Fowl flocker kit, DIY flocking kit.

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Got the Fowl Flocker standard Canadian kit a year ago planing to do some floaters I got that didnt have flocked heads. Forgot about it, and then today I got bored and decoded I'd go pick up the paint and get them done!

I also ended up painting the tails on some shells and some other full bodies. I did 30 heads and tails all together, still have about half or better of the flocking material left! (Kit says it does 25 bigfoot heads) Pretty easy to do! Take a decoy you wish to flock, sand / scuff the paint some, clean (I used rubbing alcohol), paint (rustoliem flat black, what they suggest), and dust on the flocking!

Didnt get a ton of pics, but I have a flocked and a sanded and cleaned shell here-

here you can see the heads in the back-

So far while dry they feel pretty durable for flocking, and I think they look worlds better! pretty cheap and easy to do! I'll comment more about durability once season starts up!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Re: Fowl flocker kit, DIY flocking kit.

Postby jeepman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:39 am

The decoys look good! I did some floaters last year and they turned out well. Did you use the white for the neck patch? I wish I didn't a year later the white flocking looks pretty grungy. Next time I am just going to paint that part.
jeepman
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:41 am

No I didnt flock the white cheek patches on anything, I figured too much of the black fibers would stick in it and stay, not to mention white stains so easy!

2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:33 pm

Hey 2500 why would you waste your time flocking anything. You said yourself that flocking is only in the hunters mind. Yet now you say it's very durable and looks way better than a painted head.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:38 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:41 pm

m.teeter wrote:Hey 2500 why would you waste your time flocking anything. You said yourself that flocking is only in the hunters mind. Yet now you say it's very durable and looks way better than a painted head.

I was speaking in relation to a fully flocked decoy. I wont personally spend the $$ to run them, but I do prefer flocked heads on my goose decoys. not the whole decoy, easier to keep clean, cuts down on glare, and looks a deeper black like feathers.

a lot easier to clean a head vs. the whole decoy that is more subject to getting covered in mud anyways.

2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:19 am

Yet fully flocked dekes are all in the hunters head. If it cuts down glare on the head what do you think it'll do when the whole body is flocked.
m.teeter
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting