Snakes... HELP!!!

If you have any DHC SITE, FORUMS, or LOGGING IN issues or general computer problems, please post them here.

Snakes... HELP!!!

Postby no3topqb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:50 pm

OK, I know its a far cry from ducks but I need help. My wife and I are building a new house out in the boonies. So far during the construction process, we have killed 3 copperheads. My main concern is my 2 year old daughter who loves playing outside. Is there any thing I can do to repel more snakes from coming around the house???

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
no3topqb
hunter

Re: Snakes... HELP!!!

Postby :-) » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:34 pm

Cats, electric fence, keep the grass cut low, no flower beds for a couple years, remove brush piles, remove anything in the yard that would attract rodents.

I had the same issue with rattlesnakes, and you've got to remember you are building on their property. After a couple years you'll notice they've moved on to bigger and better places, and all will be well.

For now make sure everyone is aware of the problem and educate them. At 2 years old your daughter can be taught that snakes are bad.

Almost forgot...we got a dog for our kids to play with in the yard. It may sound silly, but they will let you know when something's wrong. "If they like you"

Congratulations on the new house!
:-)
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:34 am

Domestic ducks or geese as well as turkeys will keep the place snake free.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:22 pm

no3topqb wrote:OK, I know its a far cry from ducks but I need help. My wife and I are building a new house out in the boonies. So far during the construction process, we have killed 3 copperheads. My main concern is my 2 year old daughter who loves playing outside. Is there any thing I can do to repel more snakes from coming around the house???

Throw down rock salt and/or moth balls. You have to read on how to do it so you don't trap them in. It burns there bellies and they won't cross it. You have to start around the house and work out, I believe, but google it online. Never done it, I hate snakes but hear it works really well. You need to make sure your daughter does not get a hold of the moth balls and tries to eat them. Otherwise, you get adopt a pet mongoose.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:03 pm

I have a German Shepherd that is very protective against strangers coming up to the house. Not sure how ducks or geese would work out with him... I have heard mixed feedback about the mothballs. Thanks for all the help.

no3topqb
hunter

Return to Duckhuntingchat.com Site Issues Forum