Yea!!! Opening Day!!!!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Yea!!! Opening Day!!!!

Postby phutch30 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:20 pm

Left the truck at 430am at 5888' elevation
traveled 1.51 miles quartering uphill and turned up a drainage...turns out the wrong one but not before I climbed 1000' then realized my mistake....tried to fix it by climing another 1000' only to find myself stuck in some cliffs in the dark. You aint lived if you aint climber cliffs in the dark.
made it to an open saddle right at crack of daylight 1mile South of where I wanted to be and 3 miles from my truck. Stupid drainage I went up turned south away from my original destination.
So
Kept climbing and sweating and sweating and got to some good looking country. so I paralleled the main drainage for 3 miles to the South, calling and glassing.
Then
I turned up side drainage heading up hill to the east to take me back to the top of the ridge between me and where I parked which is almost 3000 feet below me now.
Started seeing a bunch of blue grouse so shot 2 boned them out put them in a baggie and kept on trucking.
Hit the ridge top and headed North and finnished the last of my water! its 930am now. Time to get the heck outa there. GPS told me its gunna be a long dry walk.
I peaked out just under 9000' and dropped into a different drainage heading downhill to the east to try and get out faster....not sure that was the case.
Got to the truck at 1215 and pulled out a bottle of water and drained it in one gulp.. mmmmm good!
Had my keys in my hand and somehow hit the alarm button. Without looking I shut it off and threw the keys on the consul...not sure why, then shut the door and walked to the front door.........................................
...............to find it FRIGGIN LOCKED!!!
no problem I have a hideakey..... correction I used to have one...GONE!!!
SO! here I am in the middle of nowhere with a locked truck, phones in the truck along with everything else.
Spent 45min finding rocks,wire and a stick to pry the door and pop the lock. FUN STUFF!
Oh yea never saw anthing without feathers. Opening day was a rough one

Cant wait for tomorrow!!!! :biggrin:
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: Yea!!! Opening Day!!!!

Postby huntfishnv » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:52 am

Nice! Of course when you need someone to be on the mountain with you they never are! I bet when you find that bull they'll be all over the place though haha
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:03 am

No complaining Phutch! There's no where remotely close to me where I can legally hunt bull elk, and I don't want to go after a cow with my B tag until things cool down a bit. I am stuck with deer in the meantime, which while fun isn't the same.

I did see a half dozen each of whitetails and mulies yesterday, along with some turkeys, pheasant, and some beavers. Only antlers were on a fork horn mulie and a deadhead.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:59 pm

had one going this morning. But appernently he didnt think I was a big enough slut to fully commit
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Jealous. Were they talking at all in your neck of the woods yet?

I'm curious to see how the guy at the Lands office next door did, I heard he had a big bull spotted.

I can't wait to get my breaks archery tag next year!
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Very little talking going on as of Sun. Should pick up this week
phutch30
hunter

Postby Wild Bob » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:58 pm

Hahahaha. That's why I stick to this more open country. LOL

Course, a fellar could get turned around anywhere in the dark...

Better days are ahead! :lol3:
Wild Bob
hunter

Location: Some where east of the continental divide but west of Roughrider Country

Postby Wild Bob » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Bulldog0156 wrote:Jealous. Were they talking at all in your neck of the woods yet?

I'm curious to see how the guy at the Lands office next door did, I heard he had a big bull spotted.

I can't wait to get my breaks archery tag next year!

Don't bother...that tag is not worth it. Much better west of the breaks... :smile:
Wild Bob
hunter

Location: Some where east of the continental divide but west of Roughrider Country

Return to Montana Duck Hunting