custom decoy bag?

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

custom decoy bag?

Postby fowlguy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:46 am

So has anyone made thier own decoy bags? I just made me a decoy cart form a old bike trailer
And i wanted to make a bag that will fit good on it. Thought maybe someone has made there
Own bag...not sure what material to use ? Burlap?
fowlguy
hunter

Re: custom decoy bag?

Postby alan0260 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:05 am

I know guys have used shoe organizers for a slotted decoy bag, I just use GHG bags, but if you are set on making your own I would keep and eye out for old military duffel bags- they are cheap and well built. good luck
DU
NRA
OHA
CODE Greenhead
alan0260
hunter

Postby fowlguy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:49 am

Thanks i didn't even think of that...that sound like a good idea
Thanks for the help
fowlguy
hunter

Postby jpdrake » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:20 am

fowlguy, any update on your progress? I would love to see a picture. I'm looking at making my own decoy bag for my full bodies.
jpdrake
hunter

Postby foldinducks » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:00 pm

for 7 years i was an inground pool installer. there was a company by the name of meyco. they made pool covers for the winter. the covers came with a bag that was very large(5'x3.5' ), and made from a nylon mesh that is tougher than anything ive encountered. the bags didnt catch briars,stick tights, or cling ons. ive drug them on beaches,grass trails , and work on the water great.
it seemed like every year or two we would get a couple extra bags to replace ones someone drug across broom finished concrete. i have sewn a few up and when people trash these $1000 covers id scoop em up and sew new ones up. my girlfreind is still in the business, ill ask her how much a new bag is, or how to get one. they use a different company but im sure theyre all comprably priced.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby fowlguy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:48 am

foldinducks wrote:for 7 years i was an inground pool installer. there was a company by the name of meyco. they made pool covers for the winter. the covers came with a bag that was very large(5'x3.5' ), and made from a nylon mesh that is tougher than anything ive encountered. the bags didnt catch briars,stick tights, or cling ons. ive drug them on beaches,grass trails , and work on the water great.
it seemed like every year or two we would get a couple extra bags to replace ones someone drug across broom finished concrete. i have sewn a few up and when people trash these $1000 covers id scoop em up and sew new ones up. my girlfreind is still in the business, ill ask her how much a new bag is, or how to get one. they use a different company but im sure theyre all comprably priced.

Sweet Man Thanks
fowlguy
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:08 pm

I also have been thinking about this I want to do slotted bags. My families business makes vynal signs for a living. I am going to try and make a slotted decoy bag out of these with rivets from lows. The bad thing about sewing these thick materials is you got to have a mean sewing machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Postby Mholland » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:18 am

Made a few using a mesh tarp I bought at harbor freight fairly cheap. Used fish line to sew up sides.
Mholland
Newb

Postby IH8ATTN » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:37 pm

bags by Diane. not diy but her prices are affordable.
IH8ATTN
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:33 pm

IH8ATTN wrote:bags by Diane. not diy but her prices are affordable.

web address?
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:23 pm

lostknife4 wrote:
IH8ATTN wrote:bags by Diane. not diy but her prices are affordable.

web address?
Lost

Be warned!

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=94937
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby MaverickDiesel42 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:41 pm

I got sick of snags with the mesh bags and not having an extra hand to hold open the bag. These collapsible camping garbage trash cans stand alone, don't hold water, and lay flat when not in use. Usually got 18-30 birds in them depending on size/style. This is one link but there are many other variations and vendors that carry them. http://www.elementoutfitters.com/Produc ... MgodLhMAnw
Go ahead, fly away with your heart shot out...
MaverickDiesel42
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:57 pm

MaverickDiesel42 wrote:I got sick of snags with the mesh bags and not having an extra hand to hold open the bag. These collapsible camping garbage trash cans stand alone, don't hold water, and lay flat when not in use. Usually got 18-30 birds in them depending on size/style. This is one link but there are many other variations and vendors that carry them. http://www.elementoutfitters.com/Produc ... MgodLhMAnw

How do the bags hold up and how do the decoys wear? Do you use longlines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting