back bay hog hunt

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

back bay hog hunt

Postby lbhansford » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:49 am

Anyone doing the backbay hog hunt? i got pulled for oct 25th, friday... boat access only for zone 1. anyone done this before? had any luck? i have one guest pass if there is someone local that would want to use their boat since i would be trailering from yorktown all the way there. Shoot me a PM....
lbhansford
hunter

Re: back bay hog hunt

Postby flint4045 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:21 pm

You cyber scouting?????????? :lol3:
flint4045
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:40 pm

nope looking for someone that might want a free ticket to the only wild hog hunt in VA.... I was waiting on that though :lol3:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby ipittythefoo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:43 pm

I did it the last two years. First year I did the second week end. The guys that got off the bus before me got a 318 lb Hog and a thirty pound deer. Heard there were three other hogs that day. All were zone 10 and below.
Last year I did the first day. When I left at three nobody had checked any hogs in.
ipittythefoo
hunter

Postby top o va » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:08 pm

I hope you have a big boat with tall sides....
top o va
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Those hogs dig in deeper than an Alabama tick when hunters are out. They can scent you a mile away. Hunt the winds and go south and you should find one.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:20 pm

From the word on the street, nessie lives in those waters and neptune himself will swamp your boat.... on a good day :hammer:

the rules say a boat launchable without a trailer their examples being canoe, jonboat, kayak, punt boat... Gooosehunter was the first person to pop in my head. I mean you have to depart at 5:00AM IN A PADDLEBOAT ON BACK BAY?? i was really surprised.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:30 pm

Shall I call the DGIV and have it changed to include, yachts, helicopters, airplanes, bikes, and floaties (like the one of me in the picture in other thread)
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:41 pm

was seriously surprised they would encourage people to take off kayaking at dark across back bay to an unlit island DDAY style.

make a call and get me on a stand on the main land. I mean what did i do to deserve castaway island?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:01 pm

I hear the show Survivor is going to be shot on Back Bay next season. Can you imagine the snakes they would encounter? OMG! Of course, they would not be allowed to tresspass within the protection zone around my 309 blinds on the bay.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:21 pm

gooosehunter wrote:I hear the show Survivor is going to be shot on Back Bay next season. Can you imagine the snakes they would encounter? OMG! Of course, they would not be allowed to tresspass within the protection zone around my 309 blinds on the bay.

Lmao :lol:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby SwampRatNC » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Don't know what to tell you about the island. But if you can get the mainland go south and stay close to marsh and scout. This is my advice I never scouted before any of my hunts and never saw a pig, just free lanced it. Got close to some hogs(brush) and seen plenty of fresh hog crap. The brush is thick, wear some upland pants and knee high boats and you should be fine. They also like to hangout in the clumps of trees out in the marsh. If I was still in VA I would have put in for the hunt. Also if you got a short barrel for your scattergun that will help a lot, those long barrels get hung-up on everything. And if you use slugs make sure you sight in for 25yds or less. It's a jungle. Best of Luck
SwampRatNC
SwampRatNC
hunter

Postby flint4045 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:58 pm

Never been to back bay, But listening to you boys talk about. I need to make the trip one day just to see it.
flint4045
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:34 am

flint4045 wrote:Never been to back bay, But listening to you boys talk about. I need to make the trip one day just to see it.

Its like being in a costa rican jungle......

in VA... :hammer:

Yeah im used to deer hunting saltmarsh which is pretty much greenbrier and well... greenbrier so sounds simliar.

Think i am going to have to pass. I did NOT check off a box that said "boat access" and its the day before i am driving that night to ND. If it was on the main land where they drop you off in your general area I would be game or even walking all the way in that would be cool too. Going to call them and let them know to pull a standby at the gate.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Cap'm Pooty » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:36 am

aint no sense in even hunting hogs north of the back bay wildlife refuge line. And the park rangers have killed most of them at night. there aint no hogs left up there, there's more out by us on the nature conservacy across from knotts island.
Cap'm Pooty
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting