1st time DIY in ND

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

1st time DIY in ND

Postby jfisher » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:28 pm

I have been thinking about attempting a DIY hunt in ND soon, sounds like the Devil's Lake area is the place to be and was looking for some help/info. I guess 1st question is what would be best time of year? Also, I am use to hunting the "pot-holes" in PA, basically very small depressions in the corn fields, that are only knee-waist deep. Is this the same for the most part in ND or would you recommend bringing a boat along?

Any info someone could provide I would greatly appreciate, just trying to figure out if this would be do-able and where to begin!
jfisher
hunter

1st time DIY in ND

Postby BKScripto » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:27 am

Are ya trying to plan a trip for this season? Seems like you're late in the game. Lots of gear and prep needed for that kind of a trip. My trip had been in the making for months.

To answer your question though, a boat is not needed unless you want to hunt divers on big water.

Best time of year is hard to pin-point since it can vary each year.
BKScripto
hunter

Re: 1st time DIY in ND

Postby jfisher » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:04 am

No thinking for next year.
jfisher
hunter

Postby thefix » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:12 am

You never can tell on any given day how the wind will be here. When you come up things might be calm and the lakes fine for whatever boat you have, or the water could be rough and you need a v-hull and maybe not even that, impossible to say. This is wind country, nothing to stop it so picking good days to be on the lakes would be a crap shoot. Plenty to find in the fields and sloughs so I'd suggest aim for that if you're needing to pick your days in advance.
thefix
Newb

Postby tbossart » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:43 am

You can hunt pot holes or sloughs or in the field. When you hunt in PA do you decoy? Or just pass shoot? The best time of the years is when you are here...its impossible to time the migration or push out of southern canada into the northern half of ND. That being said, there are a lot of local ducks that will get pushed out to the south after the first coupel weeks of the season and then its just a matter of when the birds start to move out of Canada. I would reccomend mid to late Oct as being as decent a window as any. Devils lake has excellent hunting water or field usually the whole season. The pot holes and sloughs you can usually hunt right up to the edge and cover in the cat tails, so no boat needed. If you have to wade (as in you have no dog) then you will find some have solid stable bottoms, and others are a muck fest and suck to try and walk through. I dont hunt water at all any more and havent for years. I prefer the field. If you have never field hunted, do your home work and read up on it. Bascis are you have to plan time to scout (a lot of it) and find your feed. Then get permission if the land is posted. On that topic, in ND all land is open to hunters unless posted by the land owner. If posted, you can always ask the land owner for permission. Most land owners are very gracious. Gear for the field is another topic you can read up on. couple of tips for: Full body full motion decoys, both mallard and canadian geese ( in my opinion), a robotic decoy ( at least one) with remote turn off/on, and a layout blind are essentials. Good luck
tbossart
hunter

Postby jfisher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:26 pm

We decoy both water and fields for geese. Yeah I am hoping to try some field hunting for ducks looks like a lot of fun. They will hit the fields out here pretty good, but the only problem that I have noticed is that it is right at dark when they start flying and past legal shooting time. Do you guys have the same issues field hunting or will they hit the fields earlier in the day? I have a lot of full body goose decoys, but only a dozen full body field mallards, and am planning on borrowing some remote wing spinners from a buddy (we can't use batteried powered dekes here). Do you also put out goose decoys when hunting ducks in the fields? or do you think need more field mallards?
jfisher
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:54 am

Most days goose decoys and a few spinners are all you need.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby tbossart » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:58 am

You will be fine with the full body goose and then just a few mallards. If you are looking to shoot more ducks, make your landing area in the field in front of you according to the wind, and hide your blind in your duck deocys. Place the geese off to the upwind side and in front of you. When you see geese that are interested, turn off your spiners..they wont comitt with those going very often if at all ever. Also reccomend a goose flag strongly...easy to use and effective for sure. The ducks will feed in the fields both close to sunset and early in the mroning at or a bit earlier than sunrise. So if you find a feed in a field at night, they will likely,not always though, be there for the morning feed too. Jsut gotta scout'em out and find a good solid feed the night evening before adn they will be there the next mornign. You will wana be in palce ready to shoot about 40 mins prior to sunrise. Good luck
tbossart
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting