September geese

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

September geese

Postby BonzaiDuck227 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:53 am

With the September season well under way how is everyone's hunts been going? I've only been able to get out for 3 short hunts so far and managed to get 5 birds. I've been seeing more and more birds like crazy though.
BonzaiDuck227
hunter

Re: September geese

Postby Citori16 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:56 pm

Not getting out yet, but been keeping an eye out. Saw a bunch of geese along the shore early in the week, but they moved out. Have not been away from work long enough to scout inland. Good to hear you got 5.
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby bigkat3533 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:52 pm

I have been trying to get myself a goose I have only shot one in 5 yrs wich translates into going out about 20 time I live up in Danielson ct I have a boat and a yellow lab to retrieve the only place I have hunted goose is west Thompson dam can anyone point me in the right direction where I should try or is there anyone I can tag along with its me and my buddy this year and we are learning and determined so any help would be awesome we are both marine vets we went to Iraq twice and would be very respectful and help in any way if we could tag along wd are willing to drive where ever needed to meet up we just really want to learn how to hunt ducks and geese
bigkat3533
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:50 am

There are alot of people here way better at this than me, however, I can get you started based on what has been succesful for me in the past:

1. Scout. Take some time in the early morning and look for flocks in the air, on the fields, on the water. Correlate this on a map to figure out where they are roosting (spending the night) and where they are flying to. If you can get permission to hunt where they feed, that is tops. If you can get permission to hunt along their flight route, that can work. BE where THEY want to be, WHEN they want to be there.

2. Observe. Some flocks stick to themselves and don't want to join a big group. Some like safety in numbers. Set up your decoys the way your flock prefers. If that means no decoys so be it. Remember that from far away geese look like they are close together when in fact they can be 7 to 10 yds apart. Set up like they like it.

3. Calling. If you ain't good, don't bother. Get a DVD like "Bad Grammar" or similar. Learn how to call, and then learn what your flock likes to hear by listening to them. If that means no calling, so be it. The first call I was successful with cost about $15, it only does honks, but I learned to do it real well, and not overdo it. I have called small flocks to woodland areas, I'm guessing to investigate what they thought was a lost member.

4. Hide. I swear some birds have IR detectors like "Predator". Fog is your friend. So is mud, grass, weeds, corn stalks, burlap and such. If you see everyone using layout blinds, switch to something different. Keep them guessing, because they will figure things out eventually. If the terrain has soft edges, birds will pick out your hard ones. Blend. Keep your eyes down, and cover your face. Don't use laundry brighteners on your clothing, in fact, lightly brush mud on everything except your decoys. Most Connecticut geese have been hunted hard, those setups you see about Sasketchawan on TV will probably not work here. Repeat to yourself: "I am become DIRT".

5. Dues. If you've only hunted one place, you haven't paid them.
Citori16
hunter

Postby BonzaiDuck227 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Citori16 wrote:There are alot of people here way better at this than me, however, I can get you started based on what has been succesful for me in the past:

1. Scout. Take some time in the early morning and look for flocks in the air, on the fields, on the water. Correlate this on a map to figure out where they are roosting (spending the night) and where they are flying to. If you can get permission to hunt where they feed, that is tops. If you can get permission to hunt along their flight route, that can work. BE where THEY want to be, WHEN they want to be there.

2. Observe. Some flocks stick to themselves and don't want to join a big group. Some like safety in numbers. Set up your decoys the way your flock prefers. If that means no decoys so be it. Remember that from far away geese look like they are close together when in fact they can be 7 to 10 yds apart. Set up like they like it.

3. Calling. If you ain't good, don't bother. Get a DVD like "Bad Grammar" or similar. Learn how to call, and then learn what your flock likes to hear by listening to them. If that means no calling, so be it. The first call I was successful with cost about $15, it only does honks, but I learned to do it real well, and not overdo it. I have called small flocks to woodland areas, I'm guessing to investigate what they thought was a lost member.

4. Hide. I swear some birds have IR detectors like "Predator". Fog is your friend. So is mud, grass, weeds, corn stalks, burlap and such. If you see everyone using layout blinds, switch to something different. Keep them guessing, because they will figure things out eventually. If the terrain has soft edges, birds will pick out your hard ones. Blend. Keep your eyes down, and cover your face. Don't use laundry brighteners on your clothing, in fact, lightly brush mud on everything except your decoys. Most Connecticut geese have been hunted hard, those setups you see about Sasketchawan on TV will probably not work here. Repeat to yourself: "I am become DIRT".

5. Dues. If you've only hunted one place, you haven't paid them.

Well written!
BonzaiDuck227
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:01 am

bigkat3533 wrote:I have been trying to get myself a goose I have only shot one in 5 yrs wich translates into going out about 20 time I live up in Danielson ct I have a boat and a yellow lab to retrieve the only place I have hunted goose is west Thompson dam can anyone point me in the right direction where I should try or is there anyone I can tag along with its me and my buddy this year and we are learning and determined so any help would be awesome we are both marine vets we went to Iraq twice and would be very respectful and help in any way if we could tag along wd are willing to drive where ever needed to meet up we just really want to learn how to hunt ducks and geese

Hey Leatherneck,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE WITH THE FEW, THE PROUD, AND THE BEST DAMN FIGHTING WARRIORS ON PLANET EARTH! Send me a PM with your contact info and I'll try and hook you boys up.

Perhaps "Citori" just does not comprehend that as proud members of the USMC, you Devil Dogs certainly know the art of recon and concealment, how to shoot, and that regardless of waterfowling skills or the lack thereof, THAT YOU HAVE MORE THAN PAID
YOUR DUES! ! ! ! :thumbsup:

I find it pathetic that more of the readership have not stepped up to help you VETS out? So Marine, get those COMMs out to me ASAP and we'll see if we can't take out some Honkers. It would be an honor. :bow: :bow: :bow: :beer: :beer: :beer:

SEMPER FI MATES,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:38 am

Perhaps "Citori" just does not comprehend that as proud members of the USMC, you Devil Dogs certainly know the art of recon and concealment, how to shoot, and that regardless of waterfowling skills or the lack thereof, THAT YOU HAVE MORE THAN PAID

I find it pathetic that more of the readership have not stepped up to help you VETS out? So Marine, get those COMMs out to me ASAP and we'll see if we can't take out some Honkers. It would be an honor. :bow: :bow: :bow: :beer: :beer: :beer:

:lol: It's not like I told them how to shoot.

But realistically, this sounds like it is more about you wanting to compete with me. OK, you win, I'm not sure what IT is, but you can have IT. :huh:

You don't know anything about my military history, nor would I tell you. I think it shall suffice to say that I have watched many a warrior fumble when something was done for them, and then helped them succeed when they were given instruction and allowed to accomplish it on their own. Some were Bulldogs, some were SF, and some are still wiping Fallujah dust out of their laugh lines.

Glad you're helping them out in your way. My way is to believe that people are capable of ANYTHING with a little instruction, encouragement and truth. I honor that code of dignity, self-reliance and indomitable spirit.

I believe in their ability, do you?
Citori16
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Citori16 wrote:

:lol: It's not like I told them how to shoot.

But realistically, this sounds like it is more about you wanting to compete with me. OK, you win, I'm not sure what IT is, but you can have IT. :huh:

You don't know anything about my military history, nor would I tell you. I think it shall suffice to say that I have watched many a warrior fumble when something was done for them, and then helped them succeed when they were given instruction and allowed
to accomplish it on their own. Some were Bulldogs, some were SF, and some are still wiping Fallujah dust out of their laugh lines.

Glad you're helping them out in your way. My way is to believe that people are capable of ANYTHING with a little instruction, encouragement and truth. I honor that code of dignity, self-reliance and indomitable spirit.

I believe in their ability, do you?

Citori,
You have my complete apology. Sometimes the written word is unclear or as in this case, misunderstood. I just have a problem with the an utterance About "dues not being paid" and United States Marine being used in the same sentance, especially when it involves combat veterans. My assumption is that you agree with me on that. Having read your follow up post, I believe you to be a man of honor and that you were offing up help to the OP and your advice was definitely sound specific to hunting waterfowl.

I guess I just let my frustration get the best of me in that "fowlers" were not tripping over their scatterguns to help these VETS out. Nothing at all to do with competition between you and myself. I have absolutely no problems with you and hope that you understand that. As for your military service, THANK YOU, and no explanation needed.

I hope others join us in helping these guys out and honoring their request for some help in getting up and running. As for my belief in their abilities, hell, they are U.S. Marines, no doubts from me and enough said on that.

I hope you and I are squared away and that there is no lingering misunderstanding nor animosity. :thumbsup:

Cheers Mate, :beer:
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:24 pm

All is good...go get them on some honkers... :beer:
Citori16
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Citori16 wrote:All is good...go get them on some honkers... :beer:

Citori,
"ALL IS GOOD", ROGER THAT! I sent those Devil Dogs a PM, I'll get them out if they get back to me. Put some Canada's on deck this AM, my first day out this season! They sucked right into the KZ as though pulled by a magnet. Lights out! :hi: I'll be back at them on Wednesday with 5 o' me gunning partners. If the Honkers cooperate, it should be a major swat. Hopefully we will see more flights than this morning.

Aye Lad, glad we are good to go, have a super season! :thumbsup:

Cheers Mate,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting