Marsh/Slough Hunting

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Marsh/Slough Hunting

Postby mikeg1005 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:06 pm

So I have been relocated for work during the weekdays... and I found a few places to hunt within 1/2 an hour of where I am staying. Mostly marsh/slough with heavy vegetation(at least it is now). I'm planning on kayaking into these areas.

Any tips on spreads, decoy types, etc? I'm thinking 18-24 decoys is all I will be able to carry in a kayak. Looking over one of the areas today I could Identify for sure wood ducks.

I typically hunt bigger waters/along cattail shorelines so this is new to me.

Thanks,

Mike.
mikeg1005
hunter

Re: Marsh/Slough Hunting

Postby Cajun1085 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:22 pm

Depending on the size of the hole, you can be good with 6-12 dekes. A few woodies, few mallards. Bring a jerk string rig to get the water moving .
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:20 pm

This is where I do most of my hunting for ducks. IMO spread size depends on how much open water you have to work with. We've used any where from 1-11doz ducks with success. I usually hunt with 3-5doz a mixed spread of mallards, teal, pintails, gadwalls, and wegions. wood ducks would be great too.

Park in some good cover and set up and watch how they fly, I've had to move when the ducks decide one part of the slough is some how the best to be. Last season I hunted the same slough a few times and noticed the really liked a spot that was curved and just started to open up. You may even wait until you can see where they are flying to before you set up.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby macmn3 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:02 pm

I also do quite a bit of small water hunting. Being on the right part of the pothole is much more important In my experience than how many decoys you have. I usually only use a dozen to 18, and I second the motion about getting some motion out there. A little roughed up water can work magic out there
Shoot 'em dead boys
macmn3
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:32 pm

If you are hunting wood ducks it won't matter how many decoys you have or even what species they are. You definitely have to be where they want to be. Wood ducks will decoy but nothing like mallards will. Just do a lot of scouting, see where they want to be and when they want to be there and you'll be on the money.
m.teeter
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting