homeade duck retriever

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

homeade duck retriever

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:35 pm

So I was playing around on EBAY last night and found this for sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-FETCH-IT-1950S-FULL-DISPLAY-ADVERTISING-PRODUCT-FOR-DUCK-HUNTING-/350870438185?pt=US_Decoys&hash=item51b1820129
Now I have no intention of buying this item and the price seems rediculous anyway.
But how hard could it be to make one?
For those of us without a dog this could be a viable alternative. Yes I have used a fishing lure before but this seems like iike it is simpler and less likely to snag up on a missed cast.
A chunk of wood dowel tapered on the end. A piece of coat hanger or tig welding wire. A screw in eyelet.
I make my own decoy weights fishing weights and jigs so if needed drilling a hole and adding lead where needed might help and is easy to do.
It might also be useful if the area your hunting is closed to fishing or somthing like that as it is obviously not a fishing lure.
Any thoughts?

Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Re: homeade duck retriever

Postby quanah labs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Just get a lab!
Hunt like your hungry
quanah labs
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:56 am

quanah labs wrote:Just get a lab!

Yeah you have a good point. Why would I want to make one of these for less than $5 when I could just buy a purebred Lab for $1,600.
Of course then I get to spend 2 years training him which I have never done and spend a few thousand more on vet bills, training supplies,and food.
All of this for 3 or 4 hunts a year where I might actually use this.
Nothing against labs but they are not for me.
Anyway I am going to make one of these to have on hand with a fishing rod for the occasional deeper pond or lake hunt where I don't have one of my boats.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby :-) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Kasilofchrisn wrote:
quanah labs wrote:Just get a lab!

Yeah you have a good point. Why would I want to make one of these for less than $5 when I could just buy a purebred Lab for $1,600.
Of course then I get to spend 2 years training him which I have never done and spend a few thousand more on vet bills, training supplies,and food.
All of this for 3 or 4 hunts a year where I might actually use this.
Nothing against labs but they are not for me.
Anyway I am going to make one of these to have on hand with a fishing rod for the occasional deeper pond or lake hunt where I don't have one of my boats.

I have a lab...invite me on a hunting trip and I'll bring him. Lol

Seriously, keep us posted on how this works for you. I've never seen one before, and it would be neat to have...another waterfowl tool to add to the collection.
:-)
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:30 pm

:-) wrote:
I have a lab...invite me on a hunting trip and I'll bring him. Lol

Seriously, keep us posted on how this works for you. I've never seen one before, and it would be neat to have...another waterfowl tool to add to the collection.

Alaska is a long ways away from you though.lol
Yeah it is just something small a guy could use to retrive ducks without a dog or when your dog just isn't there.
It is cheap and would be effective.
It isn't often i have need for one but when I do it will be nice to have.
Last edited by Kasilofchrisn on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby :-) » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:00 pm

I missed out on a last minute Grizzly hunt a few weeks ago...that won't happen again.

If everything goes as planned I'll be making my way there for a duck hunt within a couple years...this year I'm going to Utah. It's my goal to hunt every state in the great USA before I retire from hunting.

All of my extra money goes to my hunting fund, and the wife is good with it. I'm very very lucky.
:-)
hunter

Postby ShotGunEd » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:39 am

Or just buy a big surface lure and use a fishing rod to heave it out there.
It's a good day for ducks to die...
ShotGunEd
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Well I got one made. I used scrap and it literally cost me nothing to make.
I have used fishing lures on a rod in the past. They do tend to snag in the weeds though and they cost ~$6 each every time you loose one.Plus the extra treble hooks snag a lot of stuff so you need to keep the hooks covered which isn't easy in a coat pocket.
It has been a good solution for me in the past though and I will try it again if this device proves unworthy.
This one was free and made from scrap. By design it floats well and always rolls hook down in the bucket of water test.
I might try using it with one of my short icefishing rods just to see how well that cast this thing.
It seems like it will avoid the weeds for the most part with just one large hook.
I 'll try and post a pic later.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:56 pm

It has the same hook design that I made for our extending pole Retreiver's we use in our boats to reach in to the brush of the creek and river banks , should work well
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby Gcdhunter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:23 pm

how bout a boat, canoe or kayak. I use a kayak for retrieves works nice
I hate goose poop on my golf course
Gcdhunter
hunter