Looking for a crane hunt this year. Can trade

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Looking for a crane hunt this year. Can trade

Postby Waldoo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:22 pm

Little background. I am U.S. Army. I could kick myself for not going for a swan when I was stationed in VA. A few years ago I was stationed at Fort Riley and tried 3 years in a row for a crane at Cheyenne Bottoms with no luck. Well, now I'm back, at Fort Leavenworth, and would like to get a minimum of a crane each for me and my two boys, just to check something off our bucket lists. I have 2 crane decoys. I usually do really good duck hunting at Cheyenne Bottoms and Milford Wetlands. Really good = in the area of 300 birds a season out of the boat. I have good boat, dog,16 doz decoys, 5 spinners, etc. I would be willing to take someone out duck hunting at Cheyenne Bottoms, Milford Wetlands, Perry Wetlands, Kansas or Missouri Rivers a few times if someone could help me out getting on some cranes. Please don't blast me. I scouted 3 years by doing research online and putting many miles on the truck with no luck. Never actually ever could find one in a field or marsh. I really need some assistance with it. I could even help someone out with some prairie chickens at Fort Riley if that is something you would be interested in getting. You can PM me here or email me at wadoo00@yahoo.com if your willing to give me a hand. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
2013 - 2014
Turkey - 2
Dove - 37
Blue Wing - 117
Green Wing - 22
Redhead - 5
Shoveler - 8
Pintail - 8
Mallard - 1
Gadwall - 5
Ringneck - 1
Hooded Merganser - 1
Waldoo
hunter

Re: Looking for a crane hunt this year. Can trade

Postby mudpack » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:21 am

Thank you for your service.
I hope you have some luck with your crane hunting. There are only about 400 crane hunters in Kansas (based on HIP data), so the odds of lining out with one of them are not as good as, say, with a goose hunter (14,000 in Kansas).
I have access to property just north of the Bottoms, and there were cranes on it two years ago. If he gets some this year, I might be able to pull off a pass shoot, but I have no decoys. I'll keep your thread handy in case the birds cooperate.
Again, I wish you well in your quest.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting