Minimum field spread?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Minimum field spread?

Postby duckhunter888 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:00 pm

I don't have a decoy trailer and was wondering what everyone's take is on how many dekes (geese and ducks) for the minimum field spread. My intention would be to shoot geese and ducks. I have 2 spinners and right now 1 dozen fb mallard ducks, and 3 dozen fb geese (lessors). I'm thinking this is a about right.
duckhunter888
hunter

Re: Minimum field spread?

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:55 am

That's about what I use. I don't have. A trailer, just squeeze as many decoys in my vehicle as I can. Which turns out to be two layouts, and four dozen fb geese. I kill birds. Well, sometimes I kill birds.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:26 am

We use 12 dozen shells in canada. They fit in truck easily.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:09 am

I'm running about 40 Bigfoots and can suppliment that with another 4 dozen shells if i need to (but rarely do)
I also have 2 dozen FB ducks and another 2 doze duck shells but I'm not sure they add that much to the spread. I generally use them if i'm in a flooded field settup. I rarely have more than 2 people in this spread and generally am by myself and do OK..
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:12 pm

duckhunter888 wrote:I don't have a decoy trailer and was wondering what everyone's take is on how many dekes (geese and ducks) for the minimum field spread. My intention would be to shoot geese and ducks. I have 2 spinners and right now 1 dozen fb mallard ducks, and 3 dozen fb geese (lessors). I'm thinking this is a about right.

that size spread shouldnt have a problem killing birds.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:11 pm

hell i kill birds with 2 dozen goose shells and 2 spinners when i dont feel like hualing full bodies
mallards 8 (1band)
Wigeon 1
Pintail 1
woodies 7
goldens 3
buffies 1
bluebills 1
geese 57
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby maineducker » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:38 pm

If you're thinking of adding more goose decoys I'd go with silhouettes. I use Real Geese and they're amazing. Each year I use fewer and fewer full bodies since the silo's work so well. Plus you could probably get 1,000 of them into a Honda Civic! :lol3: As for your spread size, that's a good starting point. Always good to have more on hand, especially as the season wears on.
maineducker
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum