Need More Hunters

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Need More Hunters

Postby benjaminayoung » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:04 am

Hunters (Men and Women),

I realize this is the early season so there isn't much flying about but we as hunters, especially those that hunt the man made lakes, need to get out there and make a stand. Why you might ask? Last year I posted up some pictures of some really unethical fishermen, who harassed not only me, but all the hunters in my general area.

The early season is shaping up to be the same way. Apparently the fishermen think the lakes are theirs and will do anything to spoil your hunt. On Saturday, I had three....3, groups of fishers who decided that fishing right in front of us was OK. Now, I ordinarily don't have anything against fishers when the conditions such as the last 2 years were present (extremely low lake levels). We all have a right to the waterways, and now that the lakes are back up to full capacities, there is no need to crowd each other.

We as hunters need to have a "show of force" so to speak. By this, I don't mean to say "harass the fishers", rather make it a point in their mind that we will be using the public areas now also. I'm not condoning any vengeance activities, however we should get out there, setup, and bring a camcorder, or phone, or any other video recording device. There are laws against hunter harassment:

O.C.G.A. § 27-3-151

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2012 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2013 Regular Session ***

TITLE 27. GAME AND FISH
CHAPTER 3. WILDLIFE GENERALLY
ARTICLE 6. INTERFERENCE WITH LAWFUL TAKING

O.C.G.A. § 27-3-151 (2012)

§ 27-3-151. Activity prohibited

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to:

(1) Interfere with the lawful taking of wildlife by another person by intentionally preventing or attempting to prevent such person from such lawful taking of wildlife;

(2) Disturb or engage in activity tending to disturb wildlife for the purpose of intentionally preventing or attempting to prevent the lawful taking of such wildlife; or

(3) Fail to obey an order of a law enforcement officer to desist from conduct violating paragraph (1) or (2) of this subsection if the law enforcement officer observes such conduct or if the law enforcement officer has reasonable grounds for believing that the person has engaged in such conduct that day or that the person plans or intends to engage in such conduct that day at a specific location.

With enough video evidence, and a few harassment lawsuits filed, fishers should get the general idea.
Most Common phrases out of a duckers mouth:
Why couldn't you have been born a duck!!!
OH S*&T, DUCKS!
Damn tweedy bird, you about got shot.
There's a whole bunch of duc..oh wait, tweety birds.
I about turned this mosquito into a duck
I just got ate up
benjaminayoung
hunter

Re: Need More Hunters

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:34 am

can we do this for other duck hunters as well. have heard stories of people following other duck hunters and setting up right next to them and blasting away at anything that they saw! hasnt happened to me but still something needs to be done to stop fishermen and other hunters.

i was all ways taught first come first serve on pubic land some one beats you to your spot time to go to plan B
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby benjaminayoung » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:58 am

I suppose you can. I'm not a lawyer, but I'd think it would be more difficult to prove another hunter was commiting an offense under section (a)1 of the GA code I posted.

Had that happen to me once 2 years ago, and they couldn't shoot anything because of the way they set-up and the direction the birds were flying. So they really didn't spoil our hunt. I also hollered at them when they setup and made sure they knew that if they fired in my direction, I would't consider that an aggressive act and would take due diligence to protect myself and that of my hunting partner. I did 5 tours in Iraq and I have no problems with making sure I'm the one to come home alive. GA law follows the "Castle Docturine", in so much that you can take letheal action to protect yourself or others from "felonious" crimes and you also have NO duty to retreat.
Most Common phrases out of a duckers mouth:
Why couldn't you have been born a duck!!!
OH S*&T, DUCKS!
Damn tweedy bird, you about got shot.
There's a whole bunch of duc..oh wait, tweety birds.
I about turned this mosquito into a duck
I just got ate up
benjaminayoung
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:43 am

I would suggest you call the Sheriff's Office in the county your hunting in, and get the GW phone number and keep it with you. Call him and tell him what is going on before hand so he has a head's up, if nothing else, call the 1-800- Turn in Poachers line and they will dispatch a GW to you. Just my .02 worth.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting