Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:53 pm

What is it for? What does it do?
Explain its purpose. My 390 didnt have that.
A16 in the diagrams.
Attachments
1378853550953.jpg
1378853518485.jpg
1378853472646.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9947
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!


Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Allows you to remove the chambered she'll, hold the bolt open to choose a different shell, cross a fence, or something else, then rechamber a round and continue hunting.

Simple design, but with the Beretta action design, as long as you don't pull the trigger on an empty chamber, it really isn't needed.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
User avatar
orphanedcowboy
hunter
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:16 am

orphanedcowboy wrote:Allows you to remove the chambered she'll, hold the bolt open to choose a different shell, cross a fence, or something else, then rechamber a round and continue hunting.

Simple design, but with the Beretta action design, as long as you don't pull the trigger on an empty chamber, it really isn't needed.

Sent from my Tesla coil

Thanks.
I will most likely never use the feature. Upland hunters might but I would carry a much lighter shotgun for that.
Its a feature trap and skeet guys would appreciate I think.
Am I right?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9947
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:21 am

Got me to play with it. What it does is lock the bolt open when you pull it back.
The silver button dont work when the cutoff is engaged.
I think I understand. Its a safety feature for locking bolt open so the gun can not fire a round.

In the configuration pictured a round cannot be chambered.
Does it cut off the magazine? I think thats also what it does..
Not loading it up to see in my house. I assume it does.
Attachments
1378909380195.jpg
1378909349567.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9947
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby luie b » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:56 am

Have you never used a different shotgun in your life other than your beretta 390? Seems like you're completely lost now. Imagine if you had to use a pump this season!
User avatar
luie b
hunter
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Western Illinois (Hancock County)

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:38 am

luie b wrote:Have you never used a different shotgun in your life other than your beretta 390? Seems like you're completely lost now. Imagine if you had to use a pump this season!

Sigh. I will answer you.
I have five pump guns.
When you get in a duck blind and can only pump two shots off because everyone else has semi autos....your whole outlook on pumps changes.
You just have to experience it a couple times and you will understand.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9947
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:10 pm

Got looking close at my new weepon.
Its an A390ST
What does the ST mean?
I think it means Skeet and Trap model.
No biggie.
All that means is the wood is extra nice. It is!!!
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9947
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:44 pm

A member on another forum once said it means shoots all, the st is the letters for the two words in Italian, he knows a ton about Berettas, written a book on them, so I trusted him.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
User avatar
orphanedcowboy
hunter
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby luie b » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:12 pm

aunt betty wrote:
luie b wrote:Have you never used a different shotgun in your life other than your beretta 390? Seems like you're completely lost now. Imagine if you had to use a pump this season!

Sigh. I will answer you.
I have five pump guns.
When you get in a duck blind and can only pump two shots off because everyone else has semi autos....your whole outlook on pumps changes.
You just have to experience it a couple times and you will understand.

Everybody I do hunt with has a semi auto and I'm never the last to be shooting. You see, I was taught by my dad who was taught by his dad to unload a pump gun at such an insane rate most people don't believe I shoot an 870. It all started when my dad was a kid and they hunted deer by driving them so you had to shoot fast to get your shots off at a running deer. My grandpa got really good at, therefore my dad also did. The thousands of shots I've put through my trusty old 870 wingmaster has made me just as fast making me really have no need for a semi auto.
User avatar
luie b
hunter
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Western Illinois (Hancock County)

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:35 pm

luie b wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
luie b wrote:Have you never used a different shotgun in your life other than your beretta 390? Seems like you're completely lost now. Imagine if you had to use a pump this season!

Sigh. I will answer you.
I have five pump guns.
When you get in a duck blind and can only pump two shots off because everyone else has semi autos....your whole outlook on pumps changes.
You just have to experience it a couple times and you will understand.

Everybody I do hunt with has a semi auto and I'm never the last to be shooting. You see, I was taught by my dad who was taught by his dad to unload a pump gun at such an insane rate most people don't believe I shoot an 870. It all started when my dad was a kid and they hunted deer by driving them so you had to shoot fast to get your shots off at a running deer. My grandpa got really good at, therefore my dad also did. The thousands of shots I've put through my trusty old 870 wingmaster has made me just as fast making me really have no need for a semi auto.

Uh huh. In a blind with nine other semis and your remi....
18 ducks fly in and ......
Blublublubblubblublublublam blublamblubububublam.
You shot twice. The first duck you lined up on...insanely fast, someone else shot it.
Then you picked a second duck and maybe you shot it...who knows?
So you pick out one more and shoot but again, chaos in the blind.
Get the idea?
Remington 870 Wingmaster...rofl.

Oh looky. Two Wingmasters.
1378953752597.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9947
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby TomKat » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:58 pm

I have an 870 I want to sell. I will always go with my B guns. In fact acorn I am leaving my Benelli home sat to shoot in a tournament with my AL390. Looking forward to see how it feeds target loads with my stronger recoil spring in it.



Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:29 am

TomKat wrote:I have an 870 I want to sell. I will always go with my B guns. In fact acorn I am leaving my Benelli home sat to shoot in a tournament with my AL390. Looking forward to see how it feeds target loads with my stronger recoil spring in it.



Blog- http://www.ksducks.com

Its a very popular shotgun for clays. Soft shooting and points easily.
I figure you will like how much more smoothly it seems to work compared to the inertia system.
Keep it clean.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9947
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:38 am

I fiddled around with the cutoff and believe I figured out it's purpose.

If you engage the cutoff on fully loaded gun it allows you to take a shell out, release the slide, bolt goes forward but no shell is allowed to pop out from magazine. Whatvthe cutoff cuts off is shells from the magazine.
You can carry the gun safely because no shell in chamber.
Later. Repeat the process, pop shell in, and you are fully loaded again.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9947
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Or you could just leave the bolt open on the cutoff/shell stop and then when you get to where you're going, pop the round back in and release the cutoff/shellstop
NRA Life Member
User avatar
orphanedcowboy
hunter
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:51 pm

orphanedcowboy wrote:Or you could just leave the bolt open on the cutoff/shell stop and then when you get to where you're going, pop the round back in and release the cutoff/shellstop

Right. I figured sporting clays guys would close it up between stations.
Really dont know just guessing.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9947
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby talltimber » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:31 pm

What's it do when you fire a round with the cutoff engaged? Single shot?

I've hunted some auto 5s with the cutoff, but never used it. I either just crack the action on my 870s, or pull bolt back just far enough to remove chambered round from the 1187.
User avatar
talltimber
hunter
 
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:18 am
Location: SEMO

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby aunt betty » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:40 pm

talltimber wrote:What's it do when you fire a round with the cutoff engaged? Single shot?

I've hunted some auto 5s with the cutoff, but never used it. I either just crack the action on my 870s, or pull bolt back just far enough to remove chambered round from the 1187.

If you fire the gun with cutoff engaged the recoil disengages it.
The next round will be chambered and no harm, no foul.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9947
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Cutoff. on Beretta A390

Postby talltimber » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:26 pm

That might be good to know some day. Thanks.
User avatar
talltimber
hunter
 
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:18 am
Location: SEMO


Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cobbhead, jrp267 and 14 guests