What is this oddball hybrid??

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

What is this oddball hybrid??

Postby 'JaminC'mon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:44 pm

New member on the site but have been reading posts for awhile so I know there are lots of intelligent folks here that could help answer my question.

Took some pics of a strange hybrid duck near some refuge ponds in the city park. It wintered here in WI hanging with a couple black ducks and other mallards. Recently we've been seeing it with other mallards. Wondering what it's mixed with and if it's legal to shoot should it fly out to corn fields with mallards. There is second duck similar but couldn't get pics of it. Thanks for your help.

First 4 pics are from this past weekend, multiple angles. Last 2 pics are from late winter.

'JaminC'mon
hunter

Re: What is this oddball hybrid??

Postby bknilvr00 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:10 pm

I'm fairly certain its a Black Swede. It's a domestic duck.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby 'JaminC'mon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:17 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:I'm fairly certain its a Black Swede. It's a domestic duck.

Sent from my space modulator.

After doing a Google Image search for "black swede duck" I think you're right, hate to admit it, only because I was hoping it would be something cool.

The only thing about it that makes me think otherwise is the body shape. The images of the domestic ducks show they have more of a "tank ***" like I call it which makes them unable to fly. This duck in my pics has the same body shape as the mallards around it, not disproportionate on the tail-end. I'm assuming it can fly because I've seen it on 2 different ponds and the only way from one to the next is by flying because of high fences and a steep incline between the two.

If if the duck is a Black Swede, I read they are good eating, so maybe I'll get lucky and it will fly out with the mallards to the fields and I can smack it.
'JaminC'mon
hunter

Postby Einstein » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:43 am

Swedish black. I have raised quite a few with my chickens. Don't be fooled, she's a flier. They are quite literally some of the most graceful fliers around. I once read (some years ago) that ducks were not born with the instinct to fly, that it is a learned behavior. Don't ever believe that BS. Mine were raised since day one with chickens, and one day they took to the air and never looked back. Look up a Swedish Black Drake, no doubt in my mind it could be one of the prettiest ducks out there.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting