Still no mount....

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Still no mount....

Postby Duck_Popper » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:32 am

I turned in my greenhead December 25th 2012. I chose this guy because he was the only one wiling to wake up at 4:30am so I could drop off the bird and he told me if i turned it in by christmas. He could push it through with the next batch and see it in 4 months. He also had some really cool mounts and did exotic animals. His website looked good so I went with him.

I have received every excuse in the book from him. His story has changed to where he didn't even remember what he told me the time before. He has also added in that he got a torn tendon in his arm which took him out fir a while. NOW his newest one is he is moving. The operation is out of his shop in his home.

When do I just say eff it? Is 9 months too long? This was a really special hunt and that's why I chose to mount the greenhead, but I am just beyond pissed now. I have let it be known to him as well. I also asked plain and simple "what is really going on? Did you lose my bird? Do you not have time? Are you waiting till next season to replace it?" What do I do?
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Re: Still no mount....

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:40 am

No 9 months is not too long. What you have to understand is that you aren't the only one that has a mount to be done. There are others in line ahead of you and they are all as impatient as you seem to be. If he doesn't specialize in just birds I expect he has a lot of bigger projects going. I get calls all the time asking if a bird is ready and want to say "If it was I'd have called you", but I try to be tactful about it. I try to take things chronologically and most taxidermist do. If he is a one man operation he could be overwhelmed and not able to meet deadlines. He probably shouldn't have given you a 4 month return unless he has few clients. I find that questionable. Did you give him a deposit? A lot can be read into the time lag.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:22 am

x2

Most people think statements such as " I will try to" should be treated as "I guarantee". On the other hand promises should be kept best they can. A third excuse is a little on the BS side of things. I wouldn't hit the panic button until you hit 12 months. I to love the "just checking" calls :fingerhead:
duxrus
hunter

Postby AKWoody » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:52 pm

9 months isn't long at all. If he's as good as you say he is the wait will be worth it. Ive got several birds at the taxidermist right now. Three of them have been there since April 2012. I brought him two more last February. No call yet. And I'm in no rush. Keep good records of any payment that you've given him, and be patient. You can't rush good work. Some of these taxidermists have other full time jobs as well.

Just my 2 cents from a guy that went to the cheapest bidder once. I'll never make that mistake again.
AKWoody
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:19 pm

I agree that good work takes time, but the taxi needs to be honest with the client. I respect and expect honesty. If the taxi tells him that he's behind, no big deal. I hate excuses, though.
tam9492
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:42 am

I appreciate all the feedback. That's why I posted. Wanted to make sure I should or should not "hit the panic button". It's not that I am impatient, it's that I trusted his word. I understand that things happen, but at the same time it was the change in stories everytime and not adding up. Yes I did give him a deposit and I will just give him another check in call when we hit a year. Dec 25th. Thanks gents.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:06 am

If it still isn't done by then I would go by and demand both your bird and deposit back....period, and don't accept a promise to have it done in a few weeks. If at that time you warn him of you doing so he might throw it together and you end up with a bad mount.

I don't know how much you frequent taxidermy froums but there are numerous people every year complaining how bad their mounts look........after paying for them and taking them home. Don't be one of those posts. If you go to pick it or anything in the future up from any taxidermist and you aren't happy with the work, don't pay and leave it. See the final product before handing over the balance. Someone waiting to "complain" days, weeks, or months later should have never walked out the door with something they weren't happy with.....

Good luck and let us know how this turns out :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:07 am

I dropped two birds off around the middle of November last year and I still haven't gotten them back. I gave the guy a call yesterday just to see if they were close to being done yet. He told me that they had about 3 weeks left before they were done. I told him that it was no problem and that there was no rush. He had about 20 other birds he was mounting at that time. And I believe that most taxidermist do deer mounts before they worry about other game. Hope you get your birds soon and hope they turn out well!
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby marblebelly » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:54 pm

I understand both sides... BUT I have had some fantastic work done by a taxidermist that collects his birds and animals at a bait store in Sacramento. Two years for a hoodie and a real long time for nice hog shoulder mount. Now he told me left and right up and down when he would be done... and excuces after excuses. It was very upsetting. Especially when he said it is ready and waiting for me. when I showed up...Nothing! He wasnt finished! So, Just go with Steve Eberhart. Does good work, picks up from your house and drops off to! reasonable prices, and does timely work. Ive done business with him for over two decades!
marblebelly
hunter

Postby 'JaminC'mon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Twelve months is a typical time frame to get your mounts back, sometimes even longer. My dad is a taxidermist and that is what he tells everyone, 1 year. Sometimes he will get mounts done in 9 months depending what it is and what batch of animals he's working on. Often fish will fall in that category because they take up valuable freezer space so need to be mounted to free up space for incoming work.

Also, be careful how much you ride their ***, in recent years my dad has started charging customers a $10 fee for every time they call to check on their mount before the 12 months is up. He has it listed on the contract you sign that you may be subject to the fee for calling to check on the mount. The reason for that was the high volume of customers calling to check on their mounts and taking him away from working on mounts. Taxidermists are not paid by the hour, so when a customer calls to check up, it takes away from his time of working and he's losing money so he needs to recoup that somehow. Since implementing that practice, the number of calls has significantly decreased.

Duxrus, be careful when you advise people to leave their mount there and not pay if they aren't satisfied. Often a taxidermist will have you fill out a form with your info and mounting instructions and your signature. That is a binding contract and the taxidermist can take you to civil court to force you to pay for the mount. If you are not happy with the mount, you will need to work it out with the taxidermist to get the issue fixed, either for a cheaper price, complete redo or compensation to have it fixed elsewhere.
'JaminC'mon
hunter

Postby duxrus » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:37 am

Sorry but if someone isn't willing to stand behind their work then sue me. If someone comes to pick up a crappy mount they should ask for a discount :huh: Would you be happy getting a discount on a pizz poor product of any kind.......No. Sir, here is your car but we will discount the big dent in the hood...Clients are always right so if they aren't happy with your lack of quality then you would sue....odds are your client list would begin to suffer once word got out you were trying to force subpar work on your clients. Good luck with that. As you stated ,"time is money" so you are going to double tap yourself by sueing for alittle money ? Let's see, potentially loosing mutliple clients down the road once word gets out, lost time and $ trying to sue someone, and that's a good route for business.

Too many taxidermist out there advertise with the one good piece they have ever turned out, blow smoke up a new client's skirt telling them how great they are to get work, or even use pictures of other's work to pass it off as their own. I am sorry but you should stand behind your work 100%. I have had one person call back months after picking up his mounts that has complained in over 20 years. His complaint was that his early season Canvassback didn't end up looking like the one in the picture he brought me to copy which was spotless.(The one in the pictrue was snow white and his well, looked like an early pinny bird with grey wings to boot....not white like the older bird in the pic) I told him that I couldn't (or anyone on this planet) could make his bird look like that BEFORE he left it and that I could only do the best I could. It came out looking good and he acted super happy when he picked it up. He called back about 3 months later and said "I know you warned me it wouldn't look like the one in the picture but that is what I really wanted it to look like.Is there anything you can do?" I told him he should have said something when he was here and that I had warned him the quality of his bird wasn't there to begin with but I would do another one for him free of charge if he brought in a late season bird so I would have something worthy to start with.

If a painter came in and did a shotty job would you pay them ? Why would this situation be any different ? Too many people in this country would rather sue than do the right thing. If I am going to be forced to accept something that I didn't ask for then you are going to have to come and get your $.
duxrus
hunter

Postby 'JaminC'mon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:39 pm

I'm just stating the law. Don't tell someone to just walk and leave the piece there because there could be legal ramifications if they signed a work order. Only once has he taken someone to court (about 15 years ago) and that's because they had 6 pieces finished and they didn't pick up any of them or even make an attempt to; it was over $2000 worth of work.

I'm not trying to get into an argument with you, I just want to advise people. And yes, the taxidermist does need to stand behind the work they do which is why I stated something should be worked out, discount, complete redo, or compensation to have the work redone at another shop.

Is it right to give someone a "garbage" mount? Absolutely not. But that is also on the customer to do their homework before taking their prize specimen to the taxidermist. My dad has redone countless pieces other taxidermists have done and charged only for the supplies he used, just to put their mind at ease and hopefully gain a repeat customer in the future. He has had a few people complain about their piece, such as a fish, not being the right color it was when they caught it because there are so many variations of colors in walleyes (Canadian walleyes are much darker that WI walleyes). When a customer has complained, he has redone the mount at his cost to get it right for the customer.

As you mentioned about the canvasback, I completely agree the taxidermist needs to advise people beforehand, as you did, that the mount won't turn out as they expected because it's all pinfeathers.

Also I liked what you said about guys having display pieces advertising their work that weren't even done by them. There are a couple guys in our area that do deer heads and use deer head my dad has done for them as their display pieces. Nothing we can do, but it is totally unethical on their part. The best form of advertisement is word of mouth which is why the best shops are backlogged at least a year and rarely advertise. If a shop is always advertising and can get the mount back to you in under 6 months, it's probably because their quality is lacking.
'JaminC'mon
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:18 pm

I got my birds 2 years after I dropped them off. I only wish it would have been 9 months or even a year. The guy that did mine, did do an amazing job, but I can find just as good for $25 more and 1.5 years faster. I also heard every single excuse one could come up with. He did a great job, but he quoted me 8 months and it took 24. He's lost my business. Be patient
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby bigrick_2u » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Any word on your bird?
"If you have totals of ducks you've killed this year, I count your point as invalid."
bigrick_2u
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:45 am

Still no mount. I called him on November 2nd and he told me 10 days. Still no phone call.

Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:31 pm

that's bs man. I would go to his shop and get my bird back. most likely its in his freezer. take it to someone who wants to earn your business. why is a taxidermist held up so high and mighty?!
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby PADuck » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:31 pm

I've waited 16 months at the longest for a mount. I d ont badger my taxi in fear of him botching my bird on purpose. Maybe I'm just paranoyed
PADuck
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum