Hunting sweaters

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Re: Hunting sweaters

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:01 am

IMO, the name brands are over priced. I felt Cabelas' and it's not at nicely woven as my LL Bean is. Cabelas lifetime warranty is a joke! LL Bean and Eddie Bauer are the only two that I have ever actually no problems with. Cabelas is a different story. I believe a lot of people use the Cabelas one since they can see it before the purchase. Other than that any sweater is worth while. Depends on how much you want to spend.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby JamesMB » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:07 pm

It's not a waterfowl sweater per se, but I'm wearing a Simms DL jacket. Fleece and windstopper; problem with the windstopper is it doesn't breathe, but it's warm. I have a Filson sweater that is dang near windproof and really warm, but not cheap
JamesMB
hunter

Postby Get the green » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:26 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:OK the more research I do the more I'm liking what these wool sweaters are offering. Up until now I have just been wearing drake/under armour pull overs. I have lost about 60#s this summer and have noticed I am having a hard time staying warm this year. I usually layer pretty well but I have a feeling that these light fleece jackets just don't hold the warmth when you are thinner. So my question to you is what makes a good wool sweater? I want windproof hopefully waterproof?

I checked out your links and then some but I flat out don't know enough to make a purchase. I liked the fusion design, also liked the mccalisters design also. I'm pretty open it doesn't even need to be camp just warm for cold weather! I hate jackets with a passion as they are to bulky. I'd much rather just get a heavy sweater instead. Thanks.

I have the Mcalister sweater it is pretty good, but I am thinking about trying a filson or Cabelas.. Wool is far superior to fleece and synthetics and also breathable. You won't be disappointed.
Get the green
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:53 am

I have a Cabela's 100% wool olive green sweater with Windstopper lining and nylon faced shoulder patches and elbow patches. It has a 3 button down neck opening. i have a ton of waterfowling gear that I have amassed throughout the years and this is surely one of my favorite, most used, "go to" items of gear. I have had it for about six years and it is in great shape and will provide warm service for many years ro come. I think I paid about $100 for it when purchased and would do so again in a heartbeat. Much less expensive than Filson keeps me just as warm.

Get one, you won't regret it.

Cheers,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby TXducksanddeer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:11 am

X2 on the ll.bean. I got mine for 99 dollars with free shipping. Very warm and not itchy. I looked at the Filson and liked it but I would never spend 300 for a sweater. My llbean keeps me nice and warm thank you. Looked at cabelas and saw it was almost exactly the same as mine for but a little more money. Why pay that when I get a llbean lifetime guarantee. I'm sure it will hold up though because my father and grandfather have been using llbean for years. Very good company.
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:00 am

TXducksanddeer wrote:X2 on the ll.bean. I got mine for 99 dollars with free shipping. Very warm and not itchy. I looked at the Filson and liked it but I would never spend 300 for a sweater. My llbean keeps me nice and warm thank you. Looked at cabelas and saw it was almost exactly the same as mine for but a little more money. Why pay that when I get a llbean lifetime guarantee. I'm sure it will hold up though because my father and grandfather have been using llbean for years. Very good company.

Awesome! Coupons are available on a regular basis from LL Bean. The Windstopper is the same as every other brand. Glad Im not the only one that likes it.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby glen1978 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:40 pm

I looked at one of the Cabelas wool sweaters other day and good grief! I bet that sucker is hot! VERY THICK!!
glen1978
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:14 pm

I decided that with ll beans CS and return policy that went ahead and made the purchase. I ended up going with the water fowlers pull over with the wind stopper. I picked up the laden color hopefully it matches decent with my bottomland waders. I'll let you guys know after I use it a while.

Really I was considering the cabelas version but I figured for the same price and LL beans reputation for high quality items I decided it would probably last longer.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:52 pm

anybody else check out Army surplus outlets?

I found some really nice fleece and wool jackets, sweaters, and pull overs today. and reasonably priced as well! I'm going to go get some of the fleece stuff this weekend.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:10 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:I decided that with ll beans CS and return policy that went ahead and made the purchase. I ended up going with the water fowlers pull over with the wind stopper. I picked up the laden color hopefully it matches decent with my bottomland waders. I'll let you guys know after I use it a while.

Really I was considering the cabelas version but I figured for the same price and LL beans reputation for high quality items I decided it would probably last longer.

:thumbsup: . I have the Chocolate Brown. The colors shown are pretty accurate.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Abomb » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:11 am

Nelliboy2 wrote:I decided that with ll beans CS and return policy that went ahead and made the purchase. I ended up going with the water fowlers pull over with the wind stopper. I picked up the laden color hopefully it matches decent with my bottomland waders. I'll let you guys know after I use it a while.

My cabelas sweater is 10+ years old, with constant wear and still looks almost new. I plan on having it for the rest of my life.
Abomb
hunter

Postby tnhunter42 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:27 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Nat Gear fleeces. You can get quarter zip or full zip, sleeved or vest. Their fleece is windproof and water resistant, and I have experienced first hand VERY warm. You can find these around the internet for cheap too. I got my vest for $35 with free shipping a last year.
tnhunter42
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:57 pm

tnhunter42 wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Nat Gear fleeces. You can get quarter zip or full zip, sleeved or vest. Their fleece is windproof and water resistant, and I have experienced first hand VERY warm. You can find these around the internet for cheap too. I got my vest for $35 with free shipping a last year.

Have a link? I recently purchased Eddie Bauer fleece to layer and could't find any alternatives.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby tnhunter42 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:45 am

I got my quarter zip last March. I found the fullzip jacket on Wing Supply for 44.99. Pretty sure you can just Google NatGear fleece vest and find it for a little cheaper.
tnhunter42
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:58 am

tnhunter42 wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Nat Gear fleeces. You can get quarter zip or full zip, sleeved or vest. Their fleece is windproof and water resistant, and I have experienced first hand VERY warm. You can find these around the internet for cheap too. I got my vest for $35 with free shipping a last year.

I love the Natural gear stuff. the fleece hoody is one of the warmest things I own! I have found it to be the best thing to wear under my motorcycle jacket to stay warm, even when I ride down in the high 20's all I need to wear under my motorcycle jacket is the nat gear fleece hoody, and my jacket really only stops the wind.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum