"Other" Breeds

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: "Other" Breeds

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:36 am

assateague wrote:I just got a griff, and he's far from sensitive. When I yell, he often cuts his eyes at me and non-verbally cusses me back. Although I read the same things you've read about them, I think, I've found it to be far from the case, at least with this one.

Dutch29.jpg

Assa, what's up with your pup? Have you posted any recent pics or done anything with it yet?
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby dennisj70 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:23 am

Dont go with the Dd unless u have the time..real time...u wont do the dog any justice.someone to help you train/with drat experience For your first one...and if only hunt one species. ..stay with the lab.......
Any a bunch of money to properly train the dog.... say like a least 4 grand.....that includes the 1000.00 puppy..
Yes u can do it cheap as hell...but your getting the best ..put the best into it .....
dennisj70
hunter

Postby Chewy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:15 pm

1383401_512373785517323_283807936_n.jpg
1233568_514816905273011_726680032_n.jpg
I can't say enough about the griffon!! I'm not sure if the breed would meet your needs but mine has been awesome so far and has only required obedience training to this point. Retrieves ducks, banana peels, and is a great family dog!!!
Chewy
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:49 pm

great to see the younguns out there doing it :thumbsup:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby FFT » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Being in Alabama I suggest going to this event: http://www.sehc.org/p/armbruster-2013.html

I think you may be surprised as to the level these dogs are working at.
FFT
hunter

Postby Woodies12 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:39 am

Hey, sorry not trying to get off topic. But what are everyone's opinion about Brittanys? I like the size of the dog due to size of my home, i was interested in a boykin but they are very hard to find in south Mississippi.
Woodies12
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Woodies12 wrote:Hey, sorry not trying to get off topic. But what are everyone's opinion about Brittanys? I like the size of the dog due to size of my home, i was interested in a boykin but they are very hard to find in south Mississippi.

I really like britts, awesome family dogs, great upland hunters, and weather permitting very solid retrievers. I would have stayed with britts if they could have handled cold water. Should suit your needs great in south MS. Not as easy to find strong natural retrieving abilities as some other breeds. Do your homework and see the parents in action, should be able to find a good pup.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:18 pm

My Brittanies both doubled as waterfowl dogs (as did my English setters), with the most recent enjoying the benefit of a well tailored neoprene vest to ward off all but the coldest of our South Louisiana mornings. Great little dog for flotant hopping but not the best for maiden cane that had to be bulled through.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:43 pm

GSP all the way. Both of my guys are NAVHDA UT I dogs.

Barry's-Place-02-12-2011-022.jpg
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby mojo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:59 pm

I own a DD, and the last thing this breed is is soft.

They don't tend to do too well in heat however. Lots of guys own them in the south, and they'll be able to speak to it better than I can, but my DD absolutely hates the heat. That said, he's never shut down in it, and will go as long and as hard as I let him.....which is why you need to watch this breed to prevent problems (both with heat and other things like injuries, etc.).

Personally, if I lived in south I'd opt for the Deutsche Kurzhaar (DK). Bottom line is the german testing/breeding system works. That's not to say they are better than any other well bred gun dog, but the system is built around testing for, and producing results, and more often than not, it achieves that. Same would hold true for a NAVHDA GSP.

http://www.nadkc.org/

One other point...my DD is my buddy 12 months a year, my hunting buddy for 3 months (First time owner btw). DDs and DKs have a ton of "get up and go", and there's reputation out there that they are too much to handle, or too demanding, or not good house pets. I've only seen that opinion expressed by people who have never owned one.
mojo
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Two pages of replies and the English Springer Spaniel hasn't been mentioned?
I hunted behind them for 25yrs... lots of heart and very versatile in the uplands and marsh. My Kelli would tackle a giant canada crip and drag it back if she couldn't pick it up!
So here's a vote for the field-bred 'Springer.
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:51 pm

mojo wrote:I own a DD, and the last thing this breed is is soft.

They don't tend to do too well in heat however. Lots of guys own them in the south, and they'll be able to speak to it better than I can, but my DD absolutely hates the heat. That said, he's never shut down in it, and will go as long and as hard as I let him.....which is why you need to watch this breed to prevent problems (both with heat and other things like injuries, etc.).

Personally, if I lived in south I'd opt for the Deutsche Kurzhaar (DK). Bottom line is the german testing/breeding system works. That's not to say they are better than any other well bred gun dog, but the system is built around testing for, and producing results, and more often than not, it achieves that. Same would hold true for a NAVHDA GSP.

One other point...my DD is my buddy 12 months a year, my hunting buddy for 3 months (First time owner btw). DDs and DKs have a ton of "get up and go", and there's reputation out there that they are too much to handle, or too demanding, or not good house pets. I've only seen that opinion expressed by people who have never owned one.

Agreed on all accounts as applied to a Griffon, too. Mine hates heat but will hunt tirelessly, meaning I have to watch him. They can be stubborn but are no "harder to handle" than any lab I've owned. And they truly are the best family dogs--incredibly affectionate.
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Chewy wrote:
I can't say enough about the griffon!! I'm not sure if the breed would meet your needs but mine has been awesome so far and has only required obedience training to this point. Retrieves ducks, banana peels, and is a great family dog!!!

Chewy's not from Glacier Kennels, is he?
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby chrisss » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Have you tried cutting his hair in the summer?
chrisss
hunter

Re:

Postby Idaho Savage » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:49 pm

chrisss wrote:

Have you tried cutting his hair in the summer?

Assuming the DK is like a Griffon, you are never supposed to cut their hair, save their "bangs." Doing so will change their undercoat, sacrificing their cold-weather ability. That said, I use a Furminator on Steve to brush out his undercoat during the summer. It makes a HUGE difference in his comfort.
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby Chewy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:22 am

Idaho Savage wrote:
Chewy wrote:

No, Prairie Kennels in North Dakota!
Chewy
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:02 am

Chewy wrote:
Idaho Savage wrote:
Chewy wrote:

No, Prairie Kennels in North Dakota!

Regardless of the kennel, a good looking dog.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby rammajamma » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:23 am

I own an English Springer Spaniel. I trained the dog myself. He is a very good retriever and family dog. I live in South Alabama and keeping him cut during the summer is a must if you plan on training daily and being in a dove field in September. If you do decide to go with a different breed than a lab, do your research. I have seen too many ESP's that are show bred and have several medical problems and anxiety issues. Find field bred in any breed that you choose. Good luck with your search.

Spending the extra money to have a dog professional trained is well worth it over the dogs life. I promise you. There is nothing worse than a breaking and whining dog in a blind.

Oh, and no tail to knock over your beer. Thank goodness, because if you have ever been around an ESP, you know that there tails never stop.
rammajamma
hunter

Postby Deuce22 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:57 am

I second the DD comments. First time owner/handler here, my DD is my first dog, let alone hunting dog. Not soft, determined and persistent while hunting, sometimes to a fault. I hunt, train, and test her in VDD and NAVHDA and she is also a good house dog. Furminator and a good stripping knife is your best friend to manage their coats. NEVER cut/trim a wirehaired breed.
Deuce22
hunter

Postby BoomStick79 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:04 am

I got a draht last year after owning labs for years (I still love labs). Drahts definitely get my vote. Like others have mentioned mine hates the heat but I wouldn't trade him for anything. I'm sure some might take issue with this but I took him quail hunting at 4 months and he pointed and retrieved half a dozen. Took him on his first duck hunt last month at 10 months old and he retrieved nearly all the ducks shot (friend brought his gsp). On his first duck hunt he even brought back a live goose that had some fight left in it. The wife seems to like the hound as well.
BoomStick79
hunter

Postby Deuce22 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:16 am

Boom - that's a good looking ugly dog... I see it shares my DD's propensity for sleeping while showing off the goods. What kennel/breeding if he from? PM is fine if you don't want to post.
Deuce22
hunter

Postby BoomStick79 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:28 am

Deuce22 wrote:Boom - that's a good looking ugly dog... I see it shares my DD's propensity for sleeping while showing off the goods. What kennel/breeding if he from? PM is fine if you don't want to post.

Thanks Deuce. He's from Vom Roten Fluss in Oklahoma. I'll be testing him this upcoming spring
BoomStick79
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:16 pm

Broomstick,

Didn't realize you were an Oklahoman and fellow 'ugly dogger.' I live just south of Norman.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Deuce22 wrote:Boom - that's a good looking ugly dog... I see it shares my DD's propensity for sleeping while showing off the goods. What kennel/breeding if he from? PM is fine if you don't want to post.

:lol3:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381544944.812935.jpg

He just turned 4 months. We've been swimming 4 days a week, and walking bean fields and tax ditches daily, just for experience. Been trying to stay focused on OB and new experiences up to this point. He's doing great, and I feel like we're pretty much at the point to start formal "work".
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381544972.870431.jpg

You can't see it here, but there's another bumper on the far shore. When it's play time at the pond, we work on honoring. Neighbors dog gets the first while Dutch waits, and when the lab is returning I throw the bumper for Dutch and send him. And by "send him", I mean "I let go of his collar", at this point :lol3:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381545161.367638.jpg
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Deuce22 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Nice! Looks like you've got a great pup there. Will be retrieving ducks in no time!
Deuce22
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum