Browning BPS

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Browning BPS

Postby RedPup » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:58 pm

I am thinking of buying a new BPS. I narrowed it down to either a 28 gauge with 26" barrel, or the 16 gauge Upland Special with the 24" barrel.

My plan is to use it mainly for quail, woodcock and grouse, with the occasional wood duck shot off of local ponds.

I am left-handed, and I always seem to shoot these well. Plus I reload, so I'm not worried about scarce ammo.

Do any of you have any experience with either of these? Any good and bad would be welcome. Thank you.
RedPup
hunter

Re: Browning BPS

Postby Windrider » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:05 pm

I have experience with the BPS and it's original predecessor the Remington 17. Both in 20ga. I have been pondering the new Ithaca ultra lights. It is a wonderful design for the lefty. :grooving: I'm on my second 20ga which currently has a low round count. I may be loading up 1oz of bismuth 5s to spank,some ducks this year.

I believe the 16ga BPS is built on the 12ga frame and the 28ga is built on the 20ga frame.

I'm a pretty big fan of the 16ga in general, but prefer the older guns that are built on a 16ga frame.
Windrider
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:02 pm

I have a BPS 28ga, very nice gun. I don't know about the other pump 28's but the Browning has the invector choke system which makes it nice. I also have a 28ga Remington 870 Express, it shoots great but it does not have the quality of the BPS.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Did you look into the Ithaca 37, or are they out of your price range? Also very good quality, and lighter in weight.
Just thought I would throw that out there in case you haven't considered it.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:41 pm

Cootlover on here has an Ithica 37 28ga, it's a nice gun maybe he'll chime in.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby RedPup » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:50 am

The current Browning web catalog claims that the 16 gauge guns are built on a 20 gauge frame. The 28 is built on the 20 gauge frame, same as the Citori.

Have not thought about a new Ithaca Model 37. I do know that they are quality guns. I have owned a 1950's era 37 in 16 gauge for many years. I just don't want to shoot steel or Hevi-Shot through it. In my opinion, the "Classic Doubles" load is too light for ducks.

I like the BPS. The price is right for the quality, and I like the tang safety. Plus, extra choke tubes are much easier to find.
RedPup
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:50 pm

I have a BPS-20 and love shooting it. It's light to carry and makes a great chukar gun.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby Windrider » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:58 pm

16 on a 20. I could do that.

I'll have to look into that myself.
Windrider
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:51 pm

I have been shooting a 20ga BPS for several years. Very happy with it for what I use it for
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:05 pm

I have itacha 37 in 28 gauge man its one hell of a shooter I got the basic metal with AAA wood very good looking gun. I shot 27 yard trap with a full choke and it was crushing the clays .I wish lead was legal for waterfowl I would love to hunt ducks with it. I also have a CG summit LTD 32 inch sporting clays in 28 gauge now that's a sweet gun .
cootlover
hunter

Postby 35rem » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:17 pm

Windrider wrote:I have experience with the BPS and it's original predecessor the Remington 17.

Whaaaa? The Remington 17 is the design that Ithaca bought and became the 37. Neither are a BPS
35rem
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:25 pm

I also suggest looking into the Ithaca. I really like mine and plan to order another within the next few weeks. They are made in USA too. :thumbsup:

The Browning BPS is a good gun from what I have heard. The one negative (from what my friend told me that owned one) is that it is a real pain to take apart and get back together. I have no experience trying but wanted to make sure you were aware.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Windrider » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:21 pm

35rem wrote:
Windrider wrote:I have experience with the BPS and it's original predecessor the Remington 17.

Whaaaa? The Remington 17 is the design that Ithaca bought and became the 37. Neither are a BPS

The BPS was brought out by browning in one of the (unfortunately many) times that Ithaca was insolvent.

The rem 17 and Ithaca 37 parts are somewhat interchangeable. (Unfortunately not the left handed safety.) The BPS far less so, but it is the same basic bottom feed, bottom eject design though modernized in many ways. (How about those half threaded barrel to receiver matchup in the old days?) Ever taken a BPS and one of the other two apart? Remarkable similarities including the not so fun reassembly.

I do wish the BPS and current 37s would fire every time the slide went forward. That was always big fun.
Windrider
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:08 am

One of the advantages of the BPS is the double action bars that prevent much of the binding & twisting that some pumps are prone to. That said the 37 is one fine piece in its own right. I have my Dad's 12 & 20 featherlights that I learned to shoot with some 35+ years ago and they are dependable guns that are very easy to maintain (and they both will slam fire which is fun when shooting multiple clays thrown at once)...just remember to loosten the stock bolt a tad to release the bolt mechanism for disassembly. My old BPS is also very dependable but a tad more involved to disassemble. You really can't go wrong with either.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:56 am

Specklebelly wrote:The Browning BPS is a good gun from what I have heard. The one negative (from what my friend told me that owned one) is that it is a real pain to take apart and get back together. I have no experience trying but wanted to make sure you were aware.

I have taken apart 2 of them, a 2011 BPS 12ga 3.5", and a 1991 10ga Field. The 12ga was one of the easiest shotguns I've ever put back together. However the 10ga was a little more difficult...turned out I had the half moon shaped pins on the trigger assembly the opposite of what they should've been, then it went back together. Just had to figure out how everything was supposed to line up. But again, the newer model 12ga I have was extremely simple....probably the same for all the newer gauges.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum