Browning gold 10 vs. benilie sbe2

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Browning gold 10 vs. benilie sbe2

Postby GooseHunter797 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Hello I'm big into goose hunting and would like the power of a 10 please don't say I don't need one... Weight isent a big issue and money isent but if you had both guns for a goose hunt witch one would u pick? Please help me out! What do u know about these guns?

THANK YOU!
GooseHunter797
hunter

Re: Browning gold 10 vs. benilie sbe2

Postby gooshnr » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Gold 10 without question. I've had one for about 15 years. The 10 is a dream to shoot at the big birds with much less recoil than the 12. I don't like shooting a 10 at ducks but for me its the only gun for geese. It always seems to happen when I'm on a duck hunt and have an opportunity at a goose that the 12 can't handle but I know the 10 would have done the job.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:45 pm

I have both a Gold 10 and a HK SBE. Both are great guns and both get the job done. It all depends on what kind of goose hunting you are talking about. Over decoys, the shots always tend to be close (under 35 yards) which the 12ga does fine. If you are pass shooting, its posslble to get 60 plus yard shots. Then, thats where the 10ga really comes on strong. This is for two reasons, bore size and better patterns plus shot density is larger with its ability to handle bigger pellets well. When I got my first 10ga, I could hardly wait to get one and I was only using it for ducks at that time. It did offer better killing power which allowed me much more effective shots at the occasional passing goose that was offered. When things are normal and I am doing a combo hunt for both ducks and geese from a permanant blind, I have both guns loaded and ready to rock and roll in front of me. Using factory ammo when I got my first 10ga, I had more range with the ten for whatever I was shooting at. At that time, I was shooting a Win load which was 1 3/4oz of #1s at 1260fps. At that time, it was much more awsome than any 3.5" 12ga load.
I know this is not much help, but if I had to give one of those guns up, it would be a hard decision. They both have their advantages. For most shooters, I would say the 12ga would be the best bet. For me, I most likely would choose the 10ga.
Also, if you have an outstanding reload recipe that makes a consistant patterning shell, that makes the 12ga an awsome gun to shoot. Last season, my 10ga stayed home and I only shot my SBE. The load I chose was a handload which was 2 3/4" with 1 1/8oz of #2 steel shot. This load is outstanding among all the rest of my reload recipes and does a fine job on big geese out to slightly over 50 yards. I measured 27 kills all from 48 to 54 yards with this load with a laser rangefinder. I could not have expected any better results had I been shooting a 10ga. If those shots had been 60 yards though, it would have fell short and the 10ga would have shined. I might add that I tend to like the older SBE much better than the SBEII. Basing your decision on my opinions is not a good idea. Pick the gun you like the best, period. The one you like best will most likely perform the best for you. The way a gun feels and swings is so important. When I handled a SBE for the first time, years ago, I knew it was the gun for me. That has not changed. The SBE II doesnt do it for me but its still a super gun for some.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:01 pm

GooseHunter797 wrote:Hello I'm big into goose hunting and would like the power of a 10 please don't say I don't need one... Weight isent a big issue and money isent but if you had both guns for a goose hunt witch one would u pick? Please help me out! What do u know about these guns?

THANK YOU!
:welcome: It looks like you have answered your own question, if you want the power of the 10, then get the 10. IMO I would get the GOLD 10. The Gold 10 is a very smooth, soft shooting gun that will pattern large doses of large size steel shot better than the 12 with a lot less felt recoil. I hunt Geese(Canada and snows) and large size ducks mostly, and the Gold 10 is my main shotgun. The SBE is a fine shotgun (I do not own one, but I have shot a few of them) and will kill Geese but you will NOT get the same pattern results with large sized steel shot( IMO this is where the ten gauge shines). You may want to go out and shoulder the two guns this may(or may not) help you decide. The bottom line is, if you do your part both guns will get the job done, BUT the Gold 10 (IMO) will pattern large size shot BETTER with a lot LESS felt recoil. I hope this helps.
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:40 am

The side by side comparison test usually is the eye opener for most people. I've done this several times in the field and at the range, take a 1 1/2 steel load and have whoever is questing the difference shoot it through both guns. The end result is usually the same every time...the felt recoil is much less in the Gold 10 than the SBE.
BT Justice
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum