Hooded Merganser

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Hooded Merganser

Postby swampraider » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:47 pm

I am relatively new to duck hunting and shot a Hooded Merganzer last Saturday. After reading some of the posts about Merganzers the thought of cooking the bird does not seem that appealing. But then I read somewhere that Hooded Merganzers are a little better than other Merganzers because they tend to eat other things besides fish.

Is this true or not?...or to any extent at all?. Either way, I still plan on cooking and eating the bird. But it would be nice to know if it needs to be spiced up a bit more than the other ducks. Worse case - it can just be added to a pot of chili.

Thanks
swampraider
Newb

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:11 pm

Deffinately cook the bird, and yeah you might use a little more doctoring than other birds.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Wooderson » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:49 pm

I've never bothered to cook a merganser not too sure if a hooded tastes better or not. Don't shoot them that often but when we do one of us keeps in in the freezer for training dogs.
Wooderson
hunter

Postby Wooderson » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:49 pm

I've never bothered to cook a merganser not too sure if a hooded tastes better or not. Don't shoot them that often but when we do one of us keeps in in the freezer for training dogs. I've heard people say they wrap them in bacon and they dont taste half bad but i've never tried it.
Wooderson
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking