Looking for a 20ga over under

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Looking for a 20ga over under

Postby Jon Bergren » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:28 am

DuckManClyde wrote:*young immature tone* oh, oh, oh yea well NED shoots at sandhills 65 yards + and drops em dead w/ his 935!So, uh yea take that! Maybe you auta talk to him bout shootin dem long shots

I cheat, I use buffered lead 2's and a rangefinder. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:44 am

Why do you use a rangefinder? Are your eyes bad?
mudpack
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:17 am

tubbalowski wrote:I like the condor. Quality gun. Since I've owned it I've taken a lot of loads, never a hiccup.

Where are you taking these loads and expecting the possibility of a hiccup? Are you free Saturday night?

I was playing with the Condor today. Its pretty sweet. does anyone know the differences between the different Condors? I don't know much
Gabagool
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:26 pm

It depends. At different times of year I shoot different loads. Right now I'm shooting lead. It's a much softer load, but it sticks together well. When I pattern, it's like it's clumped together. That's why companies try to emulate lead in duck loads. Once the season starts I switch to a steel load. It's a harder load, so it doesn't clump like a lead load, and like someone said above, a harder load will wear your bore a little...but I haven't noticed anything significant. And, like I said, I've shot a lot of steel loads through my barrel without any problems.

The higher end condor has better quality wood and automatic ejectors. If you're going to duck hunt with it, I wouldn't recommend spending more than the base model.

Tubbs
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:30 pm

tubbalowski wrote:It depends. At different times of year I shoot different loads. Right now I'm shooting lead. It's a much softer load, but it sticks together well. When I pattern, it's like it's clumped together. That's why companies try to emulate lead in duck loads. Once the season starts I switch to a steel load. It's a harder load, so it doesn't clump like a lead load, and like someone said above, a harder load will wear your bore a little...but I haven't noticed anything significant. And, like I said, I've shot a lot of steel loads through my barrel without any problems.

The higher end condor has better quality wood and automatic ejectors. If you're going to duck hunt with it, I wouldn't recommend spending more than the base model.

Tubbs

I see. Provocative. :drool:
Gabagool
hunter

Postby romeocadet08 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:29 am

The Rugers and Brownings are very nice. You can normally pick up a fairly nice used gun for around your price range or just a little over but you won't be disappointed if you have to come out of picket a little more
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby tommie d » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:41 pm

I was in the same situation fifteen years ago. Best advice I can give is: Try before you Buy! I went to my local sporting clays range and shot several shotguns and I ended up with a new Fabarms o/u 20ga. as it fit me better than all the others I tried out.
tommie d
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:59 pm

I wish I had the option. The only gun I seem to find in my local shops is the Stoger. I have found a few other used guns but usually they are grossly overpriced. Then after that the only option becomes a $1500 beretta or browning. Will one of you just sell me your gun that youre not using anymore. Come on. You hate that 20ga. Get rid of it.
Gabagool
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Weighing all these here options, I'd say, all said and done, the condor is the way to go. Berretta? What are you going to do with that?

Bring the condor. Can't use it if you don't have it. And like I said, $400, all said and done, out the door.

Tubbs
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:44 pm

tubbalowski wrote:Weighing all these here options, I'd say, all said and done, the condor is the way to go. Berretta? What are you going to do with that?

Bring the condor. Can't use it if you don't have it. And like I said, $400, all said and done, out the door.

Tubbs

:grooving: best advice yet, so what condor ya thinking about?
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:52 am

Nah. Do you have a condor, Clyde? Which one? I want something more betterer
Gabagool
hunter

Postby Camocynergy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Gabagool wrote:Nah. Do you have a condor, Clyde? Which one? I want something more betterer

It really think it depends on the whole picture/scope you really want. In the price range you specified your options are very limited especially right now. A couple of years ago, you might've been able to find a good used browning/beretta in that range if you got really lucky. Right now, good luck on that, you're settling for a beat up POS, bottom model, or a really old gun you probably would have to shoot bismuth through for waterfowl.

My best advice would be to keep saving your money to that 12-1500 range and get a b-gun. Personally for waterfowling I would get a browning, I'm not afraid of beating them to death. I prefer beretta's for upland as they are quicker handling guns with much better balance than your typical citori. In 20 gauge they are fairly similar though, in 12 gauge the berettas handle way better IMO. Could be that my berettas are much higher grade guns than the brownings I own too.
Camocynergy
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Gabagool wrote:Nah. Do you have a condor, Clyde? Which one? I want something more betterer

I have both, the condor base model 12 gauge and the longfowler. And despite what others say, neither of mine have had any problems. I did have to clean the factory oil out of my reciever, it wasnt allowing the large sliding pin to slide freely, which is what i believe sets the 2nd pin to fire. ( it wouldnt shoot the 2nd round at first ) after cleaning it and rem oil, it shot both just fine. If your doing hunting and clay pigeon shooting its great for both. ill post a pic of the pin so you know what i mean
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:48 am

Does the Condor longfowler have one trigger or two? I am looking for a one-trigger model.
Gabagool
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:20 pm

I would look for a Weatherby Orion Grade1, excellent shotgun with the green box lock style lock up.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:44 pm

cluckmeister wrote:I would look for a Weatherby Orion Grade1, excellent shotgun with the green box lock style lock up.

I agree, the Weatherby Orion is a good looking, good shooting gun. I've used my 12ga Orion quite often in the blind. Another one, if you can find one, would be an SKB.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:09 pm

Gabagool wrote:Does the Condor longfowler have one trigger or two? I am looking for a one-trigger model.

yea all the stoeger over unders are one triggered
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:19 pm

When i first purchased the longfowler it had alot of gunky factory grease. The pin in the bottom of the reciever wouldnt slide as freely as it should, so i just wiped out all the grease then replaced it with rem oil. Shoots like a charm, and actually will be its first duck season.
Attachments
clydes game calls 151.jpg
clydes game calls 150.jpg
DuckManClyde
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum