Headless Feeders

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Headless Feeders

Postby laweidauer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:32 pm

I was wondering if there would be any harm in using a couple decoys (G&H Magnums) that are missing the heads. There is a hole where the head is supposed to go, but I was wondering if I could use them the same way as other headless feeders on the market.

Thanks
laweidauer
hunter

Re: Headless Feeders

Postby hawkeye55 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Sure. I have cut the heads off of decoys to make headless feeders. Had to seal the hole.
hawkeye55
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:22 am

Dupe.
Last edited by mudpack on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:26 am

While the body profile shape is nowhere near the same on a duck feeding with its head underwater as it is with a regular decoy with a missing head, I doubt the ducks would notice.
I, on the other hand, WOULD notice and would be a bit embarrassed to have them in my spread. I'm funny that way.
mudpack
hunter

Postby hawkeye55 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:39 pm

Mudpack you are correct on the profile point. To do it up right have to take the neck and part of chest/breast/sides off as well. Over the years have had the swivel head G & H pintail decoys have broken head connections so either turned them into non swivel heads by epoxying the head & connection as one piece or turned them into a headless surface feeder to get a few more years out of them. Another point is that besides filling & sealing the hole created; weight may need to be added inside the front of the decoy to replace the loss of the material cut off to get a proper float (depending on what is used to fill the hole created).

From 30 yards & out the 8 or so I have are passable mixed in with a total spread of 140 +/- decoys.
hawkeye55
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:05 pm

You wouldn't have the same profile but repainting the front of the decoy to match that of the headless feeder might help hide that.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum