Fullbody mallards in field

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Fullbody mallards in field

Postby newbie4 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Do you guys use fullbody mallards while your field hunting or do you run all goose decoys since that works? Are there any advantages to running fullbody ducks?
newbie4
hunter

Re: Fullbody mallards in field

Postby DrakeRoth22 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:41 pm

If were u hunt they come into the geese dont change it. If it isnt broke dont fix it. :wink:
DrakeRoth22
hunter

Postby newbie4 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:53 pm

I've been looking at mallard full bodies and have noticed most people like the shells. Is $140 for 18 GHG shells with the cone motion system added a good price?
newbie4
hunter

Postby DrakeRoth22 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:36 am

if i were u just add on to your goose spread or a mojo or 2 and pass on the ducks geese have more visibility and if they already woek might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
DrakeRoth22
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:30 am

newbie4 wrote:IIs $140 for 18 GHG shells with the cone motion system added a good price?

$140 is a good price, but I never seen GHG shells come with cone system. Usually it is an 18" stake with a spring on top.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Fred_Bear » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:25 am

KillerKowalski wrote:
newbie4 wrote:IIs $140 for 18 GHG shells with the cone motion system added a good price?

$140 is a good price, but I never seen GHG shells come with cone system. Usually it is an 18" stake with a spring on top.

:hi:

I'm guessing he's getting them used being it's an odd number and they have the motion cones installed. Putting motion cones on the ghg mallard shells basically turns them into fullbodies. The good deal all depends on what kind of shape they are in and remember with those motion cones, you can no longer stack them like regular shells.

I field hunt for ducks exclusively and at least a dozen full body or shell mallards are a must, the more the merrier though really.
I add my duck decoys to the kill hole of my goose spread. Why... because in fields ducks finish on the duck decoys. You can absolutely finish ducks into an all goose spread but the problem is you can't consistently finish them in the same spot. They will land to the left, right, and behind you making for tough shots. Adding a couple dozen tightly packed full bodies or shells with a mojo or 3 in the middle of them will put those flocks of mallards and pintails right where you want em making for easy shots.
:beer:
Fred_Bear
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:56 am

Fred_Bear wrote:I'm guessing he's getting them used being it's an odd number and they have the motion cones installed. Putting motion cones on the ghg mallard shells basically turns them into fullbodies. The good deal all depends on what kind of shape they are in and remember with those motion cones, you can no longer stack them like regular shells.

Never knew that. So, did GHG sell them with cones before the stakes? I can't see it being cost effective to add the cones instead of the stakes. The motion is just enough with the stakes.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Fred_Bear » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:07 am

KillerKowalski wrote:
Fred_Bear wrote:I'm guessing he's getting them used being it's an odd number and they have the motion cones installed. Putting motion cones on the ghg mallard shells basically turns them into fullbodies. The good deal all depends on what kind of shape they are in and remember with those motion cones, you can no longer stack them like regular shells.

Never knew that. So, did GHG sell them with cones before the stakes? I can't see it being cost effective to add the cones instead of the stakes. The motion is just enough with the stakes.

No, the avery realmotion kit would have been added by the original buyer. I wouldn't call it cost effective either. Maybe the original buyer got the shells, didn't like the stake system for set up, and installed the motion cones. Another plus to the cones other than easier set up is, unlike the stakes, they can be used with the ring bases for hard or frozen ground.
Fred_Bear
hunter

Postby fishingcanyon » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Great price and they work great.
fishingcanyon
Newb

Postby waveslider » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:01 am

Fred_Bear wrote:I field hunt for ducks exclusively and at least a dozen full body or shell mallards are a must, the more the merrier though really.
I add my duck decoys to the kill hole of my goose spread. Why... because in fields ducks finish on the duck decoys. You can absolutely finish ducks into an all goose spread but the problem is you can't consistently finish them in the same spot. They will land to the left, right, and behind you making for tough shots. Adding a couple dozen tightly packed full bodies or shells with a mojo or 3 in the middle of them will put those flocks of mallards and pintails right where you want em making for easy shots.
:beer:

This^^^^

Is clearly written from someone that field hunts a lot. As your attorney, I recommend you listen.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:23 am

I believe the ducks help finish the birds more.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:27 am

They work very good when targeting ducks.

Spread.jpg
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:42 pm

My son and I were hunting geese yesterday and to our surprise we saw several many mallards. This is odd for my part of Va. We were in a picked corn field and using lay out blinds and a dozen Bigfoot B2s. The ducks came over to check us out on occasion but would never get close enough for a shot. Do I need to mix in some duck decoys. I have seen ducks and geese together in this same field before. What do y'all think. Thanks
I am second
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:28 am

I have 18 full bodies mallards. If and when I add more it will be real geese. 2 reasons: farmers are beginning to not let us drive into fields so I have to pack them in. 2). Speed to deploy and the amount of space they take up in my excursion as I don't want to have a 4th trailer in my drive way

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:11 am

We run 6 doz big foot FB geese and 2 dozen Mallard FB in our sets. If we hunt a snow covered corn field we put out another doz or 2 mallard floaters which just look like loafing birds.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby Old Hunter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am

I am almost always field hunting ducks and geese at the same time. I have lots of shell duck decoys and never use them. Silosock mallard decoys are the only way to go! These decoys are light ,quick to set out, inexpensive , can be used in shallow water, and have motion. Dont bother will full bodies or shells.
Old Hunter
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:07 am

I have seen extremely good results from GHG pro grade mallard full bodies this passed season.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby sfleming917 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:27 am

Ive heard people put em on the levees and it gives a new look that they like

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk
sfleming917
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:16 pm

How are you placing your ducks in with the honkers in your spread?

Quackhead Lanyard Prostaff
Takeem406
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:24 pm

I always space them and put the ducks down wind from the Canadas with multiple holes for them to pick which one to land in. One hunt this past year we had more than ten holes.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby mnwaterfowler98 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Im a big GHG guy when it comes to full bodies (mainly geese) but man, this year i bought a dozen of the stormfront fullbodys. Best product yet for them i would say. For $75 per 6 its a decent value also. Paint is very nice on them and i love the base system.
mnwaterfowler98
hunter

Postby Old Hunter » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:24 am

Buy some silo-sock mallard decoys.
Old Hunter
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting