When To Replace Shocks?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

When To Replace Shocks?

Postby California Sprig » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:59 pm

I have a Toyota Tacoma double cab 4x4 with the off road package I bought new in 2009. It has 50,000 on it. It came with Bilstein shocks. Today I got a 2013 exact same truck as a loaner while my wife's vehicle is in the body shop. (Nice vehicle as a loaner/rental). I put 150 miles on it today and noticed a more ridged stiffer ride than my 2009. The ride in my 2009 seems solid and stiff, what you would expect in a 4x4 but still the difference in the 2 was noticeable. I don't notice any extra play in the steering and the tires are wearing normally on the 2009, and I don't notice any sway even when pulling a trailer. I am wondering if it might be time to install new shocks, probably Bilsteins again. I would expect to get more miles out of them but they are original factory Bilsteins and I don't know exactly what model or grade of shocks they installed, only that they are bilsteins as part of the off road package. I obviously understand that I can't expect the same ride at 50,000 as is a new truck but do you think I should be looking at replacing my shocks? Opinions?
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Re: When To Replace Shocks?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:53 am

Shocks can wear out in 30k miles or 100k + miles depends on use/ luck. Mine (rancho rs9000) have about 50k miles on them and I can tell they are starting to go. some good signs that shocks are worn, the front will dive more/ harder on braking, bounce a few times after you've stopped, bouncing after bumps, and bumps will be more harsh. Or a better test is to take the shock off and cycle it by hand. If its bad it will have an inconsistent feel when depressing it (spots of no rebound/ control), no resistance when you depress it, rebounds too fast, or does not rebound at all once depressed.

the stiffer ride on the newer truck could be to a stiffer spring used on the truck (more towing capcaity vs. your truck?? different body style 4dr vs.2dr vs. ex cab?) and the fact that your truck as more miles on it I'm betting, and the springs have fatigued/ worked some so they are softer by use.

I would stick with Bilstein's they are probably one of the best all around shocks out there for 4x4's unless you're willing to spend the $$$$ for rebuildable Fox's or King's. I plan to get some Bilstein 5100's very soon for my truck.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:37 am

What he said ^. Too many factors in play here. As a general rule of thumb I say to replace shocks every 50-60k miles
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GMC2500HD » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Dont buy rancho whatever you do, worst ride ever. Bilsteins are the way to go.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Thanks guys for the info. I am going to go ahead and replace my shocks with new Bilsteins. They aren't that expensive, I really like this truck and plan to keep it for awhile. Thanks again for the responses.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:26 am

GMC2500HD wrote:Dont buy rancho whatever you do, worst ride ever. Bilsteins are the way to go.

^ tis the truth.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum