Repainting decoys

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, SPatrick, 870shooter

Repainting decoys

Postby sehunter1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm too cheap to let a good thing go unused and have been repainting my decoys for the past few seasons. Problem is after each season they look about as rough as when I started. Maybe it's the paint, I use outdoor plastic paint from hobby lobby. Anybody have luck keeping a decoy paint on through the whole season? Maybe there's some sort of a flat, no shine finish I'm missing? :help: :huh:
sehunter1
hunter

Re: Repainting decoys

Postby Sprigs68 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:05 pm

Wash them with a powdered soap/detergent and rinse them very well. Then paint them with Krylon fusion. Spray paint is hard to control so I make a couple of rudementary templates to go by.
Sprigs68
hunter

Postby JAKE22STL » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Flat clear coat. I apply this to all of my new decoys and re apply every few years. It really helps them stand up to the abuse. I hunt a lot of public land so my decoys get a lot of bag time. The clear coat also gives a little more uv reflection making the decoys more visible to the ducks.
JAKE22STL
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:56 pm

These are some old Mallard dekes I painted. I painted a half a dozen like this. I wasn't wanting to attract Canvasbacks in particular, just add something different to the outside of the spread and black and white is supposed to be what shows up the best. I just taped them off and sprayed them with Krylon. Funny though, the very first time we used them we did kill three Cans that day. Here's a pic of the one I got, my first and only so far.
Attachments
DSC03688.JPG
DSC03682 (Small).JPG
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby sehunter1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:21 am

870shooter wrote:These are some old Mallard dekes I painted. I painted a half a dozen like this. I wasn't wanting to attract Canvasbacks in particular, just add something different to the outside of the spread and black and white is supposed to be what shows up the best. I just taped them off and sprayed them with Krylon. Funny though, the very first time we used them we did kill three Cans that day. Here's a pic of the one I got, my first and only so far.

Nice dekes and bird! Looks like ya had quite a day. I'm still waiting on a pretty one for myself, I nearly took the head off my first one.
sehunter1
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:24 am

Thanks for the tips fellas. If I can stay outta my treestand this afternoon I'll paint the dekes and post a pic
sehunter1
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting