Hunting sweaters

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Hunting sweaters

Postby bjno1300 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Looking for a wind proof sweater for this season. Preferably quarter zip and wanted our thoughts. Thanks
bjno1300
hunter

Re: Hunting sweaters

Postby sketch21 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Cabelas honker sweater.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
sketch21
hunter

Postby romeocadet08 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Filson waterfowl sweater ...little pricey but will last you a lifetime.
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:38 am

if you want a low price alternative go to sears and buy a 13$ outdoor life camo sweater and put a brown poncho over it
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:55 am

I have a Cabelas micro berber Henley that has the wind proof liner. It's pretty sweet.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:37 am

sketch21 wrote:Cabelas honker sweater.

This. One of the best pieces of waterfowl gear I own.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby sketch21 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:51 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:

Me too!

sketch21
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:31 am

First Lite Labrador.

Granted I'm biased but I use mine every day--most comfortable thing I own and out performs all of the above. Let me know if I can help you out.

Labrador: http://www.firstlite.com/product_detail ... ip-sweater

By the way, you might think I'm crazy but ASAT is the most deadly waterfowl pattern I've ever used. In fields or on the river, it works insanely well.
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:44 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:

I'll second that. Piece of advice. Keep in in the watertight bag until after you paddle or walk to where you are going. If not, you'll have to wring out the sweat in clothes. That ain't fun in 20 degree weather.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby dklaus1201 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:55 pm

vincentpa wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:

I'll second that. Piece of advice. Keep in in the watertight bag until after you paddle or walk to where you are going. If not, you'll have to wring out the sweat in clothes. That ain't fun in 20 degree weather.

Does anyone have a link to this? I can't find it on the Cabela's website right now.
Bill Herian wrote:If by "barrel stickers" you mean easy women, then yes, I fully endorse.
dklaus1201
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:07 pm

I am actually shocked no one mentioned the L.L. Bean Waterfowl Sweater Windstopper. $139 and you can find coupons for 10%-20% off everywhere plus free shipping everyday. And, unlike the trouble hunters are having with exchanges at Cabelas for their clothing, L.L. Bean truly does guarantee it. I will account that its damn warm. I only year it when it's not raining and use it in place as a jacket. Less bulk and super comfy.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66764?feat=506576-GN3&page=waterfowl-sweater-with-windstopper-windproof
Last edited by KillerKowalski on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:07 pm

This is a GREAT waterfowl sweater. VERY warm sometimes too warm.
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:41 pm

I have a sweater that is similar to that from the late 80's that was my dads. a little small, but I wear it every day. they're very warm!
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby bamahuntnfool » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 pm

BKScripto wrote:I have a Cabelas micro berber Henley that has the wind proof liner. It's pretty sweet.

Concur. Very sweeet.
bamahuntnfool
hunter

Re: Hunting sweaters- nothing but...FILSON

Postby Joe Guide » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:20 am

Hands down...de' Very Best Waterfowl Sweater made in the USA is by FILSON (Seattle Washington).

Quite Heavy man...I'm telling you...it's Heavy... a couple of New Zealand sheep must have gave their life to the cold...after being sheared for this sweater. I have the 1996 old FILSON GUIDES EDITION SWEATER...the brown one...with elbow patches and both shoulder patches....the top is waterproof.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:24 pm

I agree with above, but just so damn expensive! You can buy two sweaters from LL Bean and one and half sweaters from Cabelas. I can't convince myself to spend for the name brand when they all work the same.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Abomb » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Not the "Honker", but I have this one and just love it. I am not a fan of zippers close to my neck.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... BIK-944512
Abomb
hunter

Postby gseith » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:04 am

I have both the llbean waterfowl sweater and filson's sweater. I only reach for the filson sweater now. It is heavier and better made. I have worn it though multiple brier patches and it has yet met anything that has ruined it.

I will say the llbean sweater is good for layering, but for a top layer the filson sweater is all I wear.
gseith
hunter

Postby Hunterhog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:07 am

Agreed. I bought one of these a few years ago and it's great. It has their WindShear technology, which can be a bit noisy at times but nothing that will scare the ducks away (if you're moving enough for the WindShear to make noise, you're probably flaring ducks anyway).

It's so warm that I don't even wear a coat or jacket anymore when I wear it.
Hunterhog
hunter

Postby Hunterhog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:11 am

KillerKowalski wrote:I agree with above, but just so damn expensive! You can buy two sweaters from LL Bean and one and half sweaters from Cabelas. I can't convince myself to spend for the name brand when they all work the same.

I think they've raised the price too. They repackaged it as the 'Waterfowler' sweater, but it's pretty much the exact same thing as their old Honker Sweater just rebranded and repriced.

Sometimes they'll run online deals on the website like spend $100 and get $20 off or free shipping or something like that. Best time to buy it is usually in March or April when the season is up everywhere and they're trying to move inventory.
Hunterhog
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:57 am

The filson sweaters are no longer made in the USA if they were I could bring myself to spend the money on them cause I know there nice. But they still command USA made prices on it and make it over seas now not a fan of that :fingerpt: At least any of the newer filson sweaters I've seen there made in china and on their web page they have a made in USA section and they're not in there. Like I said I know there nice and to me it would be worth the money if they were still made in the USA but spending over $200 on a sweater that isn't made here I can't do. To me it's BS that their prices haven't gone down but they moved the labor over seas. It pisses me off how so many places have done this. It is one thing if you want to move labor overseas to be cheaper but how come the prices don't go down with it. Buy American if you can anyways I've been debating between the LL bean sweater and the cabelas one. I can't seem to find any good wool sweaters that are still made here if anyone knows of one I'd like to know about it.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby schmitt » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:

X2 love mine. I just keep a waterproof layer to put over top if it rains.
schmitt
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:08 pm

http://www.wingsupply.com/under-armour- ... per-hoody/

I like it. Nice waterproofing on the top out side of my waders. Good price.
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:37 am

OK the more research I do the more I'm liking what these wool sweaters are offering. Up until now I have just been wearing drake/under armour pull overs. I have lost about 60#s this summer and have noticed I am having a hard time staying warm this year. I usually layer pretty well but I have a feeling that these light fleece jackets just don't hold the warmth when you are thinner. So my question to you is what makes a good wool sweater? I want windproof hopefully waterproof?

I checked out your links and then some but I flat out don't know enough to make a purchase. I liked the fusion design, also liked the mccalisters design also. I'm pretty open it doesn't even need to be camp just warm for cold weather! I hate jackets with a passion as they are to bulky. I'd much rather just get a heavy sweater instead. Thanks.
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum