first time saginaw bay, help!!!

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

first time saginaw bay, help!!!

Postby cdycam32 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:40 pm

My buddies and I have planned to embark on our first trip to Saginaw bay here in Michigan this year. We have a lot of experience with puddle ducks and some with divers. I'm looking for any kind of tips, word of wisdom, or facts about a hunt like this. For this hunt we will be using a 14ft deep v with a 20 horse. It also has a very well made custom blind. We have 2 doz Dakota mallards and 2 doz misc divers. As if right now all dekes are single rigged with about 12 of line. We will be going at the end if October or early November for a 3 day trip. What do I gotta do to kill birds???? :lol3: :lol3:
cdycam32
hunter

Re: first time saginaw bay, help!!!

Postby LayedOut » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Watch the weather.
"Down in front...Commin right down the middle, LOCKED and LOADED...........TAKE EM"
LayedOut
Forum Moderator

Postby Bo Beaver » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Watch yourself if the wind switches anywhere out of the south, pulls the water level down in a quick hurry. Don't be in a hurry, there are plenty of rocks, reefs, and shoals that are closer to the surface in the lower water levels. Good luck.
"Fear and dread of you shall be upon the beasts of the earth, and the fowl of the air, all that moves upon the earth, and all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be meat for you." Gen9:2
Bo Beaver
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:19 am

Watch the weather is the best advice to take, I seen that bay do some damage in a hurry. I live about 2 miles from the bay and watch it almost every day. There's good hunting around the man made island out in front of consumers power plant and that will protect you from the weather if it turn on you..12 foot of line should be alright in most places but not all, just check before dropping out..Good luck and be safe..
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Do A Google search for duck hunting, diver hunting, and other duck hunting articles on the area. Call some local sporting good stores in the area and ask for their duck hunting staffers. Chat them up and ask some basic questions. Google Earth the area and get a marine navigation chart of the area. Depth finder on your boat, etc.....

A 14 foot boat is not very big when the water gets rough. SAFETY FIRST!
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:10 pm

I wouldn't go out on Saginaw by myself in a little boat like that. Let alone with others and gear.

Good luck
hankyorke
hunter

Postby timmer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:18 am

be prepared to have competition with about 12 other boats, I go out of linwood and there are boats everywhere, but you will kill birds last year we got ruddys, oldsquaw, buffies, 1 canvasback, and lots of bluebills along with your occasional puddleduck.
timmer
hunter

Postby alipinski397 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Bring a bigger boat - 14ft is way to small for open water Saginaw bay that time of year. Fishing in the middle of the summer on a calm day with 70 deg water temps is one thing, totally different when your talking 40 deg water and unpredictable weather.
alipinski397
hunter

Postby cdycam32 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:51 am

Ok so if you would say our boat would be iffy for the bay is there anywhere that we can access shoreline and be able to kill ducks?
cdycam32
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:07 am

what about an 18 ft?
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby John Singer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:35 pm

Much of the Bay is very shallow. You do not need an ocean liner to hunt the Bay. With a small boat, you will not be going off shore to the shipping channel. It is not necessary to do that to kill ducks on the Bay. Many areas on the Bay are very shallow. If you are careful and watch the weather, you can hunt these areas safely. Such areas include Quannicassee, Bay Port, and Geiger Road. Many guys do not even use boats but walk into the Bay from shore.
John Singer
John Singer
hunter

Postby cdycam32 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks a lot everybody, we decided to stay here in west Michigan this year and wait to venture to Saginaw till next year when we can take a summer fishing trip and determine what we are up against. Again thanks for the warnings and info, I'm sure my wife would thank you! :bow: :smile: :beer:
cdycam32
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting