Guide Service on the Mississippi

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Guide Service on the Mississippi

Postby RookieJ » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:24 pm

I'm a neighbor from the north hoping to prolong my duck season a bit and hopefully hunt some divers on the river by coming down. I've done a bit of internet searching and can't seem to find any Illinois guides on the Mississippi. Was wondering if anyone on here could help me out and point me in the direction of a good guide on the river.
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Re: Guide Service on the Mississippi

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:40 am

Don't quote me on this but I know the majority if not all of the Illinois Mississippi waters are controlled by the state. In turn it is illegal to guide (profit) from those designated areas. I have heard of guides in the pool 9 area and there is some killer diver hunting up that way.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:19 am

Yea your best bet would to find possibly a guide that owns a river island or something like that because that's private land so they probably would be able to outfit that.
luie b
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 am

luie b wrote:Yea your best bet would to find possibly a guide that owns a river island or something like that because that's private land so they probably would be able to outfit that.

Agreed.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Mississippi River Pools 12-14 are federally controlled. Used to be a couple guides 20 years ago, none that I know of nowadays. I think you just need a federal outfitters license to guide on the river here, but I am not sure how or what they cost to get one.

Might try to swap a hunt with someone on here.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby RookieJ » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

Only my 4th year of duck hunting coming up so still trying to find my spots to be comfortable enough to offer a decent enough hunt to trade.

Still haven't got a pintail yet and don't see too many of them here. Heard you guys get decent numbers so maybe I'll look for a guide for that instead. I'll save the divers for when I get to hunt Green Bay.
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Postby straitkilla02 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:05 pm

Who ever told you there are decent numbers of pintails on the Mississippi River has no clue what they are talking about. Only reason to hunt the Mississippi is for divers. Other than that its hit or miss.
straitkilla02
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Yea I only know one person that has ever killed a pintail on the river and that was a HUGE deal around here. If you ask guys on the river what birds they've gotten so far in a season it typically is all divers (bluebills, ringers, maybe a can or two, and lots of teal and spoonies). In fact most only kill a couple mallards in a season which I find astounding. I mean, I like killing ducks like everybody else but I'd rather have lots of days where I go home empty handed but on good days kill good numbers of mallards than kill at least a few divers on a daily basis. Mallards are just the way to go in my opinion.
luie b
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:34 am

It all depends on where a bouts on the river you are hunting, in terms of killing mallards. First week of the season last year thats all we shot. Back waters are where you get your green heads. If you want to shoot a good pinner, go to Louisiana. The pintail migration is hit and miss around the central part of the Mississippi flyway, and they are extremely difficult to decoy at times as well, and most are not in their full plumage with big sprigs. We got into a decent pintail shoot early in the season last year over flooded corn and took a few nice drakes, none with sprigs however. Of all my years hunting I have only shot one good bull sprig in IL and that was mid december, and it was one of the few pintails we saw that day, and he came in with a group of mallards.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby SPatrick » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:39 am

And to answer the other question, yes, it is illegal to guide on public land in the state of IL, as well as most other states as well.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby diverhunter50 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:16 am

People on here are talking different parts of the Mississippi River. We hold a decent number of pintails early season (no wall hangers) and it is quite common to kill one on the Mississippi River around here, and mallards are the main or number two shot duck in my area. We also hold one of the larger concentrations of Canvasback outside of Pool 9.

I will not argue the fact that It may be illegal to guide on state public ground in Illinois, but I am pretty sure it is legal to guide on federal public ground pending proper outfitter licensing. Where do you think all the guides run in Pool 9 - "The Upper Mississippi River US Fish and Wildlife Refuge". I don't see why it would be any different all the way to Pool 14 where the USFWS Land ends.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby RookieJ » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:59 am

Yeah, I didn't mean pintails on the river. I was going to scratch the hunting the river idea and save that for a trip here in Wisconsin where I can hire a guide. Are there not decent pintail numbers off the river? Also if anyone has any guide recommendations for marsh, flooded corn, lake hunts that may yield some pintails in Southern Illinois I'd appreciate it.
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:41 pm

Pffft. Yall are talking crazy in here tonight. Mallards are the #1 duck I kill in terms of numbers each season, and we also kill a few Pintail each season as well. This was a solo hunt. :yes:
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1378442485782.jpg
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:34 am

You only get birds like that when you head north from your uncle's cabin. You need to try heading south once and the colors change! :thumbsup:
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:55 am

diverhunter50 wrote:You only get birds like that when you head north from your uncle's cabin. You need to try heading south once and the colors change! :thumbsup:

Ha! Shoot me a pm :yes:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Did someone say mallards? I heard it two forums over.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting