Waders

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Waders

Postby Scotty2hotty » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm taking my son on his first duck/goose this Saturday for youth day the expected high for the day is 84 degrees. Since we both need waders for the upcomming season can I get away with buying 2ply or breathable waders and getting some thermals for later in the year or just sweat it out and get neoprenes. Thanks Scott
Better, a good days catch of fish than a lifetime of crabs... Phil Robertson
Rolling Rock Pro-Staff
Team Wise Ass
Scotty2hotty
hunter

Re: Waders

Postby doubletheshovel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:07 pm

I would suggest getting yourself 2 sets of waders. I know it sounds like a large expense but if you go to like fleet farm you can find some waders for ok prices. I would recommend getting a set of neoprene waders with like 200 to 400 gram insulate boots for early season and depending on how late you hunt a pair of 1500 to 1600 grams boots for late season. I highly recommend neoprene for movement and just using less layers. That is just my .02
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby therewillbeblood » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:29 pm

if you hunt into November neoprene waders are a must.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:50 pm

I have some 5 mm neoprene with the 1600 gram boot insulation waders that I use for all my waterfowl hunting, but also I use them for trout fishing and sometimes its in the 70's in the spring when I go. I'm kinda weird like that tho, some people are more sensitive than me I just power through everything while soaked in sweat. I'm too poor to be comfortable at all times.

But serious advice tho, if you really want your kids to stick with hunting its probably best to make sure they are comfortable to a certain degree.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:49 am

If its too much to buy two pairs buy a pair of cold weather ones and have him wear a pair of gym shorts and T-shirt during the warm months.

Layering clothes in waders to me does not work.
Just my opinion
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:50 am

On 2nd thought do you happen to live or hunt around the East Metro?

If so PM me
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby mn50racer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:40 am

I have had a pair of breathable dry-plus cabelas waders for the last 4 years and hunt from opener to season close with them. When temps get cold just layer underneath them, I have used my carhartt bibs underneath them, warmer than any neoprene waders available. I now have a pair of insulated cabelas wader pants, best investment ever. Breathables give you alot more flexibility and comfort in my opinion.
mn50racer
Newb

Postby goldfish » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:53 am

Will you really need waders this weekend? You could probably just walk out in swim suits, lol

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Scotty2hotty » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Woodrow03 wrote:On 2nd thought do you happen to live or hunt around the East Metro?

If so PM me

I left the cities 9 years ago.As far as waders go a buddy is loaning me a canoe thru October than we'll get neo's
Better, a good days catch of fish than a lifetime of crabs... Phil Robertson
Rolling Rock Pro-Staff
Team Wise Ass
Scotty2hotty
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:47 am

Make sure to shove that guy up into the cat tails good so it's stable, especially with kiddo this weekend. He'll be too excited to worry about balance I'd imagine.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby firefighter4231 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Has anyone had any luck with the breathable waders by Waterfowl wading systems? I am thinking about getting a pair for early season. I currently have 5.5mm neoprene but those are always too much if its warm out during the early season.
firefighter4231
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting