camo wrapping guns

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

camo wrapping guns

Postby BillMurray » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:13 pm

I was trying to save money and just bought a black synthetic gun. Doesn't make sense to me to pay an extra $150 for camo. Then looked into camo dipping which could be even more than that. I have been looking at camo wraps for a while though. Anyone ever used them? MossyOakGraphics.com and camoclad.com has some great options and their advertising looks promising. MOG even offers a 5 year warranty and waterproof options. For $25 I'm tempted to try it out. I don't want to be the guinea pig here so has anyone else had some experience with this before I jump on it?
BillMurray
hunter

Re: camo wrapping guns

Postby Blue Heron » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:15 am

I recently did on of my Bennellis with a MOG kit - took about 2 hours - was easy - looks great

Cant speak to durability yet

make sure you have a sharp razor knife
Blue Heron
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:15 am

The camo wrap kit was a waste of $25 for me. I thought it looked like junk. There was not enough material in the kit and it didnt wrap right. Looked like socks on a rooster. I good dip job is hard to beat. Selecting a good place to do your camo dip is not easy. I had one gun dipped that turned into a nightmare.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby BillMurray » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:00 pm

What size gun did you have that they didn't send you enough vinyl material to cover it? Also, was it the pre-cut forms or just the roll of camo tape to wrap the gun?

I'm not in a hurry to try, I'm just curious if it works. Bought brand new black gun because I was too cheap to pay the extra on a camo gun. I have as many cleaning kits as I do guns (Not sure why) and RemOil cans everywhere so I'm not worried about my barrel rusting or my synthetic stock. It would more be for looks
BillMurray
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:26 pm

I attemped to put it on a BPS. However, it would not have fit any gun with a barrel over 10" long. I only tried to wrap the forearm and gave up as it looked so bad. I could tell by looking that there was not enough to do the barrel. I am a do it yourself kind of guy with an art background. I should have been able to master it. I tried a hair dryer and a heat gun. I bought the heat gun just for doing this so that added to money wasted on this project. It was a pre cut kit. Since I had already owned several camo dipped guns and being familiar with they way they look, there was no way this vinyl kit would please me. Keep in mind, I have had my guns dipped for one main reason which is protection from moisture. I dont believe tape will protect the bare metal. I was planning on reselling my BPS and thought the kit would make it more attractive which it didnt. If I had planned to keep the gun, there is no way I would have tried the wrap. Also it is important to me for the film or vinyl to fit down into the checkering as the checkering serves a purpose. The vinyl does not do this, it just covers up the checkering. When it comes to camo jobs, you get what you pay for and there is no way with this low priced kit. I also had a gun dipped for only $120. That turned out to be a bust too. A good quality camo job will cost $225 after shipping charges.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:17 pm

I did my 870 with MOG and had no problem with it. It looked great when I was done and it really wasn't that hard to install. It was durable, but the only thing I noticed was that If the water got underneath the wrap anywhere, the gun would start to rust. My 870 is bad for that anyway, I can literally watch it rust in the duck blind, especially in the salt. Bought a factory camo gun this year cause I was tired of dealing with it.
dgram36
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:27 pm

dgram36 wrote:I did my 870 with MOG and had no problem with it. It looked great when I was done and it really wasn't that hard to install. It was durable, but the only thing I noticed was that If the water got underneath the wrap anywhere, the gun would start to rust. My 870 is bad for that anyway, I can literally watch it rust in the duck blind, especially in the salt. Bought a factory camo gun this year cause I was tired of dealing with it.

I am not a big camo gun guy, but you make a great point about how it helps protect from rust.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Like I said, I am not thinking of camo to hide from the ducks, but just for moisture protection. Often times during the season, I put a wet gun in a zip up case which is no big deal if your gun is camo. My SBE besides having a camo outside, also has all internal parts either chrome, aluminum, stainless or zink plated. About three seasons ago, we had a really wet one. I got tired of fighting rust. Like someone else said, their gun would rust in the blind just while looking at it. Thats how it seemed to me.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby dklaus1201 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:02 pm

I did everything on my nova except for the forend with camoclad to make it my rain/mud gun. took a little time, but looks pretty good and haven't had any problems with rust or corrosion after 2yrs.
Bill Herian wrote:If by "barrel stickers" you mean easy women, then yes, I fully endorse.
dklaus1201
hunter

Postby BillMurray » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:04 pm

I should have got the factory gun and dealt with the extra $150. Had no idea dipping was so expensive. I will say the Versamax (And I'm not trying to sell the gun here, just making myself feel better) has a "TriNyte" coating on the barrel and Nickel Teflon plated internal parts for "superior corrosion resistance". I will probably stick with a black gun for a while. Good point on the issue of water getting under the vinyl and rusting the gun. I didn't think of that. Probably happens too easily. And another good point is the vinyl not getting into the grooves of the checkering thus defeating the purpose of the checkering. I think your experiences have swayed me away from camo wrapped guns for a while longer. Thanks guys
BillMurray
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:30 pm

In the past week, I picked up a new H&R camo pump for $205. The black model sells for $174.99 at Walmart. So thats only $30 more for camo. Since I cant get a decent camo job on one of my other guns for less than $225. you might say I got the gun free that came with a 205. camo job. As much as I like shiney blue and wood stocked shotguns, taking care of a camo version is so much easier.
I have had the best luck putting a rust free finish on a shotgun with spray truck bed liner. Of course its not camo but certainly looks like a factory finish. Also, falling through the ice is possible where I hunt. If you do so, your gun usually goes in the water. So dissasembly in the blind is next. The camo gun makes clean up and drying a breeze.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:48 pm

I did a camo wrap on my Beretta 390 and loved it!

So far the wrap has held up extremely well for me. I get many compliments on it too.
I highly recommend the vinyl wrap with a word of caution. They are not custom cut!!! You will have to be creative in some parts (I.e. barrel and forearm). I will post the link to my previous thread which includes pictures of the process.

DIY Camo Wrapped Beretta 390 - w/pics
viewtopic.php?t=185716#p1609187
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby BillMurray » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Hell ya that looks great. I hope you used a stencil though because that DU head looks perfect. I'm afraid I wouldn't be creative and artistic enough to make my wrap look like that. But for $25 I think I will try on my 870 first. Thanks for the detailed post.
BillMurray
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:48 pm

BillMurray wrote:Hell ya that looks great. I hope you used a stencil though because that DU head looks perfect. I'm afraid I wouldn't be creative and artistic enough to make my wrap look like that. But for $25 I think I will try on my 870 first. Thanks for the detailed post.

Let me know if you have any questions. Keep in mind, the barrel and forearm may need to have some creativity. If you buy your wrap and need help figuring out how to place it, shoot me a pic and ill see what I can do.

Yeah I used a stencil for the DU logo. My hands are not that steady with an airbrush.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:51 pm

10gaOkie wrote:In the past week, I picked up a new H&R camo pump for $205. The black model sells for $174.99 at Walmart. So thats only $30 more for camo. Since I cant get a decent camo job on one of my other guns for less than $225. you might say I got the gun free that came with a 205. camo job. As much as I like shiney blue and wood stocked shotguns, taking care of a camo version is so much easier.
I have had the best luck putting a rust free finish on a shotgun with spray truck bed liner. Of course its not camo but certainly looks like a factory finish. Also, falling through the ice is possible where I hunt. If you do so, your gun usually goes in the water. So dissasembly in the blind is next. The camo gun makes clean up and drying a breeze.

Chris

I really like your idea of spray truck bedliner. Can you post any pics of a gun you have done that too?

I am starting to like the "black" look better than camo now (go figure), and my want to try it on some guns. How is the durability of the be liner and which brand did you use?

Thanks!
yareelohim
hunter

Postby RyanOvertime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:35 pm

I did my nova for last year. Cant remember who made the print but it worked ok. I had to use a heat gun to really get it to wrap good. Also the nova has a bunch of grooves all over it for grip which made it kind of a pain. As you can see I did not do the rib, or the forward grip. **sorry for the crappy blurry pictures**
RyanOvertime
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:06 pm

I've used the Camoclad brand vinyl wraps on both an outboard motor and a shotgun. I was more than pleased with the results. It's been on the outboard for 10 seasons and no issues whatsoever. Been on the shotgun for 8 seasons and no issues.

It all depends on the time, effort, and care you use in the application.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum