Portable Blind?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Portable Blind?

Postby Rich- » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:18 am

I found some public land that I am going to hunt this season for wood duck and mallard but the area surrounding the ponds on this public land consist of relatively short grass that will provide no form of cover. Permanent blinds are not allowed so I will have to pack one in and out each day if I bring a blind in, which isn't a problem.

Is the best way to hunt these ponds by setting a blind on the bank of the water or should I be doing something else? If a blind on the bank is the best choice are there any companies who make portable duck blinds?
Rich-
hunter

Re: Portable Blind?

Postby rednavy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:53 am

I would try a layout blind. They are low profile. Or if you are cheap like me get the burlap camo and put the fake grass on it.
rednavy
hunter

Postby Medic4049 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:26 am

for $40 get one piece of hog panel. get one piece of burlap camo and one bag of zip ties. then cut your hog panel into 4ths, zip tie your pieces together so they fold up and zip tie the burlap to it along with vegetation that is found in your area. put extra zip ties in you blind bag so that you can incorporate things from the area. I use this on public land in my area and place it in a u-shape under a tree and it works great and looks great.
Medic4049
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:49 am

Layout blind is the only way I hunt public anymore.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Mr.Blonde » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:53 am

Medic4049 wrote:for $40 get one piece of hog panel. get one piece of burlap camo and one bag of zip ties. then cut your hog panel into 4ths, zip tie your pieces together so they fold up and zip tie the burlap to it along with vegetation that is found in your area. put extra zip ties in you blind bag so that you can incorporate things from the area. I use this on public land in my area and place it in a u-shape under a tree and it works great and looks great.

Do you have a pic of this? Need something portable for hunting in front of a river bank.
“Heaven to me is endless cypress swamps and hardwood forests loaded with game and ducks and not a game warden around!” -Phil Robertson
Mr.Blonde
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:23 am

Medic4049 wrote:for $40 get one piece of hog panel. get one piece of burlap camo and one bag of zip ties. then cut your hog panel into 4ths, zip tie your pieces together so they fold up and zip tie the burlap to it along with vegetation that is found in your area. put extra zip ties in you blind bag so that you can incorporate things from the area. I use this on public land in my area and place it in a u-shape under a tree and it works great and looks great.

problem with that is, a hog panel weighs 34lbs alone, then you add the camo.. so close to 40lbs? almost double the weight of most if not all layout blinds.

I sure wouldnt want to pack that much in if hunting alone.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Medic4049 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:05 pm

I will get some pics. We will be getting more together in the very near future. I couldnt tell you how much, I just know its worth packing in and I am not afraid to leave it for a day or two if I am hunting a few days in a row.
Medic4049
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Rich- wrote:I found some public land that I am going to hunt this season for wood duck and mallard but the area surrounding the ponds on this public land consist of relatively short grass that will provide no form of cover. Permanent blinds are not allowed so I will have to pack one in and out each day if I bring a blind in, which isn't a problem.

Is the best way to hunt these ponds by setting a blind on the bank of the water or should I be doing something else? If a blind on the bank is the best choice are there any companies who make portable duck blinds?

This is very simple.

-Take a couple pieces of treated 2"x2"x4' (1 8ft piece gets you 2)
-45* the ends
-Zip tie or staple/nail a grass mat on either side (typically 4' widths)
-Dig into the ground at a backward angle
-tuck in behind it
-Get real creative and make 2 sets, angle them back towards each other. One in front of you, one in back. Tuck down and wait
-Bungee them together and tie a rope to put over your shoulder.

If you have the grass mats, the 2x2 are around $3-$5 each.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:51 pm

image.jpg
I'm with medic, sometimes the simple solution is the best. I have layout blinds, layout boats and all kinds of camo, but one of the most effective is a piece of 4foot high fencing with local weeds or tumbleweeds zip tied on. This is the fencing with 2x4 inch holes, had a whole roll of it laying around. Just bend it into a horseshoe shape and use a couple poles to hold it up. This year I'm making them a little longer so the "wings" are longer. I've had best luck with not making it too thick with weeds, and just holding still with the appropriate camo clothing. Light weight and cheap!
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:53 pm

image.jpg
The simple fencing/weed blind works in snow too. Shot all these honkers out of one flock at 20 yards. You just need to break up your silhouette.
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:29 pm

2500, checkout the fencing instead of hog panels, almost no weight at all. Dry weeds are pretty light too. If you really want it to be less "see through" you can just carry a little netting in with you, to put on the inside as you set up. The only thing about that is if the wind is strong it can flap unnaturally. I keep it thinner and stay low, crouching or laying on the ground, the birds just "think" it's a clump of weeds. If it looks like a dark wall they might skirt to the side. It often works any where from a bare field to the side of a creek or mudflat. You could also angle it back more for lower profile, if you are young and mobile!
blackrock
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum