Installing Avery Quick Set blind on my War Eagle 648LDV pods

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Installing Avery Quick Set blind on my War Eagle 648LDV pods

Postby weekendhunter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm finally getting around and getting the nerve to install my Avery Quick Set blind on my 16 foot War Eagle boat. This boat does have the trolling motor mount in the front. I purchased the duck blind brackets from War Eagle. I have noticed the blind brackets will be lower than the wings in the back on the boat. Do I just mount the blind on the wings or stop short of the wings and just use the brackets? Do I want to try and bend the side pieces to follow the curve of the boat? The motor is a 30 HP Evinrude with trim and tilt. There doesn't appear to be any clearance problems with this motor. I concerned about getting the right height so I'm hidden but still comfortable looking out. My first boat blind was slightly too tall and I want to avoid that this time. I have heard some stories that this is difficult to install and/or tricky to follow the instructions.I may be doing most of this myself with a little help from my wife. Any suggested "do this and don't do that" would be helpful. Thanks. :smile:
weekendhunter
hunter

Re: Installing Avery Quick Set blind on my War Eagle 648LDV

Postby Casing » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Keep us posted and post pics if you can. I'm considering the same blind for my 1650 Xpress.
Casing
hunter

Postby midaoutlaw » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:46 am

Stick with the brackets. You are not going to loose much by doing that, and removal is a snap when mounting in the gunnel slot.
midaoutlaw
hunter

Postby weekendhunter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:21 pm

The blind is finally on and I need to put the grass on it. All of the things you might have heard about the instructions being less than clear are true. With a little trial and error and doing and re-doing, it is up. I still have some issues with getting the flip tops close enough together. (the boat is much wider in the back than the front) I'm going to see how it works as is and maybe use some fast grass to midigate the situation. If anyone is interested, I'll try and post some pictures soon.
weekendhunter
hunter

Postby Riverrunner342 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:20 pm

You might consider using some of any left over square tubing to extend the height of one or both of your lids. I put 6" pieces on the flip top that goes over the non hunting side of the boat and that gave me more cover over my head and it also allowed the top to flip down directly over the main lengthwise frame piece which seems to lessen the chance of bending the tubing.

If you do not have any left over pieces, you can order them through the Avery retail store in Memphis.

Good luck. Your blind should work great for you. My old Avery blind was in use every year for 15 years without any failures.
Riverrunner342
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds