Decoys?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Decoys?

Postby bjno1300 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:27 am

Just wanted your thoughts on which ones you prefer. Thanks
bjno1300
hunter

Re: Decoys?

Postby m.teeter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Depends on if you're talking about puddler decoys or diver decoys. For diver hunting I would definitely go with something that is foam filled or even hand carved. This being because of the divers nature to come in hot on the deck. For puddlers I would go with something that looks really good. A puddle duck, as you know, will usually circle a couple times surveying the scene. Just makes me feel better when I have good looking puddler dekes.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby bjno1300 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Yeah definitely be puddle ducks over divers because that's what I will mainly be hunting. Just want to find good looking and durable decoys to get started with. Thanks for the help
bjno1300
hunter

Postby Waterfowler7 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:13 pm

What's your budget? Dakota makes a sweet mallard decoy. Expensive, ($138 a doz on rogers) but they are really nice and durable. GHG, FA brand, G&H, all good companies but it depends on how many and what you want to spend.
Lock em "n" Rock em
Waterfowler7
hunter

Postby RookieJ » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:58 am

I agree with waterfowler7. I haven't ponied up the money to buy any Dakota or G&H decoys yet but have hunted a few of the more reasonably priced brands. I really like all the GHG decoys I've bought. The hot buys do tend to wear out a bit quicker but I touch them up with a bit of flat black paint and have got 4 seasons out of them now.
There will be blood!
RookieJ
hunter

Postby Tiihunter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:53 pm

I bought and like the Dakota Mallards last year, but man they are heavy! If you hunt a place that you have to pack in I would advise something else.

No problem if you are boating in or set up once for the season (duck club) and leave em.
Tiihunter
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum