Question about woodies!

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Question about woodies!

Postby birdyhunter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Excited about hunting my first early teal season in a couple weeks. I have always focused on bow hunting and nver gave the early season any attention so I'm a little out of place. Have a couple of swamp ponds I plan on hunting that produced well for me during the regular season last year but have not seen any ducks on them so far this year. Have they just not shown up yet or should I be scouting different areas? Killed woodies, mergs, buebills and ruddys on them last year so with all this rain we've had I'm hoping for another great year this year. Good luck to all you other beak busters!

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
birdyhunter
hunter

Re: Question about woodies!

Postby hunt-chessies » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:26 pm

WELL.... if my opening day spot didn't have birds on it, then it wouldn't be my opening day spot anymore!! It can be a laundry list of reasons but if you start reading old posts and pay attention to what veterans tell rookies you should realize the term " scouting tends to show up a lot. And now I think you know why, things can change day by day, they definitely are going to change year to year. Just cause you limited every day of last season doesn't always translate. You may not kill a bird there this year. Plenty of variables you may never even know about. Get out and look
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:54 pm

hunt-chessies wrote:WELL.... if my opening day spot didn't have birds on it, then it wouldn't be my opening day spot anymore!! It can be a laundry list of reasons but if you start reading old posts and pay attention to what veterans tell rookies you should realize the term " scouting tends to show up a lot. And now I think you know why, things can change day by day, they definitely are going to change year to year. Just cause you limited every day of last season doesn't always translate. You may not kill a bird there this year. Plenty of variables you may never even know about. Get out and look

This /\
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby birdyhunter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:10 pm

I fully intend on scouting other area, and I guess I should have been more clear but my question was have the birds started showing up in any numbers yet. I wasn't really asking if I should hunt my usual spots as I'm not going to show up opening day to hunt a place I know hasnt had any birds on it. Not looking for spots or info on areas as I have plenty to hunt. just trying to find out if I'm the only one not seeing birds yet.

birdyhunter
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:14 am

If this is a place you plan to hunt for early season specifically for wood ducks, and you're not seeing any using the pond, I would start considering other options. Last year water levels were low, and birds were much more concentrated...this year there's water everywhere and birds can pick and choose where they want to be. If there's not a preferred food source in those ponds, you may not see near the number of birds you saw last year, both now and during the regular season.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:34 pm

In my opinion you probably only have resident woodducks there right now. Later on the woodies will start to migrate thats probably why you did well on the openers in regular season. Since youve never hunted the early season you have never been to that area during this time of the year to scout . I know people will get upset at this and this is only my opinion and will probably never happen ... But this is the reason i think they need to do away with the early woodduck and push up the teal limit to 6 instead. Because you are shooting your resident birds. Which in turn hurts you population in my opinion. Im treading lightly here because I know the majority of hunters like to shoot woodies in early teal. But more than likely the ducks you were seeing in the regular season havnt migrated down yet and they probably wont show until oct or nov. that being said you never know if there may be teal using it. Especially if you said you had killed bluebill and other duck species out of it.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby Bendback » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:54 am

Birdy
Where are you located?
What time of day are you scouting?
Bendback
hunter

Postby birdyhunter » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:07 am

I'm in union county about 30 miles north of Gainesville and I've been out there early morning and evenings. Checked a local backwoods lake this morning with similar results. No teal and only a couple woodies.

birdyhunter
hunter

Postby QuacknStrut » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:43 pm

In my experience, swamp ponds are perfect for the regular season and not so much for early. Most of the summer ducks are a little more spread out and not yet feeding on acorns and what not in the swamps. You would be wise to look for grass pond areas as they can be good early season spots. Just get there at first light and see if anything is flying. We have a spot we have hunted for 20 years for early and now I don't even scout it. I just show up and hunt it, and it usually produces. Not every year, but most. I am getting lazy in my old age.
QuacknStrut
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting