Is Cabela's turning into WalMart?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Is Cabela's turning into WalMart?

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:20 am

Indaswamp wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:stuff is alot cheaper at wal mart. You pay more than you need to at cabelas because their sales people wear nice shirts even tho they don't have any idea what they are talking about half the time.

the worlds most foremost outfitter seems like it has pretty woeful selection as well.

You shoulda seen the store opening here in town. Why would someone need 4 rows of musky and pike baits in Louisiana?? :huh:

Don't you guys have a healthy pickerel fishery?
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:08 am

Retail has changed...not just Cabelas.
Why? Banks.
A retail giant most likely borrows money to aquire inventory. The bank is making business decisions for them. (Cabelas)
They (Cabelas) actually have an inventory...Rogers?
Truck sale with no trucks?

Another angle is manuracturers pushing to get their products sold. A retailer buys the items and if they dont sell...reduces the prices. The manufacturer screams bloody murder and wants to sue becsuse everyone is saying they got a deal last month so why is the price so high now? This has to really suck but business is business.

It will be a long long time before you can get RnT calls from Cabelas imo.
They dumped a ton of calls cheap...remember?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:19 am

Indaswamp wrote:The Duck Dynasty crowd "New duck hunter" has to have somewhere to shop.....

Last year, there were many more yahoo Duck Dynasty inspired idiots out there. I imagine, this year will be worse.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:55 am

aunt betty wrote:Retail has changed...not just Cabelas.
Why? Banks.
A retail giant most likely borrows money to aquire inventory. The bank is making business decisions for them. (Cabelas)
They (Cabelas) actually have an inventory...Rogers?
Truck sale with no trucks?

Another angle is manuracturers pushing to get their products sold. A retailer buys the items and if they dont sell...reduces the prices. The manufacturer screams bloody murder and wants to sue becsuse everyone is saying they got a deal last month so why is the price so high now? This has to really suck but business is business.

It will be a long long time before you can get RnT calls from Cabelas imo.
They dumped a ton of calls cheap...remember?

I partially agree with the first part of this. Large retailers do borrow monty for inventory and operating capital but all the banks require with their loan agreements are timely payments on the note. The banks are typically not in the position to dictate business decisions as those are left up to the board to decide and unfortunately more and more non-hunting merchandise is being sold these days to keep the money flowing.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Windrider » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Cablelas has been heading downhill.

I like the Cabelas branded gear...on sale. They used to have some cabelas branded upland boots that were the best production upland boots available. I'll have to go with Russel Mocs next time.

While Bass Pro doesn't have the waterfowl catalog, I think their selection of gear is better this year. Ended up buying my sons youth setup this year for the first time this year.
Windrider
hunter

Postby jehler » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:41 pm

I received my new cabelas card in the mail today along with an announcement that I have reached silver status, guess I'm kinda of a big deal
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:45 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:stuff is alot cheaper at wal mart. You pay more than you need to at cabelas because their sales people wear nice shirts even tho they don't have any idea what they are talking about half the time.

the worlds most foremost outfitter seems like it has pretty woeful selection as well.

You shoulda seen the store opening here in town. Why would someone need 4 rows of musky and pike baits in Louisiana?? :huh:

Don't you guys have a healthy pickerel fishery?

Nope. Very few of them down here. they have stocked them in a few lakes in central Louisiana, but that's it.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

Because they know damn well some coonass is going to discover that they work great for turtles, and they need to have the inventory ready.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Went to Cabelas today to look for a wind operating spinner. The didn't have a single one. You would think with the popularity of duck hunting in North Dakota and NW MN that why would want something like that but I guess not.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:10 am

Indaswamp wrote:

For their big fishing trip to...Illinois? :lol3:
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:56 am

jehler wrote:I received my new cabelas card in the mail today along with an announcement that I have reached silver status, guess I'm kinda of a big deal

Nah, just another sucka to them. They only try to make you feel special so it's easier to part you from your money.

Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:08 am

Don't listen to him, jehler. You're a big deal.
This is the Internet. This is serious.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:23 am

I miss Sportsman's Warehouse... :crying:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:20 am

Was actually at cabela's Saturday (KC) i went to the area the decoys use to be... And had to ask a worker where is the hunting stuff!!!! I walked all the way to the back!! Through all the clothes... crap... dinner plates... lamps... etc.. :no: :no: :no: I was there to exchange my waders got that done (after fighting with them about it!!!) got the new pair got out of there.. drove to Rogers and spent my money there!!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby jpeterson117 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Totally agree with everyone here. Every time I go there is more clothes plates and useless hunting crap. I ask myself why I went every time I leave. The only way to get any hunting stuff from them is online.
jpeterson117
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Interesting what WalMart is stocking these days.
I saw they have Flambeau Texas Rig Decoy Weights - 36" (3oz), 54" (4oz), or you can buy the cord, weights, swivels, clamps, separate. They also have Hodgman 1600 thinsulate waders.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:15 pm

I have never not found exactly what I was looking for at the cabelas near me. Very excellent store. The people who work there also don't know anything, and hate being asked questions, which suits me perfectly. I hate it when people come up to me in the store and ask if they can help me with something. Also why I love fleet and farm so much, I swear they train their employees to turn around and walk away if they see someone coming.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Gunnysway wrote:I miss Sportsman's Warehouse... :crying:

RIP
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby rank duck » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Bill Herian wrote:I have never not found exactly what I was looking for at the cabelas near me. Very excellent store. The people who work there also don't know anything, and hate being asked questions, which suits me perfectly. I hate it when people come up to me in the store and ask if they can help me with something. Also why I love fleet and farm so much, I swear they train their employees to turn around and walk away if they see someone coming.

well ain't you special...
'Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh!t by the clean end.'
rank duck
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:36 pm

Cabelas here is close to worthless. Spendy too.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:37 am

Bill Herian wrote:I have never not found exactly what I was looking for at the cabelas near me. Very excellent store. The people who work there also don't know anything, and hate being asked questions, which suits me perfectly. I hate it when people come up to me in the store and ask if they can help me with something. Also why I love fleet and farm so much, I swear they train their employees to turn around and walk away if they see someone coming.

Ours is called farm and fleet which is actually good.
Their competition, Rural King is just like you said. They run away and hide. To top it off it says on the back of their shirts to "ask me for help". rofl (actually this :mad: )
I hate when they offer to help, then call for help on the intercom from their cellphone. Then nobody knows what I want. They say they dont have it. Then I prove them wrong by finding it...
They wonder why I am so hostile.
Been through this over and over for simple items like "shoe goo".
Steams me.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:39 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:

RIP

Got one here still. But the last time I was in there, I overheard some guys talking about where they could find a swamp people motor. Then I swear on my life, they came over to where I was looking at the newly stocked duck calls and wanted a Duck Dynasty call that Si made. I do my shopping online as much as I can. Cabelas too spendy, Sportsman's too crowded, and wal mart is a corporation I try to never support.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:23 pm

I just never understand the Walmart hate. Seems so "trendy" and unjustified.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:08 pm

assateague wrote:I just never understand the Walmart hate. Seems so "trendy" and unjustified.

Ever watched the documentary, "The high cost of low prices?"
quacknstack6 wrote:L&L is right
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:04 pm

MinnesotaDan wrote:

RIP

Sportsmans is alive and well in Vancouver, Wa. A buddy is a manager there and they are turning and burning a lot of product out the doors. They actually have stuff there that I use. I hardly ever waste my money at Cabela's. Overpriced for sure.

I cordially hate Walmart for a variety of reasons. Including but not limited to their business practices, the dirt bags that shop there, sucky customer service, and to many others to mention.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole