Teal opener

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Re: Teal opener

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:45 pm

I guess Ill give it a try in the morning. If you run into a young, tall, slim , handsome fellow driving a Black Cadillac Pickup, Its not me
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby n2ducks » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:12 pm

cluckmeister wrote:I guess Ill give it a try in the morning. If you run into a young, tall, slim , handsome fellow driving a Black Cadillac Pickup, Its not me

Thats right, its me...
n2ducks
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:42 pm

My neighbor and I went out this morning. Raining lightly (1.5" so far today), warm, humid, not pleasant. But, the teal were still there. By 9AM we had 10 BW and 2 GW. Nobody else in the pool, no other vehicles in the parking lot when we left. We did, however, hear some sporadic and random shooting from around the waterfowl area.
I have noticed it's slowing down a bit more each day, in both numbers of birds and of hunters.

ks_waterfowler, is your buddy Richard from Arkansas??

WF1, try McPherson Wetlands.
mudpack
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Nope, he is from Kansas
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby WF1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:02 pm

We've shot some, just none on any private pieces of land that typically hold a lot of teal.
WF1
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:44 pm

mudpack wrote:ks_waterfowler, is your buddy Richard from Arkansas??

He's a guide!!! He came up for 2 weeks to guide teal hunts. The warden was telling me about him. Nothing like a little guaranteed education for the birds.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby gooshnr » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Mudpack, have the birds been decoying very well for you? I've had a hell of a time getting them to commit to the dekes. I've tried several different things but nothing is working. I guess I've attributed it to most of the birds being males and maybe they don't decoy as well. I think most years the very front edge of the migration has passed KS by the time season opens. This year seems different as I don't recall shooting so many males in past seasons. Oh well, as long as I can still hit them darting over the spread I won't complain.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:14 pm

gooshnr, of the 24 teal (22 BW 2 GW) I've taken so far, only the two GW's and two of the BW's have been hens.

Here's what I've seen in four days of hunting: 85% of the birds ignore the decoys. Whether they are flying right over the spread or are 60 yards up or 80 yards out, the decoys do not have any effect.
The other 15% waste no time in dropping into the decoys...and I mean right in the MIDDLE of the spread. Not in the open hole, not on the edges, right smack dab in the center of the blocks. Whether it's a single or a flock of 20. Many times they are in the decoys before I even see them. In reality, this is pretty much what teal season has always given me, though.

One other thing I've noticed; almost ALL of them have 1/8 to 1/4 (no exaggeration) inch of fat under the skin. These boys are eating well.

Hope they keep coming for you.
mudpack
hunter

Postby WF1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Interesting they are decoying like that for everyone else too. Our one time out I had a newer hunter (first teal hunt) with us so I put him smack dab in the center of the kill hole hoping to get him some easy shots while I sat away from it towards the edge of the spread. The birds that decoyed would all swing wide then come drop right in the larger group of dekes ignoring wind direction, etc.

Have always had teal act funny but usually some would work like its supposed to but all of the groups that committed did the exact same thing, and gave me the best shots haha.
WF1
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Get ready boys. Cool temps and winds out of the north at 10 to 15 here in MN. This weather will likely move birds south.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Went on my second hunt of the year this evening. Saw more teal than Saturday but not many. Took my first teal of the season and was satisfied. I was more happy for my lab because her patience was running out!!

So far 2 hunts both on public ground , 1 teal shot

And the best stat of the season. 0 other hunters seen
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Picture from my fathers solo hunt.
Attachments
teal13.jpg
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:13 pm

On the board. Dog found a crippled blue wing while we were out scouting tonight. Also found another that was decomposing. Maybe they should've been using something bigger than Steel 7s in their 20 ga. Never saw another hunter out looking, and never saw a teal.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:59 am

3 bwt, 3 gwt. Heard 2 other shots but neither were within 1/2 mile of me.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Congrats on the nice hunt! I bet it felt great after the slow start and all the leg work you've done. Can't wait until I have a little more success this year.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:57 pm

I'm assuming there is some sort of running joke about MPVWL that I am not up to speed on. If not, you guys are being awfully friendly.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby WF1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:06 am

Went back to hunting private land, shoulda gone to a public marsh seems that's the only place holding any teal. Saw 2 groups this morning one landed on a nearby creek the other on another pond on the property. Had 2 nice groups of gadwall (15 each group) both come in and land in the dekes, after last season it was a nice sight watching them cup up and glide in, worth the trip to see that even though we never fired a shot. Also saw a few groups of big ducks sitting in flooded fields too.

Looks like the migration has begun, very surprising that the teal haven't shown up in bigger numbers with big ducks already here.
WF1
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:12 am

I'm not complaining because i've still had fun and enjoyed getting out....but this has been the worst teal season i've ever experienced. Just can't find the birds and am still frozen on 1 teal total. Going out tomorrow and hoping today's north wind brings them in. This time i'm taking retrieval dummies because I don't think my dog is nearly as patient with this slow start as I am!
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:53 am

Ecat, you have a PM.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:17 pm

Mud did you get the PM about the banded dove
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:37 pm

My 3 yr old daughter wants to go duck hunting. So we are going to go to an easy to get to spot. If we get one great. If not I hope there are plenty of other birds up flying around. She doesn't really care what they are so as long as pelicans, comorants, seagulls, etc are flying around it will be a good time.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:07 pm

I kind of love watching the pelicans too. A lot of pelicans have migrated in during the past day or so.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:45 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:My 3 yr old daughter wants to go duck hunting. So we are going to go to an easy to get to spot. If we get one great. If not I hope there are plenty of other birds up flying around. She doesn't really care what they are so as long as pelicans, comorants, seagulls, etc are flying around it will be a good time.

Bring her to Cheyenne Bottoms; we have a plethora of gulls, swallows, dragonflies, and other winged fauna that are easily mistaken for teal at first glance. :yes:
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:52 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Mud did you get the PM about the banded dove

I hadn't seen it until now....thanks for the heads-up! Yes, the dove you shot was banded by yours truly. Congrats! That's my first return!
mudpack
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Had a magical afternoon. The 3 yr old daughter really wanted to go duck hunting. A member from another forum sent us some camo overalls free of charge and they arrived today. Got her dressed with the tinkerbell black sweatshirt, polkadot boots, and overalls. Walked into the marsh and happened to jump 300 teal out of it. Pitched out the decoys and just ended up sitting in the vegetation. Big groups decoying and we ended with 6 blue wing teal. To say she was excited is an understatement. Watching all those speedsters pitch into the decoys was much better than I could have ever hoped for.
First teal shortly into her first tag along hunt

ks_waterfowler
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting