Inconsiderate Idiots verses Good Guys

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Inconsiderate Idiots verses Good Guys

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:09 am

Not being one that wants to fight the weekend crowds on the public marshes and having the luxury of being retired, My hunting buddy and I hunt on week days. Yesterday morning we went to McPherson Valley to see if we might get a teal of two, we got there about 2 hours before shooting time. We were the only ones there and decided to have a cup of coffee while waiting for a break in the rain. Then crap the dreaded head lights coming down the road appeared. A pickup with two young men pulled in next to mine, the driver rolls his window down and says excuse me sir where do you fellows plan on setting up. Well this polite jester lead to everyone exchanging names, it turns out this young fellow had hunted this pool for several years, he told us which direction the birds usually came from, what the layout of the surrounding area was like and in general a very nice conversation. They said that what ever area we wanted to hunt they would try and get at least 300 yards from us, and also would let the birds work the decoys as they hated sky busting. Well, we got our decoys set as did they and then they came down and BS'd for about 30 minutes before heading back to their decoys for the hunt. Those young men were the good guys, Well 15 minutes before shooting time this guy pulls into the parking lot, spends 5 minutes getting ready , walks down the dike passed me and my buddy and walks with in 30 yards of the young fellows decoys, pulls 6 decoys from the gunny sack he had them in, walks to the edge of the dike and sets the dekes out, this INCONSIDERATE idiot had a pair of hip waders on and could only get 6 feet from the edge to set his decoys. Ill spare you the details of the rest of the morning except to say this INCONSIDERATE idiot and his sky busting the birds screwed a good morning up for everyone. He couldn't retrieve anything out over the water so he shot at everything out over the land. BTW we spoke with the young fellows and the said they asked the guy to move away from them and he just looked at them and never uttered a word, wouldnt even talk to them. So theres the story of the inconsiderate idiot verses the Good Guys

Dear hunter from Texas, please next year stay out of Kansas or before you come , learn what CONSIDERATE means
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Re: Inconsiderate Idiots verses Good Guys

Postby TBS » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:37 pm

In those cases, I typically just ask the inconsiderate person to join us rather than ruin our hunt.

Crowded public areas, and inconsiderate hunting seem to go hand in hand. Probably why I pretty much quit hunting ducks in KS and have moved on to greener pastures.
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Is that why you feel the need to tell OOSers to go crowd less popular areas and burn up smaller populations?
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:54 pm

TBS, I don't ask inconsiderate people to join my hunts for a number of reasons, the main ones are, -A- I don't know the person and figure if hes not smart enough to stay wide and clear hes not to bright, if you want to invite someone that's dumb enough to set up 30 yards from you, doesn't have means to retrieve what he shoots and in this case wouldn't even speak to any one, be my guest, -B- I don't know what his hunting ethics are, -C- I don't know just how safe he handles a gun.

Fowlhunter, I don't know quite how to interpret your statement: I haven't told any OOSer to go else where, I simply said, please before returning to Kansas to learn what the term Consideration means. Also I don't care whether its an OOSer or my next door neighbor, being inconsiderate of another person or persons is both rude and disrespectful and something I don't cotton to. in this case it wasn't a young person that was inconsiderate, it was a guy about 55 years old that damn well should have known better than to hunt an area by himself that he didn't know the water depth, especially for his own safety, set 6 decoys 6 feet from the edge of a dike 30 yards from another group and sky bust ever thing that comes along
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:00 pm

fowlhunter wrote:Is that why you feel the need to tell OOSers to go crowd less popular areas and burn up smaller populations?

Yes, that is the why I feel the need.

Thank you for asking.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby cONG » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:36 pm

What can you do about it?
cONG
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:51 pm

cONG , there is nothing one can do about inconsiderate or slob hunters, they exist . The only positive from this day is that my buddy and I met two very nice young men that know what hunter etiquette and consideration is and they are the type of young folks that are the future of our sport
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Good thread, In my 20's I didnt mind hunting surrounded by the crowds and dealing with a few idiots on a regular basis. But somewhere in my 30's I decided I could no longer be a part of that mess. I made the decision that even if it meant seeing less ducks and pulling the trigger less often I would hunt away from the crowds. Id rather shoot 1 or 2 decoying birds and never see another hunter than shoot a limit pass shooting and hearing guys yell and laugh. For me... the solitude a huge part of what I hunt ducks.

Tomorrow morning I am going on a teal hunt on public ground where im 95% sure I wont see another hunter other than my father. If I shoot two ducks and get buzzed by a few flocks low enough to hear the whistle of their wings i'll have no regrets
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:51 am

I know folks from out of state are not real popular with most resident hunters and being a non-resident who spends 15 to 25 days a season in AR for the past 5 or 6 years I can understand why some feel that way. There are a lot of inconsiderate dip sticks out there. I am heading out your way this year to give Kansas a try. You won’t have to worry about that from me I have seen the circus that some can cause. The mess that you spoke of is not just a Kansas problem it’s everywhere. I have had guys come in and set up on top of me just because I was on the point or creek that they wanted to hunt and then sky bust everything that tried to work the decoys I guess their rational is if they can’t kill em nobody should. I guess sometimes you just have to over look idiots. It’s like my best friend once told me” you think and education is costly brother you should try being stupid.”
The guys that I hunt with are a different from most. We travel out of state at least once or twice a year to hunt. We have always tried to make friends where ever we go and be respectful of people. We have friends from out of state that we talk with on a weekly basis and they look as forward to us pulling in the driveway as much as we do heading out to hunt. We consider them more family now than friends. One of our buddies brings his family out every year during the summer for two weeks just to visit and hang out on the lake and we always have a blast. I figured out 2 important things in life a long time ago. 1. Life is a lot easier when you get along with folks and 2. If you have good friends you are a truly rich man.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Rivercountry, let me be the first to welcome you to Kansas, I have nothing against out of state hunters and I hope my initial post didn't appear that I did. It was just a draw of the straw as you will that the idiot was from Texas, if his license plate would of been from my own county or town , I would have left the guy the same message. Hell Ive hunted with good friends that brought along a work buddy that turned out to be the biggest ass you've ever saw. Needless to say he wasn't invited back to hunt with me again. So I guess the bottom line is there are idiots in every state as you say. Good luck with your hunting here and enjoy your stay
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:34 pm

Thank you, I am looking very forward to seeing a different part of this ole country.
rivercountry
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:01 pm

Cluck, the comment was directed towards TBS not you.

Tomcat, nice to see you around again.

I too hunt different states, if you are considerate it doesn't matter where you are from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Rivercountry, just a bit of info for you before you come to Kansas.

1. Buy a KU cap, wear it and leave the NC Tarheel one at home
2. Bill Self is the Jayhawk coach
3. If asked , Fog Allen Fieldhouse is your favorite arena for basketball
4. You jump up every 5 minutes if in a sports bar and yell Rock Chalk Jay Hawk as loud as you can.
5. And finally if any one asks you Lawrence Kansas is the capitol of college basketball not Chapel Hill NC

ROFLOL
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:58 am

Dear hunter from Texas, please next year stay out of Kansas or before you come , learn what CONSIDERATE means

Hate to tell you but it is not just Texas guys. Guess you haven't ever hunted out on public land before. Especially now everybody thinks they are a duck hunter and guys dont know what being considerate or being a good water fowler is. Every state has aceholes and they will never go away.
txhunter90
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks for the information cluckmeister it is noted (Making pocket size flashcards). Hope I don’t get shot for internet scouting now. :lol3:
No worries about the ball team, even though I am from NC (born and raised) and may be shot for treason I can’t stand Tarheel blue. Don’t even get me started on the Carolina Panthers, I swear sometimes I think one of our local High school foot ball teams could whip em on a given Sunday.
All jokes aside guys, I do look forward to visiting yalls state and will do my best to take care of the small piece I borrow the week I am there and hopefully leave it better than I found it. Oh yeah I know you boys out there love the mallards so mash em but save me few teal, golden eye, and red heads if it’s not too much trouble.
:thumbsup: :beer:
Happy hunting and stay safe
rivercountry
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Txhunter90, Please read my Saturday July 14, 12:13 pm post, It states that the guy just happened to be from Texas and I would of made the same statement to anyone regardless of where he or they were from. It was just the draw of the straw if you will that he was from Texas. Also I have hunted public land for 43 years so you were a wee bit wrong on your statement about never have hunted public land. I'm certainly aware that there inconsiderate people out there hunting that public land and it comes with the territory, on the other hand you have some very nice and considerate people hunting this same land. The intent of my topic was showing the difference between the two groups
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Rivercountry, enjoy yourself while visiting the great state of Kansas, have a safe trip both coming and going.
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:55 am

fowlhunter wrote:Is that why you feel the need to tell OOSers to go crowd less popular areas and burn up smaller populations?

Huh? :huh:

What on earth are you talking about? I simply offered up a bit of advice to the OP who had a hunt ruined by the disrespect of another hunter. He obviously didn't have any interest in my suggestion and handled the situation as he saw fit. What about my post (or previous posts) would prompt you to make such a comment?
TBS
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:02 pm

TBS, I owe you an apology...... I miss read your post. I went back and looked again and the advise was for private property. I'm still not keen on the "less populated area" bit, but never the less I read it wrong.

I've officially turned into the guy who gives absolutely nothing up about locations. Things have turned into a zoo everywhere and I'd just assume keep it to myself, and wish others would too. You want to talk dekes, spreads, calls, I'm game. Just not locations. Obviously the bottoms and quiverra are no secrets, outside that people need to figure it out on their own. If they are serious about the sport and not some lazy fair weather hunter they will appreciate it in the end.

That's my rant for the day. Again I'm sorry for typing out my butt!
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby TBS » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:15 pm

fowlhunter wrote:TBS, I owe you an apology...... I miss read your post. I went back and looked again and the advise was for private property. I'm still not keen on the "less populated area" bit, but never the less I read it wrong.

I've officially turned into the guy who gives absolutely nothing up about locations. Things have turned into a zoo everywhere and I'd just assume keep it to myself, and wish others would too. You want to talk dekes, spreads, calls, I'm game. Just not locations. Obviously the bottoms and quiverra are no secrets, outside that people need to figure it out on their own. If they are serious about the sport and not some lazy fair weather hunter they will appreciate it in the end.

That's my rant for the day. Again I'm sorry for typing out my butt!

No worries. Do a review of my posts on this board and you will see I'm right there beside you. Kansas has become a zoo from a waterfowling standpoint, and I've had all of it I can stand. Bring on 30 and 3 for about 5 seasons, and I might start hunting locally again.
TBS
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Gentlemen, I feel the need to interpret the jest of my thread. It wasn't a rant on the inconsiderate idiot that ruined the day for other hunters that day. It also wasn't a rant on how bad the public areas are now days, my like or dislike of out of state hunters , and as some folks call them fair weather hunters. It was a comparison between a middle aged fellow that had no respect for other hunters and two very well mannered young men that somewhere along the line learned and knew the meaning of consideration for their fellow hunter. The post was written by a fellow -me- that at one time was one of 5 of the most hardcore water fowlers in the state of Kansas. Back in the day we would set 300 duck decoys just to shoot 3 ducks apiece, hunted with 4 labs and 1 of the best Chessies -mine- you've ever have seen. Those days are long gone, our respective ages now are, 62,63,63,64, and 66. Hell every one thought we were stupid setting 150 goose shells on ice and then laying on that ice trying to shoot 1 goose apiece. No one dared call us fair weather hunters LOL To sum it up in 42 years of duck and goose hunting Ive met some mighty fine folks such as the two young men first talked about in my post but Ive seen some dumb ones along the line also. The good ones far out number the bad ones. Are the few bad ones you run into worth giving up the great tradition of water fowling I think not.
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby TBS » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:24 am

cluckmeister wrote: The post was written by a fellow -me- that at one time was one of 5 of the most hardcore water fowlers in the state of Kansas.

No offense intended, but those are some mighty strong words there my friend. How is it that you were able to rank yourself as one of the "5 most hardcore waterfowlers in the state of Kansas?" Was that published somewhere that I can read all about it?

cluckmeister wrote:Back in the day we would set 300 duck decoys just to shoot 3 ducks apiece, hunted with 4 labs and 1 of the best Chessies -mine- you've ever have seen.

Once again, no offense intended here but your comments make you come off a bit arrogent. I used to think I had one of the best Labs in the entire world, then I got involved in competetive field trials during my days living in Memphis. I learned very quickly that what I "thought" was the best dog on planet earth was just one of many great dogs.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that you are probably a VERY good waterfowl hunter and have had a VERY good dog. You have probably learned alot over the years, but to qualify yourself above thousands of other people you've never met seems a bit nearsighted to me. Of course thats my opinion, and its worth exactly what you paid for it. :beer:
Last edited by TBS on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
TBS
hunter

Postby n2ducks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 am

:huh: not sure why you needed 5 dogs to pick up 15 birds. We hunted one to pick up thirty 2 weeks ago.
n2ducks
hunter

Postby radfordc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:00 am

n2ducks wrote::huh: not sure why you needed 5 dogs to pick up 15 birds. We hunted one to pick up thirty 2 weeks ago.

Yep...you are AWESOME!
radfordc
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:06 pm

n2ducks wrote::huh: not sure why you needed 5 dogs to pick up 15 birds. We hunted one to pick up thirty 2 weeks ago.

Those had better have been dry-land doves or you're in some sort of trouble.
mudpack
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting