CT Hunter Headed North

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

CT Hunter Headed North

Postby Easternflywayhunter61 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Hey guys, I am new to the chat and had a question about hunting northern maine. i have a opportunity to hunt a friends farm in the northwestern corner of maine near the canadian border. He has fields and a river on his property. planning on heading up for the october opener. Any advice and/or forcasts for that area at that time? We already have the spots just anxious to know what to expect.
Easternflywayhunter61
hunter

Re: CT Hunter Headed North

Postby Seaductor » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:04 pm

We're seeing a lot of ducks this year. Way better than last year. As far as NW Maine goes, it's a big area and there is some diverse habitat there. Not knowing where you are going doesn't help much. Field hunting that early will depend on what the field has in it and what the state of the harvest is. Basically you haven't provided enough info for any of us to provide you with decent intel!!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:48 pm

Easternflywayhunter61 wrote:Hey guys, I am new to the chat and had a question about hunting northern maine. i have a opportunity to hunt a friends farm in the northwestern corner of maine near the canadian border. He has fields and a river on his property. planning on heading up for the october opener. Any advice and/or forcasts for that area at that time? We already have the spots just anxious to know what to expect.

Are we talking "true northwest Maine"- as in St. John River/Town of Allagash Region?
R-Factor
hunter

Postby hickunit » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Where exactly are you going to be....I am in Northern Maine....Live in Fort Fairfield....
hickunit
hunter

Postby Easternflywayhunter61 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:19 pm

we are headed to northern caribou and are going to try fields and some wetlands on the property along with some other spots for ducks and geese. I believe the fields are potato and broccoli. thanks for the responses.
Easternflywayhunter61
hunter

Postby hickunit » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:36 am

Easternflywayhunter61 wrote:we are headed to northern caribou and are going to try fields and some wetlands on the property along with some other spots for ducks and geese. I believe the fields are potato and broccoli. thanks for the responses.

Fort Fairfield is right next door, only 10 miles away. Farmers are just now starting to harvest the potatoes. There are some fields that have been done but not many. Most broccoli fields have been harvested and plowed under but the geese are still using them for some reason. Geese are hit or miss early season up here. There is a HUGE influx in people jump shooting geese in fields and scaring them off. So there is no consistency...
hickunit
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:41 am

hickunit wrote:There is a HUGE influx in people jump shooting geese in fields and scaring them off. So there is no consistency...

Yeah, that seems to be the popular thing all over right now. :rolleyes:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Easternflywayhunter61 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks for the input! Jump shooting is not our cup of tea but to each his own.
Easternflywayhunter61
hunter

Postby Easternflywayhunter61 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:51 pm

What about ducks?
Easternflywayhunter61
hunter

Postby hickunit » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:36 pm

There are ducks around....but its that way every year...come opening day...they completely disappear.....
hickunit
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:19 am

I can't wait til partridge opens so all those early season goose jumpers will be out riding the woods roads, drinking beer, and shooting out of the windows of their vehicles!!! That's way easier for them than having to get out of the truck and blast at some geese at 150 yards!!

Also moose season opens, the idiots are all racing around weither they have a permit or not. :fingerhead:
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting