Duluth or Minneapolis????

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Duluth or Minneapolis????

Postby fish'n'shoot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:17 am

Hey all,

I'm writing from the Milwaukee area - my wife, daughter and I are moving to your GREAT state summer of 2014. We have two potential areas to settle, Duluth or Minneapolis.

This is where I am looking for some feedback. I AM NOT ASKING FOR YOUR HONNEY HOLES, just help concerning hunting and fishing opportunities that the two areas offer to assist us in making our decision.

Currently I hunt waterfowl on public land, which is super busy because we get tons of pressure from Chicago people coming north - super frustrating! Also, not as many lakes/water as there is in MN. I know the MN DNR has a nice website with maps of public land (it is much more user friendly than the WI DNR sites). I have been lucky to have access to private land for grouse, deer and turkey here in WI. I have kayaks, canoes and a Grumman Sport Boat (my mistress).

I guess my quandaries are;

1) How much pressure does public land receive around Duluth/Minneapolis? (if we moved to Minneapolis should I just plan on buying land to avoid the crowds?)

2) What other hunting opportunities do the two areas offer? I understand that deer are abundant in the Duluth area - any pheasant, turkey, quail, woodcock, grouse?

3) Also, I love to shoot sporting clay courses - are there any within reasonable driving distances from Minneapolis?

4) Anything I am missing?

Again, please don't get upset thinking I am asking for your secret spots or specific locations. General advice about the opportunities and pressures that the two areas have would be helpful for us while we weigh our options.

Feel free to pm me as well.

I appreciate your input!
fish'n'shoot
hunter

Re: Duluth or Minneapolis????

Postby MinneKans » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:29 am

I suggest Mpls. More job opportunities and activities for the family. Expect a month or two more of winter weather in Duluth. As far as the outdoor opportunities, all the activities in Duluth would be a short 3-4 hour drive from Mpls. Welcome to MN.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:35 am

If you can afford it buy land
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:46 am

^^^ This...

Either place you will be putting in dash time. Duluth is not a pheasant mecca. Around Duluth (with in 1 hour), Ducks are decent grouse is good, deer is good, fishing great. Turkey are moving north all the time. Not sure the population, but the MN DNR could let you know. No quail in MN.

Minneapolis has only a few public hunting spots within an hour. Everyone and their mothers use them. Not the most fun. You can get into some pheasants within 30 minutes, but so can everyone else. The further west you go, the better the opportunity for them as well as waterfowl.

Hope that helped.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby goldfish » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:59 am

I've got nothing more to add except that what they have said is correct.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 am

Duluth: Great Fishing, great deer hunting, ok waterfowl, good grouse.

Minneapolis: Within an hours west you can have some really good hunting. Within two hours you can have great hunting. There are even places closer but expect to get there early.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby MNBillBlaster-r-r » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:46 am

I've lived in both places and it depends what you do for work and what you want? I live an hour north of Duluth currently, and have a great job making good money. I was able to get a house on 40 acres, great deer hunting and grouse hunting off my back deck. Duck hunting is fair to great up here, but for the best of the best, you better like cold weather. Fishing, the best in the state. If you have trade skills of managing, you can get a job easy, especially with experience. 40-110k a year at some mining outfits. The MPLS area is great too, but don't expect to be sighting in rifles off the back deck , without a felony charge. The duck hunting is great , but expect 1-3 hours drive. I do miss all the good food, but not the credit card bills from my wife's endeavors at the area malls. It depends, if you want north wood and small to midsize cities, or your more the farm country metropolis type. They both have pro's and con's. I will say MPLS has two more months of summer than us, but you can actually swim in our lakes and not get green. Good luck, either way you will have made a great choice.
MNBillBlaster-r-r
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:07 am

There's a club with a 300 yard+ range within 30 minutes of downtown. A number of places with trap and alert too. Plenty of shooting options, but you'll typically drive farther to get great hunting.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby fish'n'shoot » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:12 am

Thanks for all of the great advice - the posts and pms have been super helpful.

We are moving for my wife's job - she has great offers in both Minneapolis and Duluth. We also have family in Minneapolis, so I somewhat understand the metro area and not being able to discharge firearms off of my deck (despite what our vice president advocates). My grandfather had a cabin in Fergus Falls area I would visit every summer when I was a young lad all the way through undergrad. That area was AWESOME for fishing, but I never had a chance to hunt it. However, that is 3 hours away from the area we would live if we moved to Minneapolis...

It sounds like Duluth is a great place to raise a family with good people and an excellent array of outdoor activities.

Duluth - Clean lake huh? Milwaukee local government had the brilliant idea to combine the city septic lines with the storm water lines years ago... ever since the treatment system has been habitually overloaded with every moderate rainfall. The city then releases the overflow into Lake Michigan. They put a cap on the amount though, no more than 3 MILLION GALLONS OF SEPTIC A DAY. Yeah, I fish Lake Michigan, but no way would I eat any thing that comes out of it nor would I ever swim in it.

Thanks again - can't wait to get to the land of ten thousand lakes.
fish'n'shoot
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting