NEW TO VIRGINIA/THE SPORT ? CHECK-IN HERE!

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Re: NEW TO VIRGINIA/THE SPORT ? CHECK-IN HERE!

Postby Quackhead157 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:14 pm

New to the board! :hi:
Quackhead157
hunter

Postby Flight2BCancelled » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:33 pm

Not really new to VA been here about 10 years now .. Grew up in Florida . Started hunting about 4 years ago . New to duck hunting this season . Didn't start hunting ducks until the last 2 weeks of the season . But I'm officially hooked! Been hunting geese for few years and it's the same exciting transition into ducks . I live in Newport News area , and look forward to learning more of this sport .
Flight2BCancelled
hunter

Postby hugger73hatch » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:27 am

Been in VA my whole life 35 years....hunting since I was a kid, but not seriously til I was probably about 19. More or less watched ducks and geese on our farm for the last couple of years...decided to hunt after a couple of life long friends asked me to join them this year and am officially hooked, they have been duck hunting for a while. Love the sport, love the birds, love the comradery.
hugger73hatch
hunter

Postby Elasich » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:41 am

Ok so far this duck season has been a complete bust. I've been hunting on AP Hill and now everything is frozen. I can't stand the thought of spending the last day of the season in my living room, so if anyone can help I would really appreciate it. I live just south of Port Royal if anyone can help me out with somewhere to hunt ducks this evening or tomorrow I will be very thank full!
Eric
Elasich
hunter

Postby steelbull85 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:20 pm

Hey gents...new to the board. Been in VA for about 6 years now and just recently started duck/goose hunting and absolutely love it. Not surprised given that I grew up upland hunting in PA. Been hunting a small pond out in Fauquier County the past season, and had a little luck, but I think most were local birds. Getting a yellow lab this spring to help fuel my addiction to bird hunting. Really looking forward to the training process and eventually getting her (whenever that may be) into the field/blind. Hoping to eventually find some additional areas to hunt, but until then thought it would be nice to get some additional hunting tips from those much more experienced than me. :beer:
steelbull85
hunter

Postby lil_shawn1990 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:57 am

Hello All,
Got stationed in Virginia in April. New addict to the sport of waterfowling, done 4 hunts this year and got 1 black duck, 2 mallards, and 6 geese. Will be stocking up on gear over the summer adn training my dog. Should be set come next season. Kind of sucks that i didnt start til the end of season, but oh well, will be ready to blast some birds later!
lil_shawn1990
hunter

Postby heavyliftlegacy53d » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:22 pm

Hello all. Active Duty Marine currently stationed in Kansas City. Relatively new to waterfowl hunting. Started making my own duck calls last year and have been addicted to making them since. Didn't get a whole lot of time to hunt this season here in Missouri as I was busy building duck calls. Got orders to MCB Quantico this summer and looking to find a good group of huntin buddies for the upcoming season in VA. Don't really know squat about the area as far as waterfowl hunting goes, but will be researchin the hell out of it. See you soon.

Tyson
heavyliftlegacy53d
hunter

Postby lil_shawn1990 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:23 pm

heavyliftlegacy53d wrote:Hello all. Active Duty Marine currently stationed in Kansas City. Relatively new to waterfowl hunting. Started making my own duck calls last year and have been addicted to making them since. Didn't get a whole lot of time to hunt this season here in Missouri as I was busy building duck calls. Got orders to MCB Quantico this summer and looking to find a good group of huntin buddies for the upcoming season in VA. Don't really know squat about the area as far as waterfowl hunting goes, but will be researchin the hell out of it. See you soon.

Tyson

Hey man. Shoot me a pm sometime. I'm a Marine on Quantico as well. We can talk duck haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
lil_shawn1990
hunter

Postby Steven4est » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:06 pm

Hello all, born and raised in poquoson and finally looking to do some duck hunting. My grandfather did alot of hunting when he was younger, but I never got a chance to go so I'm trying to learn as much as I can on here before I attempt to go this fall with a buddy who is also not very knowledgable. We are fishing experts, but not much on hunting. My first question is how to get permission to use a duck blind? Or am I better off just staying in my boat?
Steven4est
hunter

Postby lil_shawn1990 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Steven4est wrote:Hello all, born and raised in poquoson and finally looking to do some duck hunting. My grandfather did alot of hunting when he was younger, but I never got a chance to go so I'm trying to learn as much as I can on here before I attempt to go this fall with a buddy who is also not very knowledgable. We are fishing experts, but not much on hunting. My first question is how to get permission to use a duck blind? Or am I better off just staying in my boat?

haha man i hope the best for you and your bud. you may learn a few things from this site. However, if you are trying to find out how to get permission to use a blind, i dont think youll find an answer in this place. Alot of us here are looking for blinds as well. Get out and find landowners on the water and talk to them.
lil_shawn1990
hunter

Postby RTducks » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:07 am

Hello all! I am originally from NoVa and lived there 22 years. Currently in the Army stationed in Kansas (which is pretty sweet for duck hunting!). I will be moving back to VA for some Army schooling down in the Petersburg area. My parents also live in the Fredricksburg area. I recently started duck hunting this past year and was hooked from day 1. I was wondering if anyone knew how the hunting was at Lake Anna, since it's 30 min from my folks. Looking to hunt there next year when I am in Virginia. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated. Most everything I know about duck hunting comes from self taught, watching youtube videos, and reading forums! Thanks!

-Bobby H
RTducks
hunter

Previous

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting