Slack's Got it!!

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Slack's Got it!!

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:23 pm

I guess there is a pleasant irony in receiving my pistol permit on 9-11......

7 months....7 days.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Slack's Got it!!

Postby sssurfertim » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Yay! No get ready for the never ending posts about what gun to buy........ :help: Congrats.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Great now maybe you'll quit your blatting :rolleyes: Congrats bud glad to hear it :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:50 pm

I've been looking into that one you suggested Tim...but I don't think I am going to spring for the hello kitty upgrade that you got....
:lol:
Attachments
Pink.jpg
Pink.jpg (7.53 KiB) Viewed 587 times
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Slack not to hijack your post but I'm turning 21 end of September.... Any advice on my permit
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:06 am

southpaw92 wrote:Slack not to hijack your post but I'm turning 21 end of September.... Any advice on my permit

Get the paperwork NOW...fill it out....get all your references in line...(no family and no cops) and make it a birthday gift to yourself to drive it there personally. Don't mail anything that you can drive and hand to them.
In the mean time, have fun doing your HW on what pistol you might want to buy. There are INFINITELY more pistols out there than shotguns....so finding what you want will take a while.
Get on it
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby awspaniel » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:38 am

Whew! Long haul! Glad you finally got it. It's certainly been a test of your resolve,' glad it's over. Congrats!
awspaniel
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:43 am

awspaniel wrote:Whew! Long haul! Glad you finally got it. It's certainly been a test of your resolve,' glad it's over. Congrats!

Thanks Man....I had my house built a few years ago and that was 2.5 years of DEC and BOH permits, variances, applications etc...so I am used to bureaucracy...but it still bothers the hell out of you.

I would strongly encourage all of you to get your permit. You do NOT have to buy a gun to have one...but the way this state is going it will only get harder and harder..
You don't want the day to come when you simply can't get one..
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:47 pm

My suggestion, go to the local gun shop and tell them you just got your license, and now you're looking for a "jammy." It will be well received.
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby mwc4fishing » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:09 pm

congrats. see you in Calverton :thumbsup:
mwc4fishing
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:12 pm

mwc4fishing wrote:congrats. see you in Calverton :thumbsup:

Why? You think he's gonna shoot himself?
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby mwc4fishing » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:19 pm

No, but if he does, nobody is gonna say a word :fingerpt:
mwc4fishing
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:27 pm

mwc4fishing wrote:No, but if he does, nobody is gonna say a word :fingerpt:

Now what does that mean?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby mwc4fishing » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:35 pm

No worries Slack. It's a bit of the wild west out in Calverton, that's all. After you get your purchase if you ever head out east, send me a Pm. My recommendation - check coliseum gun traders. Head and shoulders above all the other places I've visited.
mwc4fishing
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm

mwc4fishing wrote:No worries Slack. It's a bit of the wild west out in Calverton, that's all. After you get your purchase if you ever head out east, send me a Pm. My recommendation - check coliseum gun traders. Head and shoulders above all the other places I've visited.

I like the guys at Campsite.....I got a little turned off to Coliseum a few times....those guys are good now?
T&T is out right? That place was a zoo
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby mwc4fishing » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:51 pm

Stan at T&T knows his stuff and I bought my son's .22 there. But depending on who you deal with, it can be a good or bad experience . If you don't know exactly what you're looking for and want to check out a lot of handguns, Coliseum is my recommendation. A friend recommended I check it out and I was glad I did. Bought my Px4 Storm there this past May.
mwc4fishing
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:17 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
mwc4fishing wrote:No worries Slack. It's a bit of the wild west out in Calverton, that's all. After you get your purchase if you ever head out east, send me a Pm. My recommendation - check coliseum gun traders. Head and shoulders above all the other places I've visited.

I like the guys at Campsite.....I got a little turned off to Coliseum a few times....those guys are good now?

Those guys are giant dicks. You may be able to get a good post indictment deal.
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:15 pm

tubbalowski wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:

Those guys are giant dicks. You may be able to get a good post indictment deal.

I'm not a big fan of Coliseum. There's a younger guy and a dark fellow there who are very helpful if its not too busy. Otherwise that place stinks. The fat owner and woman there are not friendly. There prices aren't that great either. I recently got a 10/22 from hunter sports on sunrise highway. The owner was very helpful and most of the other workers are good too. The owners brother doesn't act like he's loving life exactly but still helpful. South shore is good and LI outdoorsman is good too. Just a tad pricey
Gabagool
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:13 am

No one has dealt with Campsite in Huntington?
Very knowledgeable and pleasant..great selection
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:38 am

Question: the license is good for all of NY, right? So can you purchase a pistol outside of long island? Would you have to bring the receipt to where you were licensed?

In other words, if I'm upstate and see a pistol I want how would I complete the purchase?
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:14 am

tubbalowski wrote:Question: the license is good for all of NY, right? So can you purchase a pistol outside of long island? Would you have to bring the receipt to where you were licensed?
In other words, if I'm upstate and see a pistol I want how would I complete the purchase?

You know Tubbs....I've been so freakin shocked by some of the stupidity of this process that I can't even say Yes for sure to that one.
I do know, that the officer told me that the gun has to reside with you. For example, if you live in Nassau and own a home upstate, you can't leave it there...it has to be with you.
AND...you may NOT stop for anything other than an emergency en route through NYC...
So common sense says that NYS is NYS....but my license clearly says State of NY, County of Suffolk on it..
So I fear that again, State Law trumps common sense..
I will look into it.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 am

Prepare for your head to explode!

Tubbs (et al)

You may certainly, of course, feel free and be happy to buy a gun anywhere you want.....

Then drive all the way back to the headquarters that you got your permit from to get the purchase affidavit. Then drive back to wherever the hell you bought the gun, pick up the gun, drive all the way back to HQ and register it....and THEN you can go home and shoot it.

Unfreakin real
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:42 am

Slack Tide wrote:Prepare for your head to explode!

Tubbs (et al)

You may certainly, of course, feel free and be happy to buy a gun anywhere you want.....

Then drive all the way back to the headquarters that you got your permit from to get the purchase affidavit. Then drive back to wherever the hell you bought the gun, pick up the gun, drive all the way back to HQ and register it....and THEN you can go home and shoot it.

Unfreakin real

Or, you can have the gun shipped to a local FFL and save all that time and gas.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting