First Band!

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

First Band!

Postby brokermike » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:39 am

Vindication is a wonderful thing. After having a roost shot up on opening day I went after them solo this morning on some private property. I have been working on my calling all summer while driving and listening to my Bad Grammar cd. I guess it payed off. Called in my first flock of the year, right in to the decoys and dropped 4 birds out of the 5 that came in. Apparently luck was on my side as I shot three as the other two finished landing and just sat there. I jumped them up and shot one, walked over and saw something shiny.

My first band, banded in 2007 right here in Vermont.

It was an odd mix of birds, one bird tipped the scales at 11lbs and the other 3 (including the band) were all under 7. I guess a combo of lessers and greaters?
band1.JPG
brokermike
hunter

Re: First Band!

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:16 pm

More likely Juvies and adults, if I had to guess

And Congrats on the Band!!!!!!! Great Job! Thats a 6 year old bird you fooled. That must feel good.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:52 pm

HuntsCTRiver wrote:More likely Juvies and adults, if I had to guess

And Congrats on the Band!!!!!!! Great Job! Thats a 6 year old bird you fooled. That must feel good.

:clapping: :clapping: CONGRATS ON THE BAND AND YOUR IMPROVING CALLING :thumbsup: !!!You can bet that 6 yr. old has been called to before but YOUR calling brought it into gun range :grooving: :grooving: .Oldest banded bird I have killed was 8 yrs old when I called it in so I am familiar with how YOU feel :yes: :yes: :beer: .
So many geese,so much ammo,so little time left!
vt.honker
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:16 pm

Congrats on the band ! As for the weight changes in the birds, most likely juvies! Sounds like you called in a family group, two adults and 3 birds born this year! Also most of the banded birds in the early season that you shoot are resident birds,so they will have been banded here! A lot are banded in Panten Vt! We have a really good banding program here and if you make it known with the biologists in Addison, you can get in on a banding trip with them in the summer which is really cool!

Again congrats on your first band, your improved calling,and the new found ability to call birds! :thumbsup:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Nice! We're finally getting some weather that's cool enough to hunt in.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby joyfulsound866 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:33 am

Congrats on the band brother. Karma paid off!
joyfulsound866
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting