What's up Arizona? Big Game ???

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

What's up Arizona? Big Game ???

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:22 pm

I'm a Montanan who gets to AZ a couple of times a year. I've been thinking about doing some big game hunting there.

Your game and fish department sucks. They don't know how difficult it is for an out of stater to draw an elk tag, but the woman on the phone said "you won't get one". I won't get one? Well thanks a lot. In addition to incompetent employees one must purchase a year hunting license to even put in for that drawing! I have to drop a couple of hundred dollars for the chance to "not get a tag" according to the woman on the phone?

I thought that some of you might know a little better what the statistics are like. I would like to one day hunt elk somewhere in the Sedona/Cottonwood/Oak Creek Canyon area. What kind of statistics am I loonking at here. I understand that only 10% of the tags go to out of staters, how many out of staters apply? What are the odds like?

I must admit that this is probably equally frustrating for anyone who wants to come to Montana and hunt, and it's probably a lot more expensive here IF YOU DRAW, like $1000 for the tag, but at least you don't have to pay a couple hundred dollars to get in the drawing.

Thanks for your input.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby mr.smith » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:29 am

The elk densities in the areas you listed are actually not that high. You would probably have ok odds of drawing there. Your best bet of course would be the limited opportunity hunts. There are fewer elk but also fewer people.

As for the game and fish, you can atleast appreciate that the lady on the phone gave it to you straight. The odds suck, even for residents. I have drawn one tag in eight years and that was this year. Why would you want to hunt elk in our heat when you could hunt them comfortably there in MT? I'm sure the elk densities are much higher up there.

Either way good luck
That's Quacktastic!
mr.smith
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:05 pm

I do hunt elk in Montana. I want to hunt them in a different environment and also have the chance to kill one of the monster bulls I have seen down there. Do you by any chance know what the odds are like? Every year I apply for some tags here in Montana, for sheep my odds are like 1:15,000, moose 1:3500. Other tags are much easier to get like 1:2 for cow elk and about that for tundra swan.

These numbers tell me something. If I had to pay $200 for that 1:15,000 chance to kill a big horn sheep I would not do it. Is there any way I can get that same kind of number from your state?

Interesting that you don't think that AZ is an elk Destination. I think a lot of hunters would agree that the next world record can come from there. We may have more elk here, but a higher percentage of your elk are big bulls. I'd love to hunt them in shorts instead of on top of some frozen windswept mountain.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby mr.smith » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:19 pm

I never denied that AZ is an elk destination. Unit 6B which is in the sedona area (the area you expressed interest in) isnt exactly a trophy unit. The next record already did come from AZ, and the one before it. If you want a trophy then units 8, 10 and 1 would be the place to look. However the odds of drawing any one of those units is extremely tiny. Each year in the back of the regulation book the AZGFD posts abbreviated odds and the publish a complete odds book annually. The regulations are available on the website www.azgfd.gov . They dont give the odds in a ratio like 1:15,000 though they give percentages of success vs. unsuccess. I dont blame you for wanting a change in scenery but in my opinion the scenery available to you now is pretty good. Naturally the grass is always greener on the other side.
That's Quacktastic!
mr.smith
hunter

Postby Labraduck » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:21 pm

For the unit 6B I didn't see anything specificly about out of state. I can tell you that 6B has 25 first and 175 2nd hunts given. 1st and 2nd choise application draws total to 1506 and 1453 respectivly and again your draw odds are 2 and 15 respectivly. I would say give us your money because it pays for our managers and habitat for the elk and other game. My self I would look at if it is affordable to gamble two hundred dollars on 2% and 15% odds and the $405 for the tag IF you get drawn. Then your gonna have to get here and shoot for the 44% success rate. And that isn't even the best unit! The best units go from 1% to 15% draw rates. Even then the success ration is lower than 30%.

If you don't get drawn and your stuck with a licenes then come down and purchas an over the counter Deer tag for archery. We have the best mule deer in the country.

:welcome:

See you soon
Labraduck
hunter

Postby duckindesert » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:11 pm

hey budy, I know this is an old post but ther is now over the counter elk tags check out www.azgfd.gov.
There ARE ducks and bucks in AZ
duckindesert
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting