Beavertail Marsh Sleds

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Beavertail Marsh Sleds

Postby macmn3 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Anyone tried these out? Thinking of getting one to tow behind my canoe if they float well
Shoot 'em dead boys
macmn3
hunter

Re: Beavertail Marsh Sleds

Postby coulterville33 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:45 pm

I just picked up a four rivers layout boats sled today. I have small plastic decoy sleds and there is no comparison this sled is huge and built tuff from what I can tell all fiberglass
coulterville33
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:28 am

They float well. Keep it balance and not overloaded. Buy the biggest one you can handle. be careful, the big one is big and heavy.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:38 am

I bought the biggest one at cabelas yesterday. Hoping that the holes for the tow rope don't sink below the water line with a moderate load on it.
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:09 am

wanapasaki wrote:I bought the biggest one at cabelas yesterday. Hoping that the holes for the tow rope don't sink below the water line with a moderate load on it.

Put the heavier stuff in the back. Keep in mind; It's a sled. You can't haul all of your heavy gear on it. Like I stated before. You have to be careful, not just in buying the size sled you can handle but loading it as well. I learned that the hard way. The sleds work great for decoys and smaller items. Don't put the heavy blind bag in it and expect it to tow well. it won't unless the sled is well balanced with gear.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby macmn3 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, I was mostly thinking of hauling a couple dozen dekes and my marsh seat in it, so sounds like it will work
Shoot 'em dead boys
macmn3
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:27 pm

I've got the smaller of the two Shapell? brand sleds and I can get get in mine and float in water, that is 140lbs it'll float. given it was tippy, but it floated me, and I only tested it in shallow water to see what it could handle.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 pm

wanapasaki wrote:I bought the biggest one at cabelas yesterday. Hoping that the holes for the tow rope don't sink below the water line with a moderate load on it.

Pull the ropes out. Get a good apoxy a fill the wholes in. Then put eye loops on top of the sled to attach the rope to. I also put those eye loops all around the sled to hook the bungees to so they stay in place and not slide around on the plastic boat. You can load them up good but make sure it's balanced. They like to flip if not.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:56 am

good advice sgt. I'm going to give that a try.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:

Pull the ropes out. Get a good apoxy a fill the wholes in. Then put eye loops on top of the sled to attach the rope to. I also put those eye loops all around the sled to hook the bungees to so they stay in place and not slide around on the plastic boat. You can load them up good but make sure it's balanced. They like to flip if not.

Going to put two eyes on it and fill the holes with silicone caulking. I have used the sleds in the past and you can make a nice pack out setup, by tethering them together
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum