Call me crazy

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Call me crazy

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Im puttin the boat in the friday night before the opener and goin by boat to gator fest for a bit (if anyones going to be there...) then after it shuts down im goin to camp out and spend the night in my honey hole for opening morning so nobody sneaks in and beats me to it. :fingerhead: anyone else here do this or am i the only crazy SOB thats this mad at ducks? :beer:
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Re: Call me crazy

Postby DuckmanOK » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:25 pm

I am doing the same! So trying to figure out some good sleeping arrangements on the boat so I just have to wake up 10 minted til and load the gun! Lol

Just not sure if I can actually sleep on the land by the river but I assume the boat is okay to sleep. Hmmm
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:40 am

Better have fifteen thermacells, big tamer suit and a commercial drum of off in the boat too:lol:
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Postby 12gauge05 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Now that I live in Cypress I do the same thing your thinking of doing every friday night during the season since its a 2 hour drive by vehicle then an hour by boat to my honey hole in louisiana the only suggestion I can make is get some mosquito netting and a tiki torch or two I have a pop up blind so I just put mosquito net across the top and dry dock the boat on the bank and its really comfortable plus I've always got my spot so it makes it worth it when I don't have to deal with the screamin idiots
L[color=#FFBF00]S[color=#400040]U[/color][/color]
12gauge05
hunter

Postby Barney#1 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:13 am

That's is a little crazy but I would probably do the same if I had a sweet spot on coastal waters. . To beat the crowd in my area you don't need to worry about that. Most of them launch at shooting light :fingerhead:
I would not sleep a wink in the boat, but who does on opening day eve?
Barney#1
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:21 am

Crazy!

I'm looking forward to Gator Fest, but won't be sleeping in my boat...do you think all the extra boat activity will have an adverse effect on your hunt?

I have a strong feeling that there are going to be more boats than usual this year...hopefully we won't push all the ducks out, and you'll get a limit early.

Good luck & Happy Hunting!
:-)
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:57 am

:-) wrote:Crazy!

I'm looking forward to Gator Fest, but won't be sleeping in my boat...do you think all the extra boat activity will have an adverse effect on your hunt?

I have a strong feeling that there are going to be more boats than usual this year...hopefully we won't push all the ducks out, and you'll get a limit early.

Theres always a ton of boats out opening morning, normaly nowhere left to park at the ramp. I dont think boat traffic will make much of a diffrence, most of the traffic will be on the main river and fort anahuac. It always sounds like WW3 over there and i can never get to my spot early enough without some one beating me to it. So i decided this year im just going to spend the night im my boat, in my spot :fingerhead: i have a pretty good feeling though im going to have some jackwaggon show up at 4:30 thinking hes going get my spot with me in it and set up 75 yards from me. Happens every year......
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Duck Collector wrote:

Theres always a ton of boats out opening morning, normaly nowhere left to park at the ramp. I dont think boat traffic will make much of a diffrence, most of the traffic will be on the main river and fort anahuac. It always sounds like WW3 over there and i can never get to my spot early enough without some one beating me to it. So i decided this year im just going to spend the night im my boat, in my spot :fingerhead: i have a pretty good feeling though im going to have some jackwaggon show up at 4:30 thinking hes going get my spot with me in it and set up 75 yards from me. Happens every year......

I hate when that happens...IMO setting up within 300 yards of another hunter should be considered harassment, and we should be able to B****slap anyone not in compliance.

Maybe we should print a couple copies of the information in this link, and pass it out at the ramp on opening morning. Lol

http://refugerat.com/in-the-field/field ... e-ratguide
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:17 pm

:-) wrote:
Duck Collector wrote:

I hate when that happens...IMO setting up within 300 yards of another hunter should be considered harassment, and we should be able to B****slap anyone not in compliance.

Maybe we should print a couple copies of the information in this link, and pass it out at the ramp on opening morning. Lol

http://refugerat.com/in-the-field/field ... e-ratguide

Lol not a bad idea! I always have the boat in the water by 4:00 so that i can make sure i get my spot with out getting to close to anyone.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Windrider » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:36 pm

75 yards at 4:30.

Please.

More link 30 yards 15 minutes before legal.
:hammer:

I'm not that mad at the ducks anymore. Got a lease. Now I get up at 4am. Of course the lease doesn't have much water so I may have to get more motivated this year.
Windrider
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Windrider wrote:75 yards at 4:30.

Please.

More link 30 yards 15 minutes before legal.
:hammer:

I'm not that mad at the ducks anymore. Got a lease. Now I get up at 4am. Of course the lease doesn't have much water so I may have to get more motivated this year.

Really dont have the "15 minutes before legal time" problem. Most people here have enough common sense to stay alittle over legal distance and they do get out pretty early. The only problem like that is the jack asses that wake up around 8 and decide to go ride around in their air boats.....
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby justinsfa » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:44 pm

I would like to make 4 suggestions

1) do not drink and operate your boat after gatorfest. The GWs will be in full force on the water and will give you a BWI. GWs were also out there yesterday marking duck blinds on GPS I guess. They bounced all around in the marsh in their airboat.

2) Make sure you know where you are going. There are some giant chunks of concrete in the middle of Anahuac pocket.

3) Might want to scout first. As of yesterday, there were no birds. Only mottle ducks.

4) I hope all yall are done by 730. At 731, Im coming up onto the flats in the big boat.

And for goodness sakes, if yall have permanent blinds or temporary blinds in the pocket, don't use t-posts and just leave them out there... and if you aren't going to use a blind anymore, go out there on a north wind in February and cut down the posts to ground level.

Other than that, I hope yall kill some.
justinsfa
hunter

Postby :-) » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:36 pm

justinsfa wrote:I would like to make 4 suggestions

1) do not drink and operate your boat after gatorfest. The GWs will be in full force on the water and will give you a BWI. GWs were also out there yesterday marking duck blinds on GPS I guess. They bounced all around in the marsh in their airboat.

2) Make sure you know where you are going. There are some giant chunks of concrete in the middle of Anahuac pocket.

3) Might want to scout first. As of yesterday, there were no birds. Only mottle ducks.

4) I hope all yall are done by 730. At 731, Im coming up onto the flats in the big boat.

And for goodness sakes, if yall have permanent blinds or temporary blinds in the pocket, don't use t-posts and just leave them out there... and if you aren't going to use a blind anymore, go out there on a north wind in February and cut down the posts to ground level.

What kind of big boat do you have that you don't want to poke a hole in...how selfish of you! The t-post add needed minerals to the marsh as they rust away.

And don't even get me started on the 7:31 comment. Lol
hunter

Postby justinsfa » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:16 pm

justinsfa wrote:I would like to make 4 suggestions

What kind of big boat do you have that you don't want to poke a hole in...how selfish of you! The t-post add needed minerals to the marsh as they rust away.

And don't even get me started on the 7:31 comment. Lol

I don't mind the blinds at all... I just mind the ones that people abandon. It used to be just a few here and there, but now there are 2x4s, 4x4s, 4x6s and tposts all over the place. I was out there yesterday and was fishing in 3ft of water nearly a mile from shore and there were 6 tposts about an inch above the surface. There are easily 100 abandoned blinds in jacks pocket, if not more. Never fails that somebody will build one 50 yards from an old one instead of building theirs right on top of it. It wouldn't surprise me if Chambers County tried to enforce a permit program like is done on Wallisville, and I can't say I would really be opposed to it just so people would have to tear their blinds down each season.

I figure if you don't have a limit by 730, it aint gonna happen anyway. During big duck season, I give everybody til 9am. Now if the shooting is steady, I will wait a bit and I will never roll up and start casting in somebody's dekes, but there are just SO many folks out there now. Its nuts.

It was weird not seeing any birds out there though. I figure I would have at least jumped a group or two. But nothing. Plenty of folks scouting though.
justinsfa
hunter

Postby :-) » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:28 pm

Completely understand what you're talking about...if it don't get cleaned up they'll make some changes for sure, and if it's that bad I can't say I'd blame them.

I don't hunt there, but do plan on bringing my boat up to Gator Fest to ride around with a few folks.

Thanks for the heads up on the T-Post and other debris up there. Good luck chasing those fish around!
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:49 am

What areas were you not seeing any birds? If you dont want to say just PM me. Last i was out there they were everywhere. May have to make a trip out tomarrow afternoon now....
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby justinsfa » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:28 am

Oh, I don't care. I don't hunt back there lol.

I ran the flats from west of Red's to the East Shorline by the park. Only birds I saw were a couple of dozen mottled ducks jumped up by the GW airboat running around. I didn't ever really get up into the marsh besides running next to it in the bay waters up in the pockets. I didnt run all the way into crazy or long island, just the pocket shorelines.

I was out there all weekend. Mosquitos are terrible.

I have run that pocket all my life and it has never had as many obstacles as it does now. Not even after Rita or Ike. At least those obstacles weren't set 3 feet into the mud lol.

3 boating fatalities in that area in the last 3 years. Ya'll be careful. Lots of stuff to run into, lots of blind turns, lots of folks drinking. Sheriffs department has a new patrol rig out there too.
justinsfa
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:27 pm

justinsfa wrote:I would like to make 4 suggestions.

x infinity ... that last part especailly. And also ...

5) You've GOT to be kidding me. They're TEAL. If it was loaded with sprigs, wigeon, and mallards ... ok. I get it. But, they're TEAL.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Yep to many old blind post out there. Cant even count how many i hit friday night...alot of that trash though is from all the cabins that litteraly blew up in the last hurricane.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Duck Collector wrote:Yep to many old blind post out there. Cant even count how many i hit friday night...alot of that trash though is from all the cabins that litteraly blew up in the last hurricane.

Maybe it's time to organize a cleanup weekend...possibly after hunting season, but before it get too hot.

I'd be willing to help.
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:48 pm

Duck Collector wrote:Yep to many old blind post out there. Cant even count how many i hit friday night...alot of that trash though is from all the cabins that litteraly blew up in the last hurricane.

Maybe it's time to organize a cleanup weekend...possibly after hunting season, but before it get too hot.

I'd be willing to help.

Sounds like a good idea but as much as i hate to say it....it would take months to to even pick half of that stuff up.
The problem with having someone do something about all the old blind post is even though people may not realize it, its all private property south of the salt water barrier. The only true "public hunting" is in the project north of the salt water barrier.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby justinsfa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:16 am

Duck Collector wrote:

I'd be willing to help.

Sounds like a good idea but as much as i hate to say it....it would take months to to even pick half of that stuff up.
The problem with having someone do something about all the old blind post is even though people may not realize it, its all private property south of the salt water barrier. The only true "public hunting" is in the project north of the salt water barrier.

Only the marsh is like that, the actual pocket and navigatable waters are true public, and thats where the majority of the problem is. The private areas shouldn't be being accessed anyway.

It would take ALOT of man hours, but it would make it safer for boaters, hunters and gelcoats if somebody would go out there in February after a strong north wind in an airboat with a cordless dewalt saw and just cut the poles off flush with the bottom. You would have to do it under those conditions though. Trying to pull them out would be futile.

There are tons and tons and tons of storm debris that will never be able to be removed on the banks. Its an eyesore, but it will disentegrate one day.
justinsfa
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:27 am

The offer still stands if you want to try to put something together.

I can get the word out to TAA members, and help put a big dent in it.

Just let me know.
hunter

Postby justinsfa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:43 am

:-) wrote:The offer still stands if you want to try to put something together.

I can get the word out to TAA members, and help put a big dent in it.

Just let me know.

You have access to an airboat? I will go out there and chainsaw them down.

Mudmotors will not cut the mustard though.

I may be able to get a buddy to put his airboat to use. It would have to be done on short notice because of having to catch a front with a strong North wind.
justinsfa
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:01 am

Yes sir I own an airboat, and I know that other airboats in the area would be willing to help if we could actually set some dates.

I'll be coming in from Corpus, and it will have to be after I get my boat back from getting new poly...should be out sometime in October.

It would be a nice change of pace...picking up crab traps in the same old waters get to be boring after awhile.
hunter

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting