Need Some Help Guys!!

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Need Some Help Guys!!

Postby jmchapman3 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Alright so me and a buddy of mine have been scouting this flooded pasture the last few weeks, been holding anywhere from 75-100 geese daily. The only problem is the geese are using it as a roost pond as well as feeding. THEY NEVER LEAVE. We only have permission to hunt it in the mornings. What should we do, get there way before day and try to bump them off hoping they come back??? Or go in and try to jump shoot as many as possible?? My main question is, since they are stuck there and obviously like it, will they come back if we just casually bump them off or just need to take what we can get when we can get it.

Any advise would be great, hunting it Saturday morning so the sooner the better
Thanks
jmchapman3
hunter

Re: Need Some Help Guys!!

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:16 pm

jmchapman3 wrote:Alright so me and a buddy of mine have been scouting this flooded pasture the last few weeks, been holding anywhere from 75-100 geese daily. The only problem is the geese are using it as a roost pond as well as feeding. THEY NEVER LEAVE. We only have permission to hunt it in the mornings. What should we do, get there way before day and try to bump them off hoping they come back??? Or go in and try to jump shoot as many as possible?? My main question is, since they are stuck there and obviously like it, will they come back if we just casually bump them off or just need to take what we can get when we can get it.

Any advise would be great, hunting it Saturday morning so the sooner the better
Thanks

What is the worst that can happen if you bump them off? 1-They come back after LST; 2-They don't come back. Unfortunately, you have no way to know 100% what they will do. Try it, you will be hunting regardless. Typically, birds will come back and hopefully in smaller groups. I would suggest getting there close to LST and spook them off then. That way they don't fly back in the dark and get spooked again. Spook them once, have someone setting up blinds, etc. Have someone else setting decoys (doesn't sound like you will need many). Set up quickly and hunker down. Hopefully they circle and come back. If you go in blasting you may get some but they will not come back. If you gently urge them off the pond and don't put thefear of God in them, they are more likely to return. Good Luck
scruggs12
hunter

Postby jmchapman3 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks for the advice man. Thats what i was thinking but just wasn't positive and wanted someone else's feedback. Have about 20 or so blue winged teal coming in also, so hopefully the hunt won't be a complete bust.
jmchapman3
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:05 am

I'd bump them off early one morning and see where they go or if they come right back. That will tell you how much time you might have to set up on them. If all they do is circle and land on a different part of the same parcel, it's time to sneak and hack.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum