BIGFOOT MOVEMENT?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

BIGFOOT MOVEMENT?

Postby O.D.Lid » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:19 pm

:help: Has anyone out there come up with any :huh: ideas/prototypes of some way to get movement out of your bigfoot decoys? I bought their tri-leg thing a few years back with the rubber bands. What a hassel those were. I have been :hammer: tinkering with a couple of ideas!
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Re: BIGFOOT MOVEMENT?

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:30 am

I have converted a couple to the GHG motion cone system but don't use them that way very often. You can convert them but still use the legs on them if you want to. The only thing I found is that the GHG stakes are a bit short because the BF is so large.

Cut out the inner circle in the foot attachment part of the body. Use a stick or steel rod to find the balance point and drill a small hole in the back. Insert the motion cone and screw to the body. Note that the motion cone will be a very tight fit going through the hole and you may need the assitance of someone with small hands to hold it in place while you are screwing it to the body.

As you see in the picture the attachment points for the foot assembly are still intact so they can be used. You wouldn't have to use the motion cone. You could simply put a hole in the back and use a motion stake, but you might get some spin and it might be harder to find the hole in the dark that it would be with a shell. If you have the originals and the B-2s I would recomend doing it on the B-2s as the smaller decoy will be less weight on the stake and will give you more stake length to work with.

Another Idea I had was to insert the motion cone then drill a hole through the foot assembly so a plain rod could be inserted without taking the feet off. Again there would be no spin control Unless one welded a T onto the rod that would stop against the legs.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:26 am

All the piles of geese killed over bigfoots in the last 25 years pretty much proves that you don't need movement...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Have hunted with a couple guys that re-worked the Big Foot bases to add movement to the decoys. Worked great! go for it. BUT.... I think all ya need to do is add a few shells on action stakes. Easy to set up and does add some motion to your spread.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:19 am

Motion is over-rated. thats what my flag is for.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:33 am

Huntfish12 wrote:Motion is over-rated. thats what my flag is for.

Agreed....
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:51 pm

My finished Standard Bigfoot motion conversion .
jjjjjImage
Components used a fender washer some small dia. tubing and a ball bearing .
I trimed the fender washer to fit the contour of the foot base and spot welded the tubing in the center of it . The 1/4" ball bearing was spotted in the top end of the tubing to close the end of the tubing and give it a smooth surface for the end of the stand to rotate back and forth on.
5/16 " bungee cord off E bay
I bought the motion stands of E Bay cheap cut them off square at 7 1/2 " tall . The flat top end of the stand turns easily in the breeze rotating against the ball bearing . I spot welded the bungee hook to the stands riser.

I have 18 Bigfoots all converted to motion decoys . You can see them hanging from my trailer wall (right) ready for transport . They work great in the field and have plenty of movement . If you can find a deal on the stands it is a cheap conversion that seems to work as well as any of the other brands I have . Avians,GHG.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:27 pm

Hey thats great GOOD JOB :thumbsup: I still have the legs that came with the "motion legs" and the three peg with rubber bands big foot sold awhile back so I could eliminate the washer thing and build some stands like you did :thumbsup: Awesome job partner! thanks
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:20 am

Huntfish12 wrote:Motion is over-rated. thats what my flag is for.

I still stand behind this, but if you are going to go out of your way to create a motion system, then do it right like Mr. O Neal. Awesome job dude! You should post this in the DIY section.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:04 pm

O.D.Lid wrote:Hey thats great GOOD JOB :thumbsup: I still have the legs that came with the "motion legs" and the three peg with rubber bands big foot sold awhile back so I could eliminate the washer thing and build some stands like you did :thumbsup: Awesome job partner! thanks

Since you already have the Bigfoot motion legs you are well on your way . The conversion is much simpler. Pictured is the motion legs sold by Bigfoot . The receiver that fits onto the motion stand is tapered inside at the top so the top of the motion stand needs to be tapered to match it to insure free movement .I simply took a piece of small dia. tubing that the stand end would just slip through and clamped it to my grinder at the correct angle . Slip the end of the stand through the tubing till it contacts the grinding wheel and start turning till it grinds the correct taper . Takes about a minute . I didnt have enough motion legs to do all my bigfeet so I had to come up with the washer tubing method for the rest . You can make the stand height as tall as desired . I arrived at the 7 1/2" height because it appeared to look correct for the decoys body size in the field .

JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum