The Ice????

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

The Ice????

Postby Mallyard » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:07 am

What do you guys usually do for ducks when things are iced over like this? Just switch over to goose hunting? I'd still like to get in a few more productive duck hunts this year.... Any suggestions appriciated...

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:44 am

Field hunting or the river. THe ducks didn't coem to our field this morning but they will be here this evening in full force. We have about 150 canadas and some ducks utilizing our river spot. They will get it day after christmas
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby razorbackhunter » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:29 am

Drive to Arkansas. Me and 5 other guys slayed 'em day after Christmas. Everybody shot a limit by 9:30. Believe it or not, that was even in Northwest Arkansas, not Stuttgart.
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby rivrduk » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:43 pm

Congratulations on your hunt! Where in NWA did you have such a good hunt? I have not been able to find the birds in such numbers. Hood here Gad there very few Green heads. Birds are scattered. I did hear that the White close to Fayetteville had some good birds during the ice.
rivrduk
hunter

NWA hunt

Postby razorbackhunter » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:21 am

We hunted the upper areas of war eagle creek as it comes into beaver lake. It took us two hours to get up the creek but when we finally found open water, it was unbelievable. I bet we saw over 1000 birds in flight. I've never had that good of a hunt in NWA, and before I moved to KS, I lived in Fayetteville for ten years. After everything thawed, it was not near as good.
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:39 pm

What we did when it was icy was just drive around teh lake we hunt. Found this nice little stream to hunt on that was about 4 ft deep and around out of the lake we did real well.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:14 pm

I've had some luck hunting the spillway off the lake near where I live. Water was fast moving and DEEP, but it was better than not hunting. Also, like ks_waterfowler said field hunting or rivers.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting