investing in a boat

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

investing in a boat

Postby duckcomanderJR. » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:41 pm

im trying to invest in a boat but having trouble trying to figure out what i really want. needed something for duck hunting/fishing. I've pretty much decided that i wanted a flat bottom boat. when I've been looking there's been aluminum and fiberglass, this is where im having trouble i don't know what the difference is between them regarding boats? just want to get your guys thoughts on what might be good and whats not good.
if they fly they die!!
duckcomanderJR.
hunter

Re: investing in a boat

Postby :-) » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Both are good, but you need to be more specific on what your going to be doing with the boat, and where. Will you be in mud, sand, rocks, timber? How shallow do you need to run?
:-)
hunter

Postby duckcomanderJR. » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:51 pm

ill be using it on certain spots of the snake mostly. but i also want to be able to get it in shallow spots like 3ft or so.
if they fly they die!!
duckcomanderJR.
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:12 pm

Aluminum
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Aluminum Welded (not riveted). The first windy day on the snake will destroy a rivet boat going at speed in a hurry.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby duckcomanderJR. » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:31 pm

if you say aluminum whats the cons of fiberglass boats then?
if they fly they die!!
duckcomanderJR.
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:57 pm

While no boat is particularly fond of hitting rocks, aluminum boats seem to fare better in the rocky, gravel and sandy bars that one is likely to encounter on the waters of SW Idaho at least. Its not uncommon to hit a few rocks just when landing a boat along the river and Fiberglas breaks, aluminum bends.

Also, you said that you would like to run "shallow" like 3 ft. In the winter there are places where my boat never sees 3ft of water in the whole channel. 3ft would be a luxury and honestly, if you don't run in anything less than 3ft, you might be ok with a fiberglass bottom.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby rweb » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:22 am

Just for the record 3 feet is not shallow but a luxury that most never get. With that being said I think it is important that we know what kind of motor you are planning on putting on this boat if there is one. The snake river is a crazy river to say the least. Over on the east side of the state there are places that are maybe a foot deep with nothing but solid rocks to run in so any kind of prop is in some serious danger. The current is still strong enough though to need some decent horsepower to go anywhere. Not but a mile from those nasty rocks it is 15 feet deep and seems calm and easy to navigate so you have to be careful. without knowing a whole lot about your situation I would say these things. the longer and wider you can get a boat the better. length and width add surface area which equals water displacement which equals flotation. A flat bottom is a solid choice as long as you are not planning on running any big open waters. As soon as any wind picks up you will be praying for a modified v boat to cut through the chop. As long as you are sticking to the river though I would go with a flat bottom. Aluminum would be my suggestion as well. The overall life span of the boat should be much greater if you take care of it, plus no reapplying fiber glass in 5 years. Plus aluminum equals way more strength which brings me to my next point. If there is a motor the bigger the better. I would guess that hardly anyone anywhere has said" man I wish I had less horsepower to go just a bit slower." Be wise on your motor selection as well. jets are great for deeper water that has little to no vegetation to get sucked up into the jet. props are great for deeper (3 feet) water with less rock and sand to tear it up. mudmotors and great for the vegetation and mud but not so much the shallow rocks. lots to consider but there is nothing more fun then taking the boat out on the river whether during season or not. good luck
rweb
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting