Buck Gardner Calls

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Buck Gardner Calls

Postby Quackhead90 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:09 pm

I saw that Cabela's has Buck Gardner calls on sale for $14.99. I was wondering if any used the calls. I think I'll just get a few at that price just to try them out. Any comments or suggestions would really help. Thanks guys.
Quackhead90
hunter

Re: Buck Gardner Calls

Postby DE-DuckNBass » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:47 pm

I have the Reactor and like it.
Can't Hit Ducks Club - Pro Staff
DE-DuckNBass
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Had a few of bucks calls, not my style. I'd go with something else if I were you.
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:34 pm

None of them are good. The reactor and the foul mouth are the only ones I would reccomend
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby noose374 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:06 pm

No, none of them are expensive, they all sound like hens. They aren't show pieces or collectors items like RNT's and folks don't seem to like them, but ducks sure do.
noose374
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:20 pm

I shoulda specified. The calls are on clearance for a reason. BG makes some good calls, some bad (My opinion). The calls on sale are not that good. I had a buddy who thought he was getting a steal for a $15 Spitfire and it was crap, The call kept squealing and sticking, he traded it for a Echo diamond wood and it was much better. I had a double nasty 2 and it sounded like a kazoo. Now on the other hand I have a fowlmouth which I love and a Reactor which is pretty good also.
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:21 pm

I personally think Buck's calls are underrated. He makes a really good sounding duck call and the Kryptonite is a great comp. call. The Reactor and Buck Brush are my two favorites. I have also hear great things about the Slampiece too :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby sharris » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:45 pm

I bought the spitfire and the buck nasty on the sale and I got them in early last week. I like how the buck nasty sounds better than the spitfire (but I prefer double reeds), and I'll be trying it as my primary call this season.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 20
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby Fattygreens » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Buck makes as good a call as anyone in the industry :thumbsup: Anyone that says otherwise would make me question how good they can operate a call :lol:
Fattygreens
hunter

Postby daffy... » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:36 pm

there my favorite. like them all but spitfire and reactor. I like double nasty, tall timber, and krypotonite

never used there goose calls though
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby jwkilgore » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:49 pm

of the mass produced calls made from plastic, they are the best sounding calls in that category for their price, in my opinion.
jwkilgore
Newb

Postby Bull Can » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:03 pm

Decent calls to start out on. And lets be honest, who didn't learn how to duck call with a Buck?
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby NvWaterfowler » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:57 pm

I have close to 50 RNT calls from OSDC's and hand cut calls to the 3 newest calls and every one in between and still drag out an acrylic Tall Timber from time to time.
"BATTLE BORN"
NvWaterfowler
hunter

Postby kbooger » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:22 pm

I have a spitfire and double nasty II and I like both a lot. In the cold the DN2 will stick tho. But for $20 its a very good call.
kbooger
hunter

Postby cowboykerk » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:41 am

I use the Canada hammer, and haven't had any issues. Call sounds great too. Dropped alot of geese with it last year.
cowboykerk
hunter

Postby drew_timothy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:16 pm

Ive used all sorts of calls, echo, rnt, death row, still have a spit tech spitfire on my lanyard though. In my opinion that 40 dollar call fits my style perfectly. And it has never stuck on me. I cant say that about many of my calls but that one is a good one. I had a double nasty too but didnt like that one as much, more of a single reed fan.
drew_timothy
hunter

Postby TNDUCK34 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:53 pm

My wife bought me a Slam Piece for my birthday in August of 2012, and i like it a lot. It's a loud version of RNT's DC. It has never stuck on me. :thumbsup:
Waterfowl Obsession: a term used by the lazy, and uncommited
TNDUCK34
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:32 pm

The honker hammer was the call I learned to use a short reed. It is a very limited call meaning it will only do so much. Good call for $20. I bought the Field Proven Raptor Polycarb for $20 and it is hands down much better of a call in every aspect. The spitfire is an OK call as well. I love it because it never sticks and that's crucial for the conditions I hunt. If you can buy it for less than $30, I would give it a go. The best duck call I have would be the Mallard Hammer, I believe. It's the one that Ducks Unlimited gave away for a sign up. It's loud and very versitle. As for the rest, I wouldn't be able to tell you. If you can get a Buck Brush, I hear that it is a great call for the money.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Fattygreens wrote:Buck makes as good a call as anyone in the industry :thumbsup: Anyone that says otherwise would make me question how good they can operate a call :lol:

THIS! :thumbsup:

And, he has a deal going with DU and Delta to supply calls for giving out to kids at various waterfowl related events. That alone should warrant some level of support.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby John Duck » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:27 pm

noose374 wrote:No, none of them are expensive, they all sound like hens. They aren't show pieces or collectors items like RNT's and folks don't seem to like them, but ducks sure do.

You got that right. Nothing is so much bull than duck calls, except maybe fishing lures. It's all for show as the insides are the most important part and the inside barrel is the same on 90 % of calls. It's mostly reeds and how they are cut. Buck G. calls do the job and double nasty will do same job as calls costing 5 times as much. It's not the tool, it's the carpenter and you can bet that musically inclined are the best callers or least people that can tell one tone from another.
John Duck
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum